COMPLETE - The Absentee by Maria Edgeworth - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Out of curiosity - are you saving these errata for submission to Gutenberg? Since you are so precise with them, you could help them clean up their text. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
beeber

Post by beeber »

TriciaG wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 7:32 am Out of curiosity - are you saving these errata for submission to Gutenberg?
Yes, good point. In the past I have usually not bothered, but I did once (on one particularly corrupt text), and the result was gratifying: within a couple of days someone at Gutenberg made the effort to clean up the whole text. So I will again (even though, on the whole, this is not a such a bad text*).

Bruce
(*Although, I must admit, the punctuation is pretty sloppy, and I haven't been keeping a record of that. A number of times, I've had to refer to the photo-text to figure out the gist of a puzzling passage, only to discover that crucial end-of-sentence punctuation had been omitted.)
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 9 is ready for PL, with the following textual corrections.

• At 12:16, the Gutenberg text reads, "the abbey ground was set"; it should be, "the abbey ground was let."
• At 16:15, the text reads, "he looked forward to the idea...." It should be, "he had looked forward...."
• At 31:27, "Mrs. Burke was silent" should be "Mr. Burke was silent."

And there are a couple of square-bracketed footnotes that I ignored.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Over half way!

Chapter 9 - PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 10 is ready for PL.

Aside from a few parenthetical footnotes that were omitted, there was only one correction necessary:
• At 11:42, the text reads, "Came, come, be smart!" Of course, it should be, "Come, come...."

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

A rather telling chapter! I think he's figuring out Grace is the one for him after all.

Chapter 10 - PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 11 is ready for PL, with just one little adjustment.

• At 4:21, the text reads, "Ah, no I that makes...." It should be "Ah, no! that makes...."

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Another great reading, Bruce!

Chapter 11 - PL - OK!

I have to admit that it took me a few moments to understand when you said "lace" it was "lease" - I'll have to listen to more Irish vernacular - I was confused why they would need the lace! :lol:
beeber

Post by beeber »

jenniferrd wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 5:32 am I have to admit that it took me a few moments to understand when you said "lace" it was "lease"
Yes, that one bothers me a bit. When I'm applying my own (inept) Irish brogue to words, I try to be careful not to insert it anywhere where there could be a confusion of meaning, but here, as you know, the author insists on "lase." This is problematic because "lease" isn't a common word in everyday conversation, so it can be puzzling. Really, I guess, it should be given a stretched-out vowel, almost a diphthong: layeees. Clipping the vowel short results in it sounding identical to "lace."
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 12 is ready for PL — an eventful chapter. And notice the clever double meaning in the very last line of the chapter.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 12 - PL OK! :clap:

Yes, definitely eventful!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 13 is ready for PL, with 3 corrections to the text.

• At 26:12, the text reads, "...especially now the prior creditor." It should be, "...especially now there's no prior creditor."

• At 33:48, "Grace, can you tell the particulars?" should be "Grace can tell you the particulars."

• At 34:57, "Don't touch upon Ireland the night" should be "Don't touch upon Ireland this night."

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 13 - PL - OK

Well, I think I'm off to buy new headphones: I kept hearing a strange clicking when I was listening, but when I would go back to mark the time, it wasn't there...and yes, it was my headphones making the noise!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Here's a long chapter for you to try out your new headphones: Chapter 14 is ready for PL.

Quite a few textual corrections:
• At 5:42, "If won't blow over now" should be "It won't blow over...."
• At 24:50, "But how could this be supposed on his part" should be "But how could this be supported...."
• At 27:13, "the ready money might be of same convenience" should be "...might be of some convenience."
• At 33:12, "I cannot abate a dolt" should be "I cannot abate a doit."
• At 38:25, "Well thought of, my dear boy I" should be "Well thought of, my dear boy!"
• At 44:40, "A l'envie l'une et l'autre" should be "A l'envie l'une de l'autre."
• At 53:18, "do your Anne?" should be "do you, Anne?"

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 14 - PL OK!

What a great chapter, I'm so happy they are going back to Ireland!