[COMPLETE] King Lear by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 13th, 2018, 9:34 am Yes, please sign me up for 2_2. I had forgotten that Audacity would just tuck an edit in between what was already there without leaving space, so that makes it a little easier.
I was anxious to do some LibriVox today. It was originally going to be reading the final two chapters in one of my Dickens projects, but there's a strong wind outside my window today which I know my microphone will pick up. So I'll edit Lear instead.
super, thank you :9: Well have fun then.

Only two more chapters ? Wow. What's next on the list ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

My next Dickens project will be "Barnaby Rudge."

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 13th, 2018, 9:39 amMy next Dickens project will be "Barnaby Rudge."
not one of those few that I know :lol: Well, I will probably have a listen to that one once it's done.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

It's one of only two historical novels written by Dickens, the other being "A Tale of Two Cities," but the event it is centered around is not so well-known today. It's the anti-Catholic riots of 1780, which was the most destructive riot in London's history. The book centers around two fictional families--Catholic and Protestant--whose children want to marry (sort of a Romeo and Juliet type situation). The title character is a rather simple young man who accidentally gets caught up in the riots. I've always wondered why Dickens named the book after him since, while he is important, he's not exactly the main character.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sorry to have gotten so far off-topic again! lol

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 13th, 2018, 9:54 amSorry to have gotten so far off-topic again! lol
:lol: not a problem. I happens. Also, I was the one asking ;)

Ok, I let you get on with the editing then. Hopefully the storm abates soon so you can finish your Solo.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Yes, I will begin wrapping up my parts soon. Sorry for the wait, but I didn't want to inundate Sonia with more work when she has so much already. :oops: She has assured me I can go ahead with finishing, so I will do that. This will definitely be finished before Easter---and if we all make an effort to pitch in with editing, it could be done even sooner.

Speaking of editing, anyone who wants to edit scenes before my roles come in are welcome to do so. I have nothing against expediting the process if people have the time to do it. Just let everyone know which scene or scenes you want to do first, so that no one steps on any toes. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I made good on my word and started chipping away at Gloucester (and chipping away at my voice LOL---this is certainly going to be done in a few sittings).

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_gloucester_1_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_gloucester_1_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_gloucester_2_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_gloucester_2_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_gloucester_2_4.mp3

That gives us with a few scenes to edit. I can take one that no one else wants. :P
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:I made good on my word and started chipping away at Gloucester (and chipping away at my voice LOL---this is certainly going to be done in a few sittings).
well let me check this immediately, so Brad can finish off his scene ;)

Gloucester sounds like a tottering dotard. Did you take out your teeth for this, Tomas ? :mrgreen: Excellent. You sound indeed different than Edmund, which is good as I noticed you have a huge dialogue with yourself :shock: hmm...I just realized that you are your own father, isn't this pushing the incest a bit far ? :lol:

In the first scene he speaks quite nastily about his bastard son, I really started rooting for Edmund there and could well understand why he hates his father so much. :evil:

Wonderfully portrayed. All these scenes are PL ok. Great job.
That gives us with a few scenes to edit. I can take one that no one else wants. :P
yes indeed. All these scenes are ready to edit right now. So please, guys, who is offering to do what ?

The following are available, please tell me which you like to do:

Scene 1.1.
Scene 1.2.
Scene 2.1. - I sign myself up for this one
Scene 2.2. - already claimed by Brad

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scene 2.1. is ready for PL. If someone has the time to do that, please raise your hand :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_2_1.mp3
Recording time: 9:08 min.

Edmund and Gloucester are different enough in the dialogue to know who's who. We all sound great :thumbs:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Working on 2_2 right now. I found a place in which I, as Kent, said the wrong word. In the long speech in the middle of the scene, on the phrase "snow to their colder moods," I had said "cooler" instead of "colder." It doesn't really change the meaning much, but I decided to redo it anyway. The corrected version will be included in my final edit when it is done.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 14th, 2018, 8:48 am I found a place in which I, as Kent, said the wrong word. In the long speech in the middle of the scene, on the phrase "snow to their colder moods," I had said "cooler" instead of "colder."
yes I didn't go for strictly word perfect. Sorry I didn't think it would matter so much for you. :oops:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 14th, 2018, 9:21 am And, here it is.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_2_2.mp3
oh ! great. How long is the file ? I'll probably PL later on.

Thanks

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

It didn't really matter that much. But in an effort to make it as perfect as possible, it didn't really require much work to fix.

I was lucky to find the brief window in the storm that I needed. Yesterday's wind is still continuing today. I just learned that it broke the steeple off one of our oldest churches here in Halifax, Nova Scotia!

Brad