COMPLETE [poetry] Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land by Leland -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: March 30th, 2018, 5:48 pm Since I was trying to read the character with a unique voice I purposely pronounced the word "vitals" as if it were "vittles." I listened to it multiple times and do not find myself saying "victuals" as you comment.
well actually, I meant "vittles", because the word spelled "victuals" is pronounced "vittles" that's why I wrote it that way ;) (at least that's the spelling I learnt in school)

but ok, your explanation for why you used the word is perfectly understandable. I merely mentioned it because I thought you had misread the word, and I wanted to make sure this was the one you wanted to use. I guess both explanations can be valid depending how one reads the text. All PL ok then.
My thought was not unlike yours, however I wondered if the writer himself participated in a con or two, not as a mark but as a a player in the con. Food for thought?
o-hooo !!! now that would put a different light on the guy :shock: I didn't even think about that, but you are right, there might be something in it.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: March 31st, 2018, 1:19 am
GregGiordano wrote: March 30th, 2018, 5:48 pm Since I was trying to read the character with a unique voice I purposely pronounced the word "vitals" as if it were "vittles." I listened to it multiple times and do not find myself saying "victuals" as you comment.
well actually, I meant "vittles", because the word spelled "victuals" is pronounced "vittles" that's why I wrote it that way ;) (at least that's the spelling I learnt in school)

but ok, your explanation for why you used the word is perfectly understandable. I merely mentioned it because I thought you had misread the word, and I wanted to make sure this was the one you wanted to use. I guess both explanations can be valid depending how one reads the text. All PL ok then.
My thought was not unlike yours, however I wondered if the writer himself participated in a con or two, not as a mark but as a a player in the con. Food for thought?
o-hooo !!! now that would put a different light on the guy :shock: I didn't even think about that, but you are right, there might be something in it.

Sonia
I appreciate your understanding! Honestly, I did not know that the proper pronunciation of "victuals" is "vittles." I always thought "vittles" was a shortened or slang word. I just learned something. Thank you.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Greg
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

I'll take section 58, "Est Modus in Rebus," to help you finish this project! Also, I'm from New York, so I'm intrigued that this is a "New York Narrative."
Happy Easter!
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
MonkofHunk

Post by MonkofHunk »

Kitty wrote: March 26th, 2018, 6:42 am
MonkofHunk wrote: March 20th, 2018, 10:30 amSection 19 - Rolling over - Duration 4:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_19_leland_128kb.mp3
Let me know what you think, hopefully its ok. Thanks guys
sorry for taking so long to reply, but the last days were a bit booked out already. :oops:

I think, this is a perfect reading, flawless and read with emotion. I extremely like the mysterious whisper in your voice. :9:
Unfortunately this also makes the overall sound quite low, you only have 83.8 dB, we need at least 86. The problem is, some parts are much louder, so they will clip if you amplify them all by 3 dB.

I tried using the Leveller, with “Degree of Leveling” Moderate and “Noise Threshold” -70 db and it amplified it to 86.5 dB. Still very low, but inside our limit. Could you try that and reupload please ?

No need to correct anything else, the text as such was flawless.

Thank you

Sonia

Everytime i try this quote business i mess it up but i hope it works this time. Sonia, thank you once again for your kind and encouraging words, it gives me alot of confidence with each new recording i do. Yes i knew i had abit of issue with volume, when i building up the tension i need to learn to back further away from the mic, will aim to do this for the next one.

Ok i couldnt find the "Leveller" option in Audacity, not something iv used before, therefore i managed to change the overall volume to 86.9dB by using MP3 gain. Hopefully this is good enough, but if not can u just direct me to where i need to go and i will change it again as you have instructed.

Anyway here is the adapted version at 86.9 -
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_19_leland_128kb.mp3

Also i had a question regarding my last project on this works, section 20 The Musquito - Do i sing this? As if it was a sailors ditty type tune? Any suggestions?

Thank you kindly, hope your well madam!!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MonkofHunk wrote:Yes i knew i had abit of issue with volume, when i building up the tension i need to learn to back further away from the mic, will aim to do this for the next one.
hm I am not sure if moving away gives the desired effect. It might sound strange if you change the distance of the mic during one recording session. But you can try.

I usually watch my Audacity wave lines move while I record and when I see that there is clipping or the waves change too much in height, then I re-do the sentence with a lower voice. With a bit of training you can actually convey whispering in a normal tone of voice, just as much as you can convey screaming without making the listeners' ears bleed. :lol:
Ok i couldnt find the "Leveller" option in Audacity, not something iv used before
actually I never use the Leveller myself, since I try to keep my voice level from the start. I only tried it with your recording now because it was the only possibility I could see that would prevent clipping.

You can find it under Effect, then you usually should have an alphabetical list of functions, so the Leveller is right above Noise Reduction.
therefore i managed to change the overall volume to 86.9dB by using MP3 gain. Hopefully this is good enough, but if not can u just direct me to where i need to go and i will change it again as you have instructed.
well, yes, the volume is inside the limit now, but there is clipping. Most of the time it's ok, the sound is not too bad, but in some places it is a bit "screeching" (I listen with earphones, so it is a bit hurting). But I think we could leave it like that. I'll mark it PL ok now.
Also i had a question regarding my last project on this works, section 20 The Musquito - Do i sing this? As if it was a sailors ditty type tune? Any suggestions?
well all the sailors' poems are supposed to be songs I think. That doesn't mean you have to sing them, in fact I think none of us so far has sung one of them. The problem with songs is that we need to make absolutely sure that the tune is in public domain as well. We are always very cautious with songs. So if you find the tune online, check if it's PD, just like you would with a text, and link it here.

Alternatively, you can invent your own tune (I actually do that sometimes, it's always fun). Then of course, you put it yourself in the public domain. If you feel inspired to a certain melody with this poem, why not ? But it is not required.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote: April 1st, 2018, 8:54 am I'll take section 58, "Est Modus in Rebus," to help you finish this project! Also, I'm from New York, so I'm intrigued that this is a "New York Narrative."
Happy Easter!
in Carolin's absence, I will sign you up, Linda. Thank you, and have fun with the poem. Give us a good New Yorker accent :mrgreen:

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

If it is still open I'll claim Section 41.

Thanks!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 10:24 am If it is still open I'll claim Section 41.
it looks like it is :) thanks Greg

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Kitty wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 10:08 am
Ealswythe wrote: April 1st, 2018, 8:54 am I'll take section 58, "Est Modus in Rebus," to help you finish this project! Also, I'm from New York, so I'm intrigued that this is a "New York Narrative."
Happy Easter!
in Carolin's absence, I will sign you up, Linda. Thank you, and have fun with the poem. Give us a good New Yorker accent :mrgreen:

Sonia
OK. So you want a New York accent? No problem! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 11:30 am OK. So you want a New York accent? No problem! :D
will I regret this ? :? :mrgreen:

Sonia
MonkofHunk

Post by MonkofHunk »

Kitty wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 10:04 am
MonkofHunk wrote:Yes i knew i had abit of issue with volume, when i building up the tension i need to learn to back further away from the mic, will aim to do this for the next one.
hm I am not sure if moving away gives the desired effect. It might sound strange if you change the distance of the mic during one recording session. But you can try.

I usually watch my Audacity wave lines move while I record and when I see that there is clipping or the waves change too much in height, then I re-do the sentence with a lower voice. With a bit of training you can actually convey whispering in a normal tone of voice, just as much as you can convey screaming without making the listeners' ears bleed. :lol:
Ok i couldnt find the "Leveller" option in Audacity, not something iv used before
actually I never use the Leveller myself, since I try to keep my voice level from the start. I only tried it with your recording now because it was the only possibility I could see that would prevent clipping.

You can find it under Effect, then you usually should have an alphabetical list of functions, so the Leveller is right above Noise Reduction.
therefore i managed to change the overall volume to 86.9dB by using MP3 gain. Hopefully this is good enough, but if not can u just direct me to where i need to go and i will change it again as you have instructed.
well, yes, the volume is inside the limit now, but there is clipping. Most of the time it's ok, the sound is not too bad, but in some places it is a bit "screeching" (I listen with earphones, so it is a bit hurting). But I think we could leave it like that. I'll mark it PL ok now.
well all the sailors' poems are supposed to be songs I think. That doesn't mean you have to sing them, in fact I think none of us so far has sung one of them. The problem with songs is that we need to make absolutely sure that the tune is in public domain as well. We are always very cautious with songs. So if you find the tune online, check if it's PD, just like you would with a text, and link it here.

Alternatively, you can invent your own tune (I actually do that sometimes, it's always fun). Then of course, you put it yourself in the public domain. If you feel inspired to a certain melody with this poem, why not ? But it is not required.

Sonia
Ok thank you Sonia once again. I will make sure the next recording is on point and employ your gracious advice. Hahaha i actually gave it a shot singing my own tune a few weeks ago but couldn't settle on whether i thought it was good enough or not, i,ll try over the next few days too see if whether song or spoken is the best route to take :D

I,ll head off for the drama section for next project woooooooooooo.

Thanks kindly
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MonkofHunk wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 12:27 pm I,ll head off for the drama section for next project woooooooooooo.
oh great, maybe I will hear you in one of the projects I'm DPLing :9: is it for the April Challenge ? your first venture into drama would count !

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have an orphan!
Carolin