Hello from a Kiwi in the UK

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
HayleyM

Post by HayleyM »

Hello everyone.

I'm from New Zealand but recently moved to the UK. Also born in South Africa - so the combination makes for a bit of an interesting accent :p Hoping that won't be a barrier to narration. Looking forward to contributing to the community and improving my skills in the process.
Cori

Post by Cori »

That sounds like a wonderful blend of accent potential to me, Hayley! I'm glad you've found us and look forward to hearing you around the place. The 1-min test is a great place to start, so that you know you have all your mic and technical settings in order, both for listeners and for our storage place, archive.org. They automagically generate heaps of different file types from the one kind that we upload, so those settings are super-important, to give people a wide range of listening options.

Also, we have literally no accent barriers here! We do ask that recordings are 'understandable' to native speakers -- but that basically means that the fact that I can more or less ask directions to a hotdog stand in Germany does not in any way qualify me to record untranslated Goethe. :cry: :oops: Entirely about language, not accent. :wink:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
HayleyM

Post by HayleyM »

Thanks Cori, that's good to hear :) I've had my 1 minute test marked as OK so looking forward to getting going with the reading!