COMPLETE The Blue Aunt by Eliza White -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CharmingJo12

Post by CharmingJo12 »

Hi can I reclaim chapter 2, p9? Sorry I should have asked for an extension. I have recorded it but wasn't happy with my recordings,

Many thanks
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
CharmingJo12

Post by CharmingJo12 »

I'm almost ready to submit my recording :thumbs:
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

May I claim chapter one?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Of course, thank you!
Carolin
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/blueaunt_014_white_138kb.mp3

This is the link to chapter one of the blue aunt. :D
MamaEzrah

Post by MamaEzrah »

It looks like Ch 6 is still needing a reader. I'm happy to record it if that's the case.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

NishthaRocks wrote: April 19th, 2018, 9:05 am https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/blueaunt_014_white_138kb.mp3

This is the link to chapter one of the blue aunt. :D
One little thing, how long is the recording (mm.ss)? Please remember to always post the duration of a recording when you post a link so that i can update the magic window.

Also, whats the 4 doing in the file name? :) if the section is otherwise pl ok you neednt change the file name but if it isnt please also upload corrections with the right file name. Thank you!
Carolin
CharmingJo12

Post by CharmingJo12 »

This is chapter 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/blueaunt_02_white_128kb.mp3

It is 18.30 minutes long. It is a bot too quiet, I have already amplified it so I am aware it may still be too quiet!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 1 is very well done. However, it is too quiet. Please amplify by about 5 dB. Also, there are only two seconds of silence at the end, and you need to have five. Last, as Carolin pointed out, the file name is not correct. Please remove the "4" from the file name, and then it should be right.

EDIT: Whoops, one other error I just saw in the file name. It says "138kb" at the end and should be "128kb"
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've just had a listen to Chapter 2, and I want to give Jo a round of applause, for your first submitted recording! :clap: Your voice is lovely, and I like the expression you give. However, I found a few technical problems, and several stumbles and repeats. I kind of got the impression while listening that you were hoping to read the whole chapter without messing up, maybe not being aware of how to cut out flubs and mistakes? If that's the case, take a look at this before looking at the list of edits needed: Basic editing in Audacity This video in particular was hugely instrumental in starting me out and giving me confidence in how to make simple edits. There are several more instructional videos that this reader has made, and they can be found here. Now, don't be intimidated by this list, and whatever you do, don't start all the way over again from scratch! From your comment above, it sounds like you've already done that once or twice. This recording is a great jumping-off place. Just go through it and fix each problem one at a time. Some of the things I've pointed out are also somewhat optional, such as the stray clicks and bumps. It's helpful to start from the end and work your way forward. That way the time stamps won't change, and it'll be easier to find the problem areas.

Chapter 2 notes:
  • You are right that it is too quiet. You'll need to amplify by about 4 dB.
  • Starts with about 4-5 seconds of silence, then a rustling noise, then you begin speaking at about :06. Please remove that rustling noise and trim the silence to 0.5-1 second at the beginning.
  • Stumble at 0:13 "All LibriVox recordings are in the l- public domain." This is probably optional.
  • Audible mouse click at 0:21
  • You forgot to restate the title, along with author, after your name and before the chapter title: "The Blue Aunt, by Eliza Orne White." This should be inserted at about 0:26
  • Stumble at 0:35 "It was some weeks later, and has-- and as it had been a backwards spring..."
  • Stumble at 0:51-0:54 "Whilst the tu......... Whilst the scarlet tulips..."
  • Stumble at 1:20 "Their fa--Their mother sat in the parlor..."
  • Mouse click at about 1:51
  • Stumble at about 3:12 "The children were stationed one behind the--each gate post..."
  • Repeated word at 3:20 "before their father could--could help her"
  • At 3:25 that rustling noise appears again, behind your words this time. Not much you can do to remove it besides re-recording the sentence and patching it in, which is probably optional, since the noise isn't so much as to muffle your words. However, you'll want to be aware of these stray noises in future. Sometimes simply moving in your chair will cause a noise that the mic picks up. You can always pause, reposition, then begin speaking again, and edit out the pause later. :wink:
  • Stumble at 4:26 "said his h---said his father"
  • Stumble at 5:11 "talking about her journey from th---from the south."
  • Stumble at 5:27 "not to give her the satisf---this satisfaction."
  • Rustling noise (during a pause this time :) ) at 6:31-6:32
  • Stumble at 6:56 "...and he had su---and he had thought..."
  • Stumble and pause at 7:10-7:12 "and if---- and I should hardly believe..."
  • Mouse click at 8:14. I can't quite tell whether your words overlap it or not. If so, it will be difficult to remove without re-recording.
  • Stumble at 8:29 "There was a---There was a wisteria vine..."
  • Stray noise at 8:44 and 8:45. Sounds like a click, but not quite like a mouse click. Should be easy to remove.
  • Strange clicking also at 8:50. This one sounds almost electrical, like the mic cord was wiggling maybe. Not sure how easy it will be to remove.
  • Stumble at 10:25 "...I'd have--I'd never have time for anything else."
  • Longish pause at 10:47. "But he would....on no account" Trim this down a little and it should sound fine.
  • Stumble at about 13:03 "And is o---And there was one especial box..."
  • Repeat at 13:18 "You have been a great help to me--to me."
  • Stumble at 14:30 "But I must ha--I must find out what color..."
  • Series of electric-sounding clicks over your words at about 15:18-15:22. This again sounds to me like perhaps the cord is being jostled. You'll probably want to re-record and patch in this sentence.
  • Rustling noise again at 15:56
  • Rustle and slight bang at 16:58-16:59
  • At 17:08, it sounds like you got an email! :lol: This sentence really will need to be re-recorded and patched in. Starts out, "By squeezing them together, Evelyn was able..."
  • Stumble at 17:42 "We are all going to love Aunt Matil--Aunt Hilda."
  • Ending silence is too long. You only need 5 seconds of silence after "End of chapter 2." It also felt to me like the silence immediately before "End of chapter 2" was rather long. Have a listen, and trim it if you agree.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you devorah!
Carolin