Hello from down under

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

Hello all,

My name is Adele but go by Esmina.
I am based in Sydney, Australia however am English so my accent is a bit all over the place sometimes.

I'm looking forward to joining in to breathe new life into books, and learn interesting new things while reading them.
I don't have a particular preference in my books, as long as they are interesting.
Saying that, I am an avid reader of Terry Pratchett.

Regarding being a listener or editor, are they any requirements before someone can take on those roles?

I have submitted my 1 minute test and am waiting for confirmation so I can get stuck in to my first recording, but would be interested in helping in diverse ways.

Thanks for reading!

Adele aka Esmina
The more humans I meet, the more I love my dogs.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you here, Esmina! I know that accent switcharoo -- I lived in Sydney for 10 months, and the lovely local lilt did seep in rather. (That was years ago, though, so now I'm back to plain old Home Counties via an Estuary. :wink: )

There are no formal requirements for proof-listening (PL), other than reading the instructions in both the wiki and the specific project you're helping with (sometimes Book Coordinators (BCs) will give further information for their PL in the first post of a thread.) Also, there's a great Quiz & Tips page that I'd highly recommend as a fun way to learn more about how it works and what to be listening out for.

Editing -- you'll need to be happy producing files using the LibriVox specification (so archive.org, where we store our files, can auto-magically generate heaps of other file formats from them.) There are lots of pages in the wiki about it, though it's almost exclusively intended for people doing their own editing. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#Volunteering is a good place to start.

Please do just ask if you have other questions! :D And have fun!!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome! There's a few of us Aussies on here, so I'm happy to see another addition to the contingent! (I'm in Melbourne.)

I'd suggest starting in "Short Works" (there's both poetry and prose) and have a look around to find something you like! I'm mostly in the Drama sub-forum but I'm here and there in the Readers Wanted forum as well. Hope to see you around!