COMPLETE A Legend of Montrose by Walter Scott -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

A Legend of Montrose by Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/a-legend-of-montrose-by-sir-walter-scott/
A Legend of Montrose is one of Sir Walter Scott's Tales of my Landlord. It is set in the tumultuous 17th century during the Earl of Montrose's military campaign in Scotland. Allan M'Aulay and his friend Lord Menteith both serve in Montrose's army, together with the loose cannon Dugald Dalgetty. The friends are also both in love with Annot Lyle, a beautiful young lady of mysterious heritage. Will they all make it through the war, and which of the friends will Annot finally choose? ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1461
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of A Legend of Montrose. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "A Legend of Montrose, by Sir Walter Scott. [Chapter title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of A Legend of Montrose, by Sir Walter Scott. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      montrose_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. montrose_01_scott_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i found this one list of the best books ever written (compiled by an author in 1908 i think), and it lists a number of walter scotts novels we dont have yet. this is another step towards making all titles in that list available :)

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
bwarcher

Post by bwarcher »

Hi, Carolin. It looks like I missed the boat for the King Arthur story. I do have a 1 minute test for you though, and my username (bwarcher) is fine for crediting purposes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest.mp3

Could I please start with Chapter 1 and then claim more once I finish?
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Carolin:

I would enjoy DPL-ing this (and maybe reading a section or two along?).

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both!

Philip, welcome to this project! :thumbs: any chance i could ask you yo check the one minute test posted above? I cant install checker on my tablet. Thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

bwarcher wrote: April 16th, 2018, 12:41 pm Hi, Carolin. It looks like I missed the boat for the King Arthur story. I do have a 1 minute test for you though, and my username (bwarcher) is fine for crediting purposes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest.mp3

Could I please start with Chapter 1 and then claim more once I finish?
Hi again, thank you for claiming. You are welcome to read that section. i have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here https://librivox.org/reader/12441

I hope that philip can check your test recording, otherwise ill do it asap. Thank you!
Carolin
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Brandon:

Welcome to Librivox! I have listened to your one minute test. Very nicely read. Crisp and clear enunciation and very pleasant to hear.

There are just a couple of items before I can clear this test:

(1) There is some background noise throughout the recording. One pass through a noise reduction utility should clear that up.

(2) The file is recorded in stereo...it should be in mono.

(3) This one is just something to keep in mind....the amplification range we strive for is between 86.5 and 92. This file came in at 91.6 which is acceptable but toward the high end. (You don't need to correct anything)

If you are using audacity to record, and need help, I can "talk you through" how to make those corrections to your test (they're pretty basic).

Many thanks,

Philip
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you philip!
Carolin
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

:thumbs:
bwarcher

Post by bwarcher »

Ok, great! Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I am using Audacity. The noise is probably coming from the highway that runs past my apartment. Here's the same thing in mono, with most of the noise removed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/1mintestnew.mp3

Also, here is my first attempt at reading chapter 1. Any thoughts/tips?

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/ch1_-_rough.mp3

--Brandon
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Brandon:

You have corrected the technical issues with the 1 minute test and you are cleared to record. I'll PL Chapter 1 a little later this evening.

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Philip
deongines

Post by deongines »

Can I claim sections 2 and 3? thanks, Deon
Turning it over in your mind will not plough the field.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Brandon:

Congratulations on completing your first Librivox recording. Before it can be marked PL-OK, there are a few corrections to be made (and then I will have a few suggestions based solely on my experience here and "what I do"--not that I am by any means an expert, but all I can share is the way I do things.) The file does not need to be re-recorded in total, by any means (that is rarely done here).

Corrections

1. The file name for your submission is in the incorrect format. The correct format is in the first post of this (and any project you undertake). Here's what it looks like for this project:

Save files as

montrose_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. montrose_01_scott_128kb.mp3)

It is vital to the cataloging process that the file names be in the correct format.

2. The silence at the beginning should be .5 to 1 second long. Here it is 5 seconds.
3. The silence at the end should be around 5 seconds--your file is 2 seconds long.

4. There were a number of Plosive errors (these can occur when a "t" "b" "c" "p" is pronounced). They tend to look like a "Z" turned sideways in the voiceprint. 13:56 is a clear example. There are plosive errors at 0:24, 11:56, 13:56, 14:41, 16:42, 17:09, 17:15, 17:16, 18:13, 18:15, 18:29. The way to avoid these is by placing your microphone either just above or just below your mouth opening, so the sounds don't explode directly into the microphone. To correct them in this reading, if you are skilled at editing digital audio, you can often clip the voice track at both sides of the sideways "Z" and that will eliminate the pops. If (like me) you are not so skilled, then you will need to re-record only the phrases where they occur. and paste them into your vocal tracks, "patching" the original track with your corrected one.

5. At 3:58-4:01 there is a noise like a car coming down the street. Just highlight that area and run your noise reduction as you did for your 1 minute test. That should clear it right up. If one time through doesn't, go for 2. At 7:29 there is a clicking noise which can be cut out.

6. There are a few reading errors also--but before I list them, I want to tell you how I DPL and what the proof listening standard means (at least what it means to me). My goal as a DPL is not to be critical and officious, but merely to help your reading be the best that it can be. The proof listening level for this project is not word perfect, but what is called "standard" That means I do not listen and watch the text word for word, but if I hear something that either doesn't make sense or is an obvious recording error (like a repeated phrase) then I make a note of it for the reader to correct. I do listen with a copy of the text open, so that if I hear something that doesn't sound right, I can look to see if it is actually in the text, but that's as far as I go.

AT 6:12 I heard "to the offensive": I expected to hear "to the defensive" this can be patched in like with the plosive errors.

At 6:52, the phrase "as well as" is repeated at 6:54. (simply highlight and cut out the first iteration at 6:52)

At 14:21, I heard British Parliament; I expected "English Parliament"

At18:00 There was an awkward hesitation at the phrase "the covenanting general"

Suggestions & What I do. You may already be doing some or all of these things (or accomplishing the same in result in another way from what I do) but I hope these will be helpful to you.

1. Download and use the checker after you have finished recording and editing your file. This will tell you if you have met the technical specs. The checker can be downloaded from this link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

2. It appears that you may need to you noise reduction frequently on your files (I have to on every one of mine--I don't even listen for it any more when I edit the file, I just go ahead and run it).

3. Avoid plosives with microphone adjustment (as stated above).

4. When you listen to your playback after you have finished recording, go ahead and edit the errors out. Just last week, I sent a raw file to be PL'd in another project here...SHEESH.....

5. Watch the beginning and ending silences.

6. Be sure the file name is in the correct format.

7. If something doesn't make sense or you don't understand it, ASK--we're all volunteers here and we're all here to help each other out. I have occasionally caught someone having a bad day but those temporary situations pass over and everything is fine.

8. If you mess up, don't agonize over it, just fix it or if you need help to do so (see#7). It happens to everyone here, especially me. I realize that there is a lot to absorb here, but don't be discouraged...reading here at Librivox is great fun and you meet lots of terrific folks from all over. I think you're going to do very well here.

If I can help in any way, I'll be more than happy to do so.

Many thanks,

Philip
bwarcher

Post by bwarcher »

Phillip,

Thanks so much for your clear and detailed instructions! I'll make those corrections and resubmit when I have a chance.

Brandon
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin