Am I able to record this book???

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

Hi,
I want to record a book called "The cave girl" by Edgar rice burroughs. I found it in the public domain. I have had mixed replies and need to know for sure. On the public domain it says the book was published prior to January 1, 1923. The link is below if anyone can help with a reply would be greatly appreciated!! I live in Australia.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cave_Girl

Thanks
Lucy
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Australia , you should be OK, because the change in the copyright law in 2004 was not retroactive, and since Burroughs died in 1950, his works are in PD in Australia.

But I am not a lawyer. :?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It sounds to me like you would be clear to do it. And it looks like that one isn't in the LV catalog yet, either, so it would be a good addition. :)
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

Thank you so much, I thought so but was not 100% sure.

Will go ahead with it!!

Lucy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Try to find a source that isn't Wikisource. They throw a restrictive license on their texts, so we shouldn't use them as a source.

It's not as nice to read from, but this is OK to use for LV: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000077957607;view=1up;seq=11
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

Hi Tricia,
I had a look at that but the one that is used on that site is last published in 1925 which would mean it's still in copyright?? Whereas the one I found is not in copyright as it was published in 1913?

Hope I am right about this. I can certainly look for another site with the same published year of 1913.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Lucy
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

Hi all,
I have found this on Gutenberg Australia. Please let me know if you still think it's outside copyright and able to be used for LV.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks12/1203771h.html

They all say this particular one was first published in 1913.

Thanks
Lucy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

HathiTrust is a site we trust - they vet their texts as well as Gutenberg.org does. So if it's available as full view on Hathi, it's PD in the USA.

I think in this specific case, the scan is a 1925 edition, but it wasn't edited such as to make a new copyright on it. (New printings that don't significantly change the text don't change the copyright.) That's my guess, anyway. :)

EDIT TO ADD: yes, looks like the PG.au version would be okay to use.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MisterJoe

Post by MisterJoe »

Hey Lucy, I just wanted to tell you thanks for doing this particular book. I LOVE E.R.B but had not heard of The Cave Girl. I think I'll wait and listen to your recording before I read the story. Some folks have nicely recorded a lot (maybe all) of the Tarzan series. I haven't looked for the John Carter stuff.
Thanks again!
lucylou40

Post by lucylou40 »

MisterJoe,
Thank you!! I am looking forward to it and the first chapter has already hooked me in!! The sequel to this is The Cave Man, which I will be doing straight after this one!!
I love ERB books too. I have listened to all the John carter ones, Pellucidar etc..Highly recommend them!!! The readers have done a magnificent job.

Enjoy!! I hope I don't take too long to finish this book!!!

Lucy