[COMPLETE]Child Christopher & Goldilind etc, - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair by William Morris (1834 - 1896).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/child-christopher-and-goldilind-the-fair-by-william-morris/
A prose romance set in the forested kingdom of Oakenrealm, where a squirrel can go about from end to end without touching the ground, in which Christopher wins the fair queen Goldilind, discovers his true identity and reclaims his birthright. In this tale of valour and romance, William Morris reimagined the medieval lay of Havelock the Dane. Child Christopher was originally published by Morris's Kelmscott Press and reprinted in the 1970s as the twelfth volume of the celebrated Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library. ( Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/m/morris/william/m87cc/index.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fantasy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair, by William Morris. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair by William Morris. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair, by William Morris. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording,.
  • Example filename childchristopher_##_morris_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. childchristopher_01_morris_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: William Morris
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC and Newgate Novelist DPL
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up- original publication 1895 so PD :D

Anne
All yours :clap:
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Here I am!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Here is Part 1 - Chapters 1-5. I am just dividing it up into files of about 30 minutes, without putting the chapter titles in the MW. The chapter lengths are very uneven and difficult to predict using the Adelaide text.

I am using a Zoom portable recorder that I brought with me. Obviously I am an addict as I don't travel anywhere without some kind of recording device! The sound is okay, but not brilliant - that's the room rather than the recorder, though.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/chi ... morris.mp3 - 26:15
Newgatenovelist

Ah, yes, the delights of using a transcribed text. Don't get me wrong, they're much better than not having any copy of the text online, but ufff. I avoid them if I can.

I'd listen to you recording in a wind tunnel, so I wouldn't worry about the sound quality. It's not too bad, and it's certainly better than some of the stuff I've uploaded.

I'm grateful for your addiction, because so far this book is really enjoyable.

I have one note at 8.01-8.13. These big blocks of online text are completely disorientating, so my best directions are: it's in chapter 2 at the end of a paragraph (sorry!). It's repetition:
...both carle and quean fell to noting him, and, for as little as he was, he began to be well-beloved. both carle and quean fell to noting him...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Corrected version of Part 1 uploaded. Don't worry about the page numbers - if you just give me the time, I can do a search for the text.

I am afraid Child Christopher will have to remain as he is for the moment. Long story, but I recorded all the files, then found that I had deleted most of them (a new version of Audacity and it was set so as I needed to keep the WAV files attached to the Audacity files - not knowing this I deleted the WAV files to save space on my wife's computer). So I'll need to wait until I can record the missing files again under the same conditions - which will be in a few weeks time.

Meanwhile, back to Phra...
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

The repetition is absolutely fine. The only reason I put 'see PL notes' up is because the bit rate is apparently variable when it should be constant and isn't 128, which it should be. I just checked the previous upload, and it had the same issue (I just didn't note it - I'm very sorry!). I'm guessing this is because you're on a different computer. Or is the new version of Audacity, by any chance? I've been wrestling with that recently, and it's driving me away from the mic and back to print books!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, I downloaded the new version of Audacity, which seems to have a lot of different options for saving MP3 files but 128kps is not among them. So I wonder what we a re supposed to choose if we are using that version?

But I am using an older version on my own laptop, so no problem to revert to 128kps.
Newgatenovelist wrote: January 7th, 2018, 10:57 am Hi Phil,

The repetition is absolutely fine. The only reason I put 'see PL notes' up is because the bit rate is apparently variable when it should be constant and isn't 128, which it should be. I just checked the previous upload, and it had the same issue (I just didn't note it - I'm very sorry!). I'm guessing this is because you're on a different computer. Or is the new version of Audacity, by any chance? I've been wrestling with that recently, and it's driving me away from the mic and back to print books!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Off we go again! Chapters 6-8 ready for PL. Erin, when you have listened, I'd like to know what you make of Simon the squire. I really don't understand why he has to take Christopher to the Tofts. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/childchristopher_02_morris.mp3 - 34:41
Newgatenovelist

I've put a note on part 1 (bit rate should be constant and 128), because otherwise I'm going to forget when it's time to catalogue.

Minor notes for part 2:

4.01-4.05. Omission in Lord Richard's speech:
But it is [no] jest wherein they say that they will gainsay him nought...

12.16-12.18. Christopher's dialogue:
...yea, and ague-shivers to boot.
Check pronunciation of ague (I'm not seeing a variant on the usual sites I use):
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ague

The file should be in mono rather than stereo.

If you want me to go through Audacity to find the stereo and bit rate settings, I'm more than willing. I have the latest Audacity on this pc, and it plays up sometimes. Between us we ought to be able to figure it out.

As for Simon, I'm not sure yet. He's a pretty inept assassin, and he might regret pinking Christopher and end up being a good guy. He might remain the bad minion, a bit like Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings. As for why he was supposed to take Christopher to the Tofts, I have a couple of guesses (though they're just guesses at this point):
-the Marshal didn't realise Christopher was in good standing with them and assumed they'd attack/injure/kill Christopher
-nobody goes near the Tofts and the Marshal's plan was for Simon to conceal the body more easily
-the Marshal thought the murder could be blamed on Jack of the Tofts, especially if he thought the family were disliked in the area

The other possibility is just that it's a classic fairy tale device, a bit like the huntsman taking Snow White into the woods and coming back with a deer's heart as 'proof' of her murder. But we'll see how likely these are as more of the plot is revealed...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 1 uploaded again - I've recreated the MP3 using the old version of Audacity, so that is in order.
Part 2 - corrections to be done later
Part 3 Ready for PL - https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/childchristopher_02_morris.mp3 - 25:35

I think I have fixed the mono/stereo issue. The problem is that the original recording is done on a ZOOM recorder with two microphones. Audacity has several ways to convert the two stereo tracks to mono - one is to mix them, another is to 'split stereo to mono' (on the drop down menu to the left of the tracks) which also seems to mix them. This is not ideal because you get an echoey sound that comes from the two tracks being slightly different. You can hear that on Part 3, but it is too late to fix now without rerecording.

The other way I can see is to select 'split stereo track' (rather than 'split stereo to mono' - I guess someone thought that the difference between those two is crystal clear :)), and then delete one of the tracks. That gives a better sound, which can hear on Part 2. The problem was that when that was exported to MP it created a stereo file with one channel silent. However, it seems that it is relatively easy to fix by going back to that drop down menu and selecting 'mono'.

So, 'spilt stereo track' then 'mono' produces a very different result to 'split stereo to mono'. You are probably bored stiff by now, but I thought I'd write this down, so I can come back to this post when I get confused!
Newgatenovelist

Part 1 is still coming up with a nonstandard bit rate. Dunno why, but the good news is that there is time to get it sorted. It isn't holding up this project from being catalogued.

Part 3 - one pretty minor correction and one technical thing. The technical thing: the volume is 83 dB. The other point: first sentence of ch. 10, 5.05-5.09: ...and so especially did David, the youngest son, to his board-fellow and troth-brother. [heard bearer]

By all means leave a trail for yourself. I'm not bored stiff, far from it. With any luck, I'll learn something! I think you've done better than I would have done troubleshooting the stereo-mono options. I only started recording because I like books, not because I knew (or know) the first thing about how to record! I've already learned a lot from PLing your projects, so it's good for me, too.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Newgatenovelist post_id=1447576 time=1520784833 user_id=77681]
Part 1 is still coming up with a nonstandard bit rate. Dunno why, but the good news is that there is time to get it sorted. It isn't holding up this project from being catalogued.
I've solved that one - everything anout the uploader is case sensitive and the author was written Morris not morris . I've corrected it in the uploader so hopefully the link will be right now.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Ah, you're very clever