'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tovarisch (tovarisch) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Many thanks to Tovarisch for his fine interpretation of the novela My Life and other pieces in Chekhov's The Chorus Girl and Other Stories. I especially enjoyed the combination English and Russian accents, which was just right for the material.

Thanks again.

Tom

All of tovarisch's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for k5hsj (Winston Tharp) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mr. Tharp,

I just finished listening to your narration of John D. McDonald’s A Bullet for Cinderella. Thank you for taking the time and exceptional care in making this excellent recording. As fan of McDonald from many years ago it was a great pleasure to rediscover him through your voice. I especially appreciated the care you took in altering your voice to suit the various characters. The slight echo effect of the radio announcer’s voice in diner scene was perfect.

Again, thank you.

Larry

All of Winston's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mr. Smith,
Thank you for reading "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stephenson for Librivox. We really enjoyed it. You did a great job with all of the Scottish dialect! We are from Travelers Rest, SC, so not too far from Simpsonville.
Thanks again,
Ian and Suzanne
and...
Thank you Mr Smith for your excellent reading of D.H. Lawrence's book Sons and Lovers. You made the characters come alive.
Yours sincerely,
Wendy

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Savage,
Thank you for reading the Little Princess and Railway Children. I'm using them for homeschool and I think your voice is really neat. Thanks for all you do!
-Lilly
and...
Thank you Karen for your wonderful reading of a number of children's books. I've listened to a number of books narrated by you, among them The Railway Children, The Secret Garden and the books in the Anne of Avonlea series. Everything was great, the pacing, intonation and the depictions of the characters are just so alive. And I am just really grateful that you have spent the time and effort to volunteer for reading them. They are books that I have loved since I was a child and kept re-reading them every year or so but with adulthood ramming into me like a bullet train, audiobook is a great way for me to keep them close to me without having to set aside time to read. And I appreciate it ever so much!

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ahab (Stewart Wills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hello,

I want to thank the reader Stewart Wills for his reading of Moby Dick or the whale. I would've never imagined reading a book like that in the past, as it has a reputation for being a difficult book. But with the lyrical narration of Stewart Wills, I can finally appreciate the book. I was surprised at how easy it was to listen to, even the chapter on cetology. People say they tend to skip that chapter, but I found it interesting. I've learned a lot about things referred to in the book. Wikipedia was open frequently during the reading, which helped me follow along. If I had been reading a physical book, I would've been less inclined to look up the references, which was honestly half the fun. And if I had been reading online, my eyes would've tired out from the screen light. I really liked being able to close my eyes and just listen and get transported to the sea. I learned a lot about whales and whaling, and enjoyed the philosophical discussions as well. The voice was very well suited for the book. Thank you for the reading.

All of Stewart's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Dear People of Librivox,

First, a plain “thank you” is just not enough to express my gratitude in words. I’ve been mostly bedridden for over a year with severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It is probably less known that CFS very often comes with some kind of sensory overstimulation. Since I got sick, and even more so since my condition got worse, I can’t stand any noise or visual stimulation. I spend most of my days in bed, with earplugs, in half-darkness. (Un)fortunately, I’m also a student – so all my reading abilities are invested in study. Before I got sick I used to read A LOT (fiction, history, philosophy) and listen to music. And when I got sick, and all the reading I could do was for my studies – I just couldn’t find anything to do to get some rest. I wore myself down with reading what I HAD to read.

And then I discovered LV. I started with some heavy stuff (Cicero, Homer, and I’m not a native English speaker, as you can probably tell already), and it was a slow start. A couple of months ago I dived into the LV archives – and now I can finally not only get the rest that I need (and I need A LOT of rest), but I also found that books that I’ve been putting off for decades in my native language (Hebrew) as being “too demanding” came easily when being read to me – and in English!

I also found books that have never been translated to Hebrew (and probably never will be).

My personal “thank you’s” (I don’t know how to tag people, so whoever reads this – please pass it on to these readers):

Dear Expatriate, so far I’ve listened to your reading of “Crome Yellow” by Aldous Huxley, some of Emma Goldman, and most importantly – “The Shadowline” by Joseph Conrad, who is by far one of my favorite writers (if not THE favorite). I’ve read “The Secret Agent” and “Under Western Eyes” a few years ago (and in Hebrew) and was amazed to hear that the exact voice and tone that echoed in my head while reading (in Hebrew!!) was your tone and voice in “The Shadowline” ! There is something about the way you read, the sense of urgency on one hand and the casualness on the other that sounds exactly as the pre-WW2 (and pre-WW1) writers should sound. It’s like as if you “get the zeitgeist”. Amazing!

Thank you, Lee Smalley, for “100%: A story of a Patriot” by Upton Sinclair. I actually felt that your reading made this book better than if I had read it myself. This was my first Sinclair, and I hope one day to listen to “The Brass Check” .

