[Complete] Celebrated Crimes V8, P3: Ganges - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by George Burnham Ives (1856 - 1930)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/celebrated-crimes-vol-8-part-3-the-marquise-de-ganges-by-alexandre-dumas/

The assassination of Diane de Joannis de Chateaublanc (the Marquise de Ganges) is a fitting tale to conclude Dumas’ celebrated crimes series. This event was as gruesome as it was brazen and, before the final dagger strokes, both the assassins and the assassinated had become embroiled in high-profile intrigues. As a result, it sent reverberations through common and court societies across Europe for decades. (jvanstan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2760
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1910
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Historical Fiction; *Non-fiction/True Crime

Keywords that describe the book: assassination, poisoning, marquise de ganges, diane de joannis de chateaublanc, languedoc

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Section title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename celebratedcrimesv8p3_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. celebratedcrimesv8p3_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 8: Part 3: The Marquise de Ganges

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnety
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Lynnet has volunteered to MC.
Pattymarie has volunteered to DPL.
Thanks so much :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set, John.
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Patty Marie -

Finally found some time to lay down a few sections on this project :) It was the last week of the semester... so grades had to go in :roll: Anyhow, so far I think this was an excellent crime to choose for the final story!

Should have the final section done soon.
Hope all's well!
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK. I hope to get the others done tonight.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie!

I decided to correct the Marquis v Marquise mispronunciations. Thanks for catching those! Given the importance of the listener being able to distinguish between these two characters, I agree that they should be correctly pronounced throughout :thumbs:

Section 3 if ready for a spot PL! My next project is Voltaire's Candide!! I know its already been done twice, but I love it. So, I'll stray from filling holes in the LV catalogue for a bit ;) But, soon after I plan to do Voltaire's Letters on England (which isn't in the LV catalogue yet, I think).

Hope all's well!
John
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jvanstan wrote: May 19th, 2018, 10:17 am Thanks, Patty Marie!

I decided to correct the Marquis v Marquise mispronunciations. Thanks for catching those! Given the importance of the listener being able to distinguish between these two characters, I agree that they should be correctly pronounced throughout :thumbs:

Section 3 if ready for a spot PL! My next project is Voltaire's Candide!! I know its already been done twice, but I love it. So, I'll stray from filling holes in the LV catalogue for a bit ;) But, soon after I plan to do Voltaire's Letters on England (which isn't in the LV catalogue yet, I think).

Hope all's well!
John
Are you reading Candide in French? I read it in high school as part of my advanced French curriculum. Never read it in English though.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I'd love to dpl Candide. I read it in college but don't remember it very well. It'll revive a bit of my education.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Something happened to the new file for section three. It breaks off at 6:14.

Sections 4 and 5 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Patty Marie, Lynne,

I uploaded the full Section 3 - sorry about that! Not sure what happened :/

As for Candide - I may be fast at laying down recordings, but I'm too slow at responding on the forum (typically only logging in once a week on the weekend...). As a result, it looks like the MC and DPL for the project have been claimed. But I'll send you two a PM when I'm setting up the next project: Voltaire's "Letters on England" :)

Hope all's well,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 3 is PL OK. I guess this one is ready to complete the series. Great contribution, John :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Working on it!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/celebrated-crimes-vol-8-part-3-the-marquise-de-ganges-by-alexandre-dumas/

Congratulations on a wonderful series :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Wow! That was lightening fast, Lynne.
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

pattymarie wrote: May 27th, 2018, 2:40 pm Wow! That was lightening fast, Lynne.
8-)

Full disclosure: if all the file names and tech. specs are OK (and they were) my job takes 2 minutes. The wait is down to Archive and that partly depends on how long the project is and also how busy they are plus other computer-type things that I don't understand.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

8-)
Pattymarie