[COMPLETE][DR]Dave Brings Home A Wife, by Steele Rudd-kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

[Dramatic Read] Dave Brings Home A Wife, by Steele Rudd (1868 - 1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/dave-brings-home-a-wife-by-steele-rudd/
This is a self-contained story-arc over eight chapters from the pages of Steele Rudd's book "Back At Our Selection". The Synopsis: After being a shy bachelor for a number of years, Dave (Dad Rudd's second eldest son) has finally got married. To a "Girl from Town" named "Lily White". When she first arrives at "Ruddville", she and Dave's sister Sarah get on wonderfully. But after some months, friction between the two young women sets in, and Dave and Lily seek to have a separate house of their own on the extensive Rudd property. But Dad, though now a prosperous farmer, started out with his wife and children in a two-room settler's slab-hut, and has a notion ... exacerbated by tightfistedness ... that all young folk should start out their married life like that and work their way up. So he finds, demolishes, carts, and re-erects a forty-year-old abandoned shack on his own property for his son and daughter-in-law. They acquiesce to accepting it, and in time even become rather contented there. But soon, Dave's mother-in-law arrives for a visit, and cranky old Dad Rudd finally meets his nemesis. (Summary by Son of the Exiles)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text : https://books.google.com.au/books?id=TthNAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f;=false

Please read only from the Colour-Coded Script here: . https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OWSubZ7NWneNA4K3Xp1rIauu6rE0J-U2e9h0j7olYJ0/edit
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Humorous Fiction; Family Life

Keywords that describe the book: humor, humour, australian, farming, pioneer, family life

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
      Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Dave Brings Home A Wife, by Steele Rudd. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      davebringshomeawife_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

File-name template for the final assembled file: davebringshomeawife_##_rudd_128kb

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on April 27th, 2018, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

CAST LIST

Narrator - Beth (Elizabby) has already kindly volunteered to narrate for us. CLAIMED - Elizabby.

Dad Rudd, Australian farmer - Patriarch of the Rudd clan. Can be charming, but something of a blowhard. CLAIMED - Son of the Exiles.

Mother Rudd, wife of Dad Rudd - Need I say it? ;) The Matriarch. The family "voice of reason", and the only person who can talk to Dad when he's in a temper. CLAIMED - benderca.

Dave Rudd, son of Dad Rudd - Slow-talkin', generally easy-going Aussie country boy. Newly-married in this story-arc. Tomas has previously expressed an interest in this role, so I am holding it for him. CLAIMED - WiltedScribe.

Sarah Rudd, daughter of Dad Rudd - Rather tough Aussie country girl. Initially very affectionate to her new sister-in-law, but develops a bit of a chip on her shoulder after a while. CLAIMED - Ealswythe.

Lily White, newly married to Dave - A "Girl from Town", initially used to having things done for her; this is the primary cause of her falling-out with Sarah. After she and Dave get their own place, however, she learns to "pitch in". CLAIMED - mightyfelix.

Lily’s Mother - Dave's mother-in-law. Five feet of feistiness. When she comes for a visit, Dad Rudd finally meets his nemesis. CLAIMED - Kitty.

Joe Rudd, son of Dad Rudd - Has always been the clown of the family, but by this point has developed into a reliable farm hand. Thinks his Dad's a bit of a dill. (ie, "twit"). CLAIMED - NemoR.

Bill Rudd, son of Dad Rudd - Small bit part. CLAIMED - Foon.

Barty Rudd, son of Dad Rudd. Medium bit part. CLAIMED - PeterMusgrove.

Jimmy Regan - Neighbour to the Rudds - An Irish accent is great if you can manage it, but is not neccessary. CLAIMED - ToddHW.

Young Regan - Neighbour to the Rudds. Aussie son of Irish neighbour. Smart-alec teenager, who has a bit-part sassing and contradicting Dad. CLAIMED - EvieMaria.

Willie Wiley - Orphan boy adopted by one of Dad's neighbours. Small bit part as a messenger. CLAIMED - Foon.

Mary Murphy - Daughter of one of Dad's neighbours. Small bit part. CLAIMED - leanneyauyau.

The Parson - small bit part. CLAIMED - silverquill.

Mrs Walker - small bit part. CLAIMED - catharmaiden

Building Contractor - small bit part. CLAIMED - silverquill

If you want to get a bit of the idea of the way some of the characters are usually portrayed visually in books and films, here are the opening credits of the 1995 film version of Steele Rudd's "Dad & Dave" stories.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AdI-8NIgkRsFG1TyfycZBms_GAansfoT
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on December 30th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah I see this is launched. Well I will hop in quickly to claim Lily's mom. I hear she's a feisty person, and has the added bonus of fighting with Dad Rudd. :lol:

I can MC this as well...

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chris, do you really only want 8 sections ? I'm just asking because usually you need more for all those roles :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok MW is up. You can start filling it in. I also put myself in as DPL. Now be eternally grateful. :lol:

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll play Lily, please.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'll play Mary Murphy?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, time for something small, so I'd be glad to fill in for the Parson. I guess I could manage the Contractor too, since they are far apart.
~ Larry
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Why is my role "pending confirmation" here? :hmm: My interest in the role hasn't dwindled in three days. :lol:

Needless to say, I'm in for Dave!
Tomas Peter
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

I'll take Sarah! :D

Thank you! :D
Last edited by Ealswythe on April 28th, 2018, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can handle a small role - howsabout Jimmy Regan? Not sure me accent'll actually be Iraish, but it should fit in okay.

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Thanks everyone!

I've updated everyone on the Cast List post.

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I can move us over to Dramatic Reading then. :)

And as per request, I delete the final sections since they are redundant anyway.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Mother Rudd please.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

benderca wrote: April 29th, 2018, 11:32 am Mother Rudd please.
Welcome aboard!

Chris