Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

Thank you so much! That would be great!
~Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Chapter 3 is read splendidly.

There is an issue that exists with all the sections and that is the volume is too low, so I'm marking Chapter 3 as "see PL Notes". We strive for 89 dB as our volume, with a +/- of 2 dB being allowable. That give a window of 87 - 91 dB.

There were parts of Chapter 3 that were so quiet that I had to really crank the volume to hear them. That prompted me to check the file, and since one was low, I went ahead and did the others and confirmed that they are low also.

A quick amplification in your recording software would solve the issue!
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

Thanks for letting me know!

So should I fix all the files for this project?

Also, I'm still new to Audacity, so how would I do that?

Thanks!
~Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Personally, I'd do all 4 sections you've already recorded.

One of our awesome admins, Phil, created an excellent series on how to use Audacity. You can find the whole list of topics on the wiki at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_Tutorials or if video format is easier for you, there's the LibriVideo wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

Also, there's a program called Checker where you can check your own technical specs before uploading the file. It's found on the wiki at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

I hope that helps!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

All but Section 2 are great! Section 2 is coming in at 85 dB, so it's still just a hair low.
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

~Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

knittedpiano wrote: April 25th, 2018, 11:34 am Ok, here it is! Hope this is better!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/elsieatnantucket_02_finley_128kb.mp3

18:49
It's perfect! 2 is now PL OK!
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

Thank you very much!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to record anything this week, but I'll upload something as soon as possible.
~Amy
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

I'm really sorry I haven't been able to record anything yet! I have slightly lost my voice, but it should be good in a couple of days.

Sorry for the long wait!
~Amy
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

~Amy
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

~Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

PL Notes:

Section 4: Starting at about 3:39 and running for several second there's some very distracting background noise. I would suggest re-recording that section.

Section 5: at approximately 22:34, the end of the word "direction" is cut off.

The readings themselves were very good. I would note that it may be worth doing some specific noise removal to take care of the mouse clicking noise throughout, but I'm not going to say things aren't PL if it's left alone.

And if you don't mind my wholly unsolicited advice, I have found that using my arrow keys or the scroll wheel on the mouse to scroll down when I'm reading the text off of a browser window (especially from the Project Gutenberg website) takes care of the clicking sounds.
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano »

~Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »