COMPLETE: Life and Lillian Gish by Albert Bigelow Paine - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

johnb2 wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 7:59 pm part 3/chapter 10 @ 15:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeandlilliangish_46_paine_128kb.mp3
excellent reading and no errors at all. What a difference between the two chapters I just listened back to back. In the first Lilian was a little child sleeping on a train-seat and in the second she was a woman, residing in a castle with friends.

And woah, the part about the stigmata of Therese Neumann was heavy. I was curious and googled her and there are actually pictures of her wounds and blood streaming out of her eyes :shock:

Anyway, the section is PL ok. Thanks for the great help you have given this project, John :) And I hope to meet you in another project one day soon.

Sonia
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Thank you Sonia and Tomas for your encouragement. You made it a pleasure to narrate Life and Lillian Gish. All the best.

john
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Kitty wrote: April 24th, 2018, 5:01 am
JudeSomers wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm I've just uploaded Section 6 (length 22:13)
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeandlilliangish_06_paine_128kb.mp3
excellent reading, Jude, thank you so much. Life on the road was quite hard for a little girl back then. :? I loved your narration, it was interesting to listen to. And the entire text was flawless, unfortunately you have a small error in the end disclaimer:

> at 22:04: the ending should be: “End of Part 1, Chapter 5” (no need to mention “section 6”)

apart from that, all was well.

Thanks

Sonia
My apologies - I've just uploaded a corrected version of Part 1 Chapter 5 to replace the old one.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeandlilliangish_06_paine_128kb.mp3

Glad you caught that oops.

Jude Somers
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JudeSomers wrote: April 24th, 2018, 5:34 pm My apologies - I've just uploaded a corrected version of Part 1 Chapter 5 to replace the old one.
hi again,

sorry, I was probably a bit imprecise in my notes :oops: I meant, you only need to say "End of Part 1, Chapter 5." Currently you are saying "End of Part 1. End of Chapter 5." Which is technically not quite right, because it is not the end of part 1 yet, but only of chapter 5 of part 1.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sonia, I checked Jude's file and found that the edit was really easy to do on my end. So I did just that and re-uploaded, so it's now PL OK. :D Thank you for your contribution, Jude!
Tomas Peter
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 25th, 2018, 12:03 pm Sonia, I checked Jude's file and found that the edit was really easy to do on my end. So I did just that and re-uploaded, so it's now PL OK. :D Thank you for your contribution, Jude!
Thanks! loking forward to my new read.

Jude
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, Michael! :) The MW has been updated.

We're inching closer and closer to the finish line!
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sonia, my last batch of sections are now in the MW for PL. Please take your time and don't feel obligated to do them all at one go. Caroline still has a few sections left to finish. I thought I'd do them now, since I had the time.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Mfassio wrote: April 26th, 2018, 1:42 pm Hi, here are my 3 sections! Sorry for the delay.
better late than never, Michael, and it was well worth the wait. Excellent readings :9: I enjoyed them very much, especially because they all were a sort of continuity, all dealing with the war-chapters. Good choice to read them in a row.

Sections 28 and 30 are PL ok.

Small error for Section 29:

> at 3:27-3:32: this pause feels a bit too long for comfort :?

> at 3:32-3:37: “You may not know it, but if you have been in one raid, or one bombardment” – stumble and repeat, it seems you forgot to cut out the faulty sentence

Thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 26th, 2018, 5:22 pm Sonia, my last batch of sections are now in the MW for PL. Please take your time and don't feel obligated to do them all at one go. Caroline still has a few sections left to finish. I thought I'd do them now, since I had the time.
well I prefer to do the PL jobs as soon as they come in, if possible ;) otherwise they will pile up even more and I don't want the stress of a big backlog :lol:

your sections were quite short, so I had time. And they are excellented narrated, so at least the job is agreeable and easy. :9:

Interesting when I heard that Edward Steichen did some of her photographs. Not many people know that he was born in a small village in Luxembourg. His parents were Luxembourgers, emigrated to America soon when he was still a child. We have his famous Family of Man exhibition here in Luxembourg. 8-)

Sections 47, 56 and 57 are already PL ok.

Section 40:

> at 5:22: “how a countryman” – I hear only “country” :hmm:

Section 43:

> at 2:18: “of those written of Hester and Mimi” – I barely hear “Mimi”. You still seem to have this problem that some endings are barely a whisper or entirely cut off. :( If that is the compressor doing it, I would suggest not using it anymore. I never use compression myself, so I don't know whether it could be the reason.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: April 27th, 2018, 1:31 am You still seem to have this problem that some endings are barely a whisper or entirely cut off. :( If that is the compressor doing it, I would suggest not using it anymore. I never use compression myself, so I don't know whether it could be the reason.
I don't use the compressor, either. :? It could be my noise cleaning, but I have not changed my settings in, like, two years. I do two rounds of cleaning, since one round still leaves behind some residue, then I sometimes level the track so that when I use ReplayGain the sound does not drop off too much. I also level because sometimes, when I normalize with ReplayGain, it clips some audio. So I apply leveling to prevent that.

Anyway, I have amplified the words in question so that they are more audible. Hopefully they're OK now. :|
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 27th, 2018, 11:51 am It could be my noise cleaning, but I have not changed my settings in, like, two years.
what settings do you have ?
I sometimes level the track so that when I use ReplayGain the sound does not drop off too much. I also level because sometimes, when I normalize with ReplayGain, it clips some audio. So I apply leveling to prevent that.
maybe it's the leveller then. I never use that one either :lol: But I don't know what could make some sounds so low that I barely can hear them.

Well both sections are PL ok now. The two words are still a bit on the low side but I can definitely hear that there is something.

Thanks !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: April 27th, 2018, 12:18 pm what settings do you have ?
They are:

Noise reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6.00
Frequency smoothing (bands): 150

Maybe if you have different settings, I could try those and see how they go.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 27th, 2018, 12:34 pm They are:

Noise reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6.00
Frequency smoothing (bands): 150

Maybe if you have different settings, I could try those and see how they go.
not sure if that changes much, I also have 12 and 6 but I have 0 instead of 150 in the frequency smoothing. That is the only difference. :hmm: But as I don't really know what those are, I don't know if that is the problem LOL

Sonia