COMPLETE[GROUP]The Pirate Woman by Captain Dingle - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 30th, 2018, 2:48 pm Sure. That would be good to have in here, so please leave it.

Don't always need it - so if someone leaves it out they don't need to add it. (It only occurs every 3-4 stories or so.)
ok I'll mark it PL ok then. In fact it appears at the end of each "book", so 3 times in all. We could also make a note in the MW that you want it read if you wish. The two sections where it will occur have not been claimed yet anyway.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
GrimsonB

Post by GrimsonB »

Hi!

Sorry for the long delay!

You can find my recording here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_05_dingle_128kb.mp3

Any suggestions or feedback welcome!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

GrimsonB wrote: April 8th, 2018, 11:38 am Hi!

How long is the section, please?

Thanks, Todd
GrimsonB

Post by GrimsonB »

ToddHW wrote: April 8th, 2018, 11:58 am
GrimsonB wrote: April 8th, 2018, 11:38 am Hi!

How long is the section, please?

Thanks, Todd
15:10

Sorry, I should have included it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GrimsonB wrote: April 8th, 2018, 11:38 am Sorry for the long delay!

thank you so much Grimson, for this really entertaining listen :9: You have a perfect mix of quiet narrative voice and extremely well acted-out direct speech, with appropriate voice-characterizations. This makes the chapter wonderfully lively. I absolutely loved the deep voice you did for Milo. Gives one the right impression of this giant of a man. Oh and I seriously enjoyed the cheeky innuendo in your voice in this sentence: "with emphasis which she carefully cloaked yet made vivid—dainty ladies, no doubt" :thumbs:

I definitely need to point you towards the drama subforum, in case you are eager to try your voice in some real stage play. Lots of roles still available in all kinds of plays. I'm sure you will fit right in there and I hope to PL you soon over in one of those plays. 8-)

But now back to the chapter here. On the whole, basically a word-perfect narration, which unfortunately was cut short by mistake (I think). :(

Here are my few PL notes:

> from 0:26-0:32: 6 seconds seem really a bit too long before launching in the chapter proper. 1 or at the most 1.5 seconds is fully enough, otherwise the listeners will start thinking there is something wrong with the recording ;) I would significantly cut down the lengthy pause here.

> at 6:59: "those ears hear" - you say "eyes" which sounds a bit strange in the context

> at 15:10: what happened ? all of a sudden the recording breaks off in mid-sentence. You forgot to read the rest of the story, or else it was cut off by mistake. The following is still missing, along with the end disclaimer:

the tinkle of the sands came up to her ears like tiny bells.

Dolores followed with her eyes two swiftly moving figures on the shore path, hidden from the ocean by a mass of verdure, and she smiled cryptically. The giant Milo strode on his way like the embodiment of force; at his side tripped Pascherette, her glossy black crown barely reaching above his waist, her tiny hand hidden completely in his great fist. And she kept her bright eyes raised to his great height all the while, satisfied that her little feet should trip, perhaps, if only her eyes tripped not from his face.

Presently they stopped, and Dolores stood up alertly. There was but a moment's delay, while Pascherette bound her hair more securely; then, with a flirting hand-wave, the little octoroon darted from Milo, wriggled through the bushes, and ran lightly down to the sea. In another moment her small, black head was moving rapidly toward the schooner, her golden skin flashing warmly in the sun as her arms swept over and over in an adept stroke that carried her forward with the speed of a fish.

But as for the rest, really awesome reading. Kudos for your first LV recording. Hopefully many more to follow.

Sonia
GrimsonB

Post by GrimsonB »

Hey Sonia! Thanks so much for proof listening! I'm so glad you like my recording, I put a lot of effort into it.

I'm glad you like the "dainty ladies, no doubt" part. I chuckled thinking how I would record that, so I'm glad you had fun listening too.

I cut the long pause down to about a second.

> "those ears hear" can be found at 6:52

And yeah, I accidentally cut the ending. Weird. I exported it correctly this time. That section starts at around 15:05.

Thanks again for having gone through my entire recording! Here is my revision:

This track length is 16:33 (my browser thinks it's 16:34, but my media player thinks it's 16:33, so I'm not sure)

I had some trouble finishing this partially because my audio setup is really troublesome. I record on an ipod in my bathroom, then transfer the files, then edit. It's a little uncomfortable and slow. I recorded over 60% of this file after first getting the OK to record chapter 5, but then I kind of didn't do anything because the process took a lot of effort. I'll consider getting a microphone to record and edit quickly, but my apartment can be noisy if I'm not in the bathroom. I think finding shorter sections than 2100 words would suit me well, so I'll check around for some.

And this was my first time editing in Audacity, and I definitely think I can edit faster next time; it was a lot of work. Especially to rerecord sections I knew I flubbed after I thought I had them right.

Thanks again for the encouragement Sonia! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GrimsonB wrote: April 9th, 2018, 8:03 pm > "those ears hear" can be found at 6:52

And yeah, I accidentally cut the ending. Weird. I exported it correctly this time. That section starts at around 15:05.
thank you for giving me the exact time stamps :9: and this section is now entirely PL ok. Great job, as I already said. Good thing you still had the original recording and didn't have to re-record that last part.
I record on an ipod in my bathroom, then transfer the files, then edit
:shock: you recorded this in a bathroom ?!!! then I must say, your sound in the bathroom is really great. I think in my bathroom it would sound like in an aquarium :lol:
my apartment can be noisy if I'm not in the bathroom
have you ever tried in a more comfortable part of your apartment ? Even if you may think it's noisy, maybe it's the sort of noise Audacity can easily clean with its cleaning function. I would try it at least, let's say for a short poem of a minute or two. Check out if the noise can be cleaned with a short section, even if it can't you won't have lost much time. But if it can, at least you know that you can sit in a more comfortable place to record from now on.
I think finding shorter sections than 2100 words would suit me well, so I'll check around for some.
And this was my first time editing in Audacity, and I definitely think I can edit faster next time; it was a lot of work.

I agree with you, in the beginning, short sections are probably best. I myself did a lot of poetry in the beginning, and even today, I'm not much of a "long chapter" reader. While the mechanics with Audacity will get easier for you with time, I would still say that the editing process of each section usually takes twice the amount of time than the recording did. But I enjoy editing as much as recording, so I don't mind so much the whole process :9:

Good luck with your next sections...and I still hope to see you over in drama ;)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I record in a similar setup to the way you describe yours, using a handheld Sony digital recorder, upload to computer, then edit. (I do record near my computer since I now use the online text instead of printout.) After nearly 7 years I find that I record about 50% extra than will be in the final file - say a raw 30 minutes for a 20 minute final. I don't get stressed while reading - I start paragraphs over several times if I think I can improve them, I try new ways of doing phrases or sentences, different voices for different character, proper pronunciation of foreign words with my mono-lingual upbringing, etc. (Search for "The Dreaded Sentence With Twenty Volcano Names" if you want more on one of my early battles.)

I definitely spend more time editing that I spend recording. I figure the process is part of the fun, not just the completed product. I like the separation of record/edit activities - helps me be more critical/impartial in my editing, I think. But then I do spend much of my time over in the Dramatic Works forum where even after the reader files are done and sent in, I have much more to do to edit and assemble entire plays - which I really enjoy.

(By the way, I see that all this makes me sound a bit obsessive about Librivox. But fair warning, it can be addictive.)

Thanks, Todd
LiteratureLady

Post by LiteratureLady »

May I claim Section 2?

Thanks.
xoxo,
LiteratureLady <3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

LiteratureLady wrote: April 10th, 2018, 11:09 am May I claim Section 2?

Thanks.
I'm not sure you will find this to be exactly Literature, but hope you still enjoy.

Thanks, Todd
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

May I claim Sections 3, 9, and 17?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

DrPGould wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:51 pm Todd:

May I claim Sections 3, 9, and 17?

Many thanks,

Philip
Thank you.

Todd
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Ciao Todd,

Here is my chapter 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_10_dingle_128kb.mp3 16:47

I'm very sorry that it took me so long. Please feel free to correct my pronunciation, and please let me know if my English is an abomination and sheer torment for native speaker's ears.

Thank you very much

Claudia
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ClaudiaSterngucker wrote: April 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm Ciao Todd,

Here is my chapter 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_10_dingle_128kb.mp3 16:47

I'm very sorry that it took me so long. Please feel free to correct my pronunciation, and please let me know if my English is an abomination and sheer torment for native speaker's ears.

Thank you very much

Claudia
Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Claudia

sorry for letting you wait so long for feedback. You were probably eagerly awaiting it. :oops:
well I can assure you right away, nothing in this chapter was an abomination to my ears ! And I was prepared for a lot of pronunciation errors after reading your sentence ;) So I was altogether pleasantly surprised to hear a really agreeable, easy-to-listen-to chapter. You made it lively with the direct speeches, you didn't speak too fast to follow along, and most importantly: your pronunciation is really very good and accurate on the whole. The one or two tiny things that were a bit odd are absolutely not disturbing and do not change any textual meaning, so no need at all for me to mention anything. I even liked the slight rolled 'r', which makes it all sound more exotic and actually fits the setting of the book quite well. :thumbs:

No need to change anything at all, and you can rest assured that you are fully qualified to read any English text for LV and I'm sure you will do a good job of them all.

This chapter is PL ok. And I hope I will hear more from you (here or in another project) :D

Thank you

Sonia