COMPLETE Marion Harland's Complete Etiquette -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Carolin wrote: April 27th, 2018, 7:42 am
Lmnei wrote: April 25th, 2018, 9:05 pm 1. There needs to be .5 to 1 second at the beginning of your recording. Right now there is less than .5 of a second.
2. The recording did not pass the Checker as the audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned. Your audio right now is at 51.0 dB and it needs to be down in the low 40's at the highest. If you are using Audible try going to Effects/Noise Reduction to reduce the noise. The challenge with this type of noise is that there is a very fine line with taking the tinny noise out and losing the sound of your voice so make sure you keep a backup of your file (personal experience!).
Hiya, i am posting this in the thread rather than via pm because i see this all the time.

1. This is a common misunderstanding. We aim for a short silence, not more than 0.5 to 1 seconds. So anything under is still fine. When you think about the relative importance of the silence of the beginning of a recording you will also agree that anything qualifying as short is fine, i usually still pass recordings as pl ok with up to 3 seconds. There is no reason to be counting fractions of seconds in any case.

2. Please dont follow the checkers advice on background noise but always trust your ears instead. If the checker tells you there is background noise but you dont hear anything disturbing, let it pass. There is a chance that an unnecessary round of noisecleaning decreases the sound quality.

As i said, these are common misunderstandings, no doubt these have been pointed out to you by a dpl for one of your own recordings. I try my best to set these things right but i dont catch it each time. Thank you!
You know Carolin - it is hard remembering what each MC or BC wants when being a DPL for them - each seems to have their own preferences :)

I thought the .5 minimum silence was needed due to the process of putting recordings publicly on Librivox - that is what I was told however I do not remember by who - it was somewhere in my last 1000 recordings.

That said, I HAVE been told that the DPL's feedback is just that (I think you told me that!) and you CAN pick and choose what you want to fix.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

DianaS wrote: April 27th, 2018, 10:06 am Hi, here is Section 27 When Travelling time=19:7.74

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_27_harland_128kb.mp3
Excellent recording Diana!

Section 27 is PL OK! :clap:

Carolin - please mark PL OK when you add the recording to the MW.

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
DianaS

Post by DianaS »

DianaS

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Kathleen -

Sections 36, 37 and 38 are all PL OK! :clap:

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

DianaS wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 6:26 pm Hi, here is Section 24 In Public time = 16:28.60

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_24_harland_128kb.mp3
Hi Diana -

Great reading of Section 24 -

Minor update needed - 8:59 Stumble… We shall be glad….

CAROLIN - Please mark as See PL Notes when you enter the recording in the MW.

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hello--Section 33-Church and Parish-is ready for PL. Length is 9:58 and the link follows. Lora

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_33_harland_128kb.mp3
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ADKreader1122 wrote: May 4th, 2018, 10:51 am Hello--Section 33-Church and Parish-is ready for PL. Length is 9:58 and the link follows. Lora

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_33_harland_128kb.mp3
Hi Lora -

It is absolutely a pleasure listening to your recordings - you are improving with each one!

Section 33 is PL OK - Carolin can you please mark it so when you put this recording into the MW?

Lora - more of an advanced type of feedback - can you please take a breathe before you read the poetry lines in future recordings? I think that they should be recognized as such and not part of the text and it will sound better in your readings.

Have a great day!

Lynda
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Thanks, Lynda; your advice about pausing before the poetry lines is something I'll remember. I do appreciate your feedback! Have a good weekend. Lora
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
MonikaR
Location: near Zurich (previously Geneva, Paris and Frankfurt)

Post by MonikaR »

Here is Chapter 6: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_6_harland_128kb.mp3, 25:46.5

Have a good Sunday.

Monika
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin