COMPLETE: Reign of George VI, 1900-1925 - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

The Reign of George VI, 1900-1925: A Forecast Written in the Year 1763 by Samuel Madden (1686-1765), edited by Charles William Chadwick Oman (1860 - 1946) and others.

This project is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/reign-of-george-vi-a-forecast

Imagine a world in which there were no major revolutionary upheavals (the American, French and Russian revolutions did not occur), there was no Victorian Age, the Great War (World War I) went unfought. No Cold War, No United States, No Soviet Union, in short, no world as we have known it. Such is the vision presented in this counterfactual historical work.
Originally written by Samuel Madden in 1763, is a prospective look at events in Europe from 1900-1925 the reign of Madden's George VI. (The actual George VI, father of Elizabeth II, reigned from 1936-1952). Taking the social, political, economic trends of the eighteenth century and projecting their impact in the twentieth, this work is written in the style of a history of the first quarter of the twentieth century.

As editor Charles William Chadwick Oman notes in his preface to this 1899 reprint, "Of late years has it been common enough for authors to comment on the political and social tendencies of their own day, by drawing fancy pictures of the state of the world many generations hence, when these tendencies have been worked out to their full development (p. vii)." Chadwick was unaware of the identity of the author of the work, ironically leading him in his preface, to make some speculations about the author which were similarly flawed.The comparison between this fictional alternative view of history--what could have happened--what didn't--and what actually happened is occasionally amusing, sometimes frightening and other times eeriely familiar.
( Dr.PGould)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/reigngeorgeviaf00omangoog#page/n4/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Reign of George VI, 1900-1925: A Forecast Written in the Year 1763. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Reign of George VI, 1900-1925: A Forecast Written in the Year 1763, by Samuel Madden [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Reign of George VI, 1900-1925. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Reign of George VI, 1900-1925: A Forecast Written in the Year 1763, by Samuel Madden."

There should be ~5 seconds' silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename georgevi_##_madden_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. georgevi_01_madden_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by DrPGould on April 27th, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll be happy to MC.

edited: OK, you're all set! I'll add your authors to the LV database later when I have time, but no need to wait for that to start recording!
Laurie Anne
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Laurie Anne:

Thank you so much for MC-ing this! It is terrific to be working with you again. :9: (I looked earlier, and I think both the editor and the author are already in the database (but I could be wrong).

The MW is filled in, and I'll start reading. The first section will probably take me until this weekend to get ready (it's the only time the editor gets to say anything). But I think the project will move quickly after that.

Many thanks,

Philip
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The author was indeed in the database, you were right! I didn't see him the first time; I suppose my browser was laggy when it was populating the drop-down menu (10 years ago I could not have written that sentence). I did add the editor's name (hopefully he's in there only once...). Have fun!
Laurie Anne
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Phillip - do you need a DPL? You helped me out a while back I am happy to return the favour!

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

I'd be grateful for one. I'm just now back on line after three days. (I've developed a significant medical condition). It's going to slow me down for a bit--but I plan to finish this.

Many thanks,

Philip
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I hope you're better soon, Philip! No hurry on any of this, of course.

Thanks, Lynda, I've got you in the DB as DPL. And I've moved us to Going Solo.
Laurie Anne
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Laurie Anne. I'm just glad to be back.

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

DrPGould wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:24 am Lynda:

I'd be grateful for one. I'm just now back on line after three days. (I've developed a significant medical condition). It's going to slow me down for a bit--but I plan to finish this.

Many thanks,

Philip
Not a problem at all Phillip! I was just diagnosed with yet another medical condition on Tuesday (I already have a spinal injury and various issues that go with that) and in addition told not to do recordings for a week to let my voice heal so thus I am branching out to being a DPL now :) Take care and do not push yourself.

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

Hope we are both well, soon!

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Laurie Anne and Lynda:

We're launched, finally. Section 2 is uploaded and ready for PL. (Starting small and gathering momentum as we go!)

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

Section 1 is in the MW and Ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

I've even managed to finish Section 00. It's ready for PL. Now off to rest for a bit.

Many thanks,

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Phillip -

Section 0 - PL OK
Section 1 - PL OK
Section 2 - 2:11 – you said 1763 should be 1863

Very good reading - you seem to read right through with no mistakes as I can hear no edits! I wish I could do that!

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

I'm trying a new approach to reading some of these shorter <15 minutes sections. I stop and correct immediately. So then all I have to do is listen one more time through for pacing (long pauses) and excessive noise. It seems to be working out, but we'll see.

With respect to the error in section 2....I read it initially as written "1863" but I changed it to 1763 because that's the only way to make sense of the footnote. The last part of the footnote is "just before the publication of this pamphlet" and the publication date was 1763.

The Peace of Paris referred to is in actual history the treaty which ended the French and Indian War (so-called in the US) or the Seven Years' War (so-called throughout Europe). This treaty was completed in 1763.

I meant to tell you this when I posted the file, but didn't. Good catch! (Can I get a PL-OK?)

Many thanks,

Philip