Thank you, Mark F. Smith, for “Kidnapped” by Robert Louis Stevenson. I’m trying to look up the books that I’ve read as a child so I can read them to my son (if available in recent translations, the Hebrew language has changed so much over the past 30-40 years). To my ears, your Scottish pronunciation sounded just perfect!

And last (for the time being), thank you, Adrian Praetzellis, for “Kim” by Rudyard Kipling. I’ve read (or my parents read to me in Russian, since I immigrated from the country-that-exists-no-more, the USSR, when I was 5) “Just So Stories” and “The Jungle Book” , but never “Kim” (excellent!) although I actually know a man whose name is Kim after this book (a very unusual name for a man here).

I would like to apologize to all the female readers: I value your work highly, it’s just too difficult for me to listen to high-pitched voices. So, being the feminist that I am, on account of that d***** CFS I’ll have to stick to readings by men until I get better.

THANK YOU!

(And if there’s a way to tag readers’ names, I would be grateful for instructions. I failed to find it myself.)
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us. :)

There is no way to tag people in the forums. I have sent a private message to each of the named readers and pointed them to this message. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

I appreciate your words, Daria... although I'm betting there are plenty of folks who read this forum that would dispute my Scottish accent! :lol: Ah well, I know I am at least a clear reader, and the important thing is for the author's words to come through. That, I will take credit for! :D
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jglange (Jonathan Lange) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Sirs,

Please transfer my thanks to Mr. Jonathan Lange for his contribution to Livrivox. I appreciate that he has put special interest in Lutheran theology and Church fathers. Normally I love to read these, but my sight is bad and only getting worst. To use the computer is very bad for me, but still here I am!
Many thanks and God blessings to all of you in Livrivox too.
Mercedes

All of Jonathan's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tovarisch (tovarisch) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I'd like to thank tovarisch for his recording of Turgenev’s A Sportsman's Sketches. A delight!

https://librivox.org/a-sportsmans-sketches-by-ivan-turgenev/

All of tovarisch's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenburg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you to this dear reader who has given my daughters and I such hours of enjoyment! We love you even though we've never met you!

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) and Sibella (Sibella Denton) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear LibriVox Responsible,

I hope you are having a great day.

It gives me great pleasure to know that I can actually send a "Thank
You Note" to the readers whose work I appreciated.

I would like to thank Bob Neufeld for his reading of "The Prince" and
"Notes from the Underground". His reading in spectacular! He takes
careful care of delivering every word with excellent pronunciation,
doing so through a genuinely lively delivery that is guaranteed to
keep the reader captivated throughout.

I would also like to thank Sibella Denton for her reading of "Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman".
The greatest thing that I can say about her vocal delivery of this
book is that, to this day, I still rank it as the best emotional
journey I've been on while listening to an audio-book. I sensed her
investment in delivering the book to the listeners and she no doubt
made the story animated!

Thank you and best regards,

Joeshwa

All of Bob's recordings!
All of Sibella's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for rory (Hazel Chant) and Hawden (Alan Chant) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Hazel and Alan Chant,

Thank you for your reading of The Wouldbegoods https://librivox.org/the-wouldbegoods-by-edith-nesbit/. It was delightful. Sometimes I wanted to give up on listening because the disasters caused by the children were so terrible. However, your performance was too good to abandon! Thanks again!

Darlene in Pennsylvania, USA

All of Hazel's recordings!
All of Alan's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Recently, I read the first half of Pinocchio to my 6yo son. He was enchanted. He begged for more chapters every night at bedtime. Then I got laryngitis. You can imagine the scope of the tragedy: no bedtime stories! No Pinocchio! But then I looked it up on Librivox, downloaded it, and let Mark Smith from SC read the rest of the book to my son while I had no voice. We all loved your reading, Mr. Smith. My son especially liked not having to wait two weeks to know what happened to the marionette next!
and...
Hello:

I would like this email directed to Mark F. Smith, one of your readers. Over the past few years I have become interested in audio books, with Librivox being one of my sources.

Mark, it is always a pleasure to listen to a book you have read. I am required to name a title, so The Swiss Family Robinson comes to mind, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes to name a couple, but there have been many more. I look forward to more of your readings in future.

For years I have wanted to catch up on a lot of the classic titles, even those meant for younger readers that I never did read as a child. I am 60+ now and have been mixing the heavy lit with a sprinkling of lighter reading. And of course, with an audio book, I can be reading (listening) as I tinker with other tasks.

Thank you again, your time spent reading is very much appreciated here.

Best regards,
George
Stratford
Prince Edward Island
Canada

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Many thanks for your lovely reading of Jane Eyre.

and...

Dear Elizabeth Klett,

Thank you so much for your reading of Jane Eyre! This is one of my favorite books, and your accent and voice and just overall style of reading is so perfect! You're awesome at getting the emotion and everything just right. There's not really a perfect way to describe how much I love it, but this will have to do. I have attached a meme below to better portray my feelings. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Forever a fan,

Rowan

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!