Hello Audio fans!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
meugenelarson

Post by meugenelarson »

Hello, My name is Michael Larson. What brings me to Librivox(aside from enjoying the content over several years) is a desire to get back into structured reading, initiate contact with more thoughtful/creative individuals, as well as use this opportunity to practice mindfulness while leaving a worthwhile sonic artifact. What started me listening to Librivox was a combination of my specific interests and the realization that my learning style often required the ability to hear and not only see the books; I feel like I could do both myself and a wider community a little bit of good by volunteering my time in this way.

I am super interested in any offers, suggestions, etc that any of the community members may have.

I have purchased a Samson USB microphone and have a fair amount of experience with Audacity having used it to upload my personal musical recordings to Soundcloud.

I believe the next step is the one minute audio test. Anyone care to get me spearheading that part of the process?

Thanks much!
-Michael Larson
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Michael. To get you started on your one minute test (and learn your way around our forum), click on the
Guide for Listeners & Volunteers (Librivox wiki) link in the menu bar above, then scroll down under the Volunteering heading, Recording, then click on 1 minute test. It will tell you want you want to know. Or, to make it easier for you this time, click on this link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Once you upload your test, someone will come along to listen and advise as necessary, and finally an admin will give it the OK, meaning your parameters are set right for the LV platform. Then you can safely start recording. While waiting, poke through the Readers Wanted forums to see what's available to read. Or, consider contributing a short story, poem, essay or article to one of our Collections. You'll find all the instructions in the First Post of every project.

Welcome to Librivox!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Samson make splendid mics, good choice there! I used one for several years, and I only changed to upgrade, rather than it breaking or anything. Have fun here!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
meugenelarson

Post by meugenelarson »

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I have already uploaded an mp3 sample via the uploader but of course will take your advice and take a look at my Audacity settings in light of your video links. Thanks much! I'll double check that I've done all that I should regarding the upload process as well.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Remember you do need to paste a link in the listeners wanted to your test the uploader will give you one. Otherwise no one knows you've posted it.

Anne