Joyce Grey-Carter

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Spiralj12JJJ

Post by Spiralj12JJJ »

Good afternoon. My name is Joyce Grey-Carter from London UK. Username Spiralj12JJJ. I am a Drama Teacher as well as an Actor working towards establishing myself as a VO Artist. I have been listening to Audiobooks from Librivox for a few years now since discovering one of my first audiobooks named 'Uncle Tom's Cabin which I loved, and enjoyed the reading of . I am working towards becoming a Voice Artist as I enjoy reading aloud and bringing the words on a page and the characters to life for the listener.

After listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin four or five times, it inspired and excited me into wanting to become a volunteer narrator for Librivox, but at the time, I did not have any professional recording equipment or software apart from my mobile phone. When I did recordings using recording apps on my phone, the sound was hissing making my recordings difficult to listen to. However, now, my husband and I have saved up to get me a Blue Yeti microphone, speakers as well as creating a soundproofed spare room. I have made several recordings to test out the equipment and I can gladly say, I am fully up and running to do a more professional sounding job. I have examples of my audio recordings on my #Starnow profile page if you would care to listen to them.

I use Audacity's free software to record my audio and edit them and I am also able to convert the recorded audios to MP3 or Wav files.

I look forward to working with the forum team as a Narrator and meeting the Librivox Team.

Thanks

Joyce
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Joyce!

Sounds like you've got a better setup now than 90% of our readers. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Joyce! I love my Yeti Blue mike, which sits in a cardboard box lined with styrefoam, on my desk to the left of my laptop -- no where near as ideal as your setup, but it gets a decent job done, I think. Way better than my first mike, which I am sorry to say I used for the first year here. The first audiobook I listened to on Librivox was The Mysterious Island, read by Mark Smith, and it got me hooked immediately. I'm actually listening to it again right now. I listened to Uncle Tom's Cabin shortly thereafter, and I've been on a trek ever since to record some of Harriet Beecher Stowe's other books, including her biography. One thing leads to another thing around here, with no end of adventures in sight. Just take the time to read up on the Wiki's and forums and you'll be up and running in no time, enjoying the LV playground.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Joyce! I love UK accents, so I hope you get your 1 minute test approved soon!

If you wanted to try your hand at some Dramatic Reading work, we have the Dramatic Works forum - the one I'm currently running is the Story of the Amulet (by Edith Nesbit) and I have several small parts available - just to get you started! After you've had your 1 min test marked OK, click the red link in my signature file and come have a look! :thumbs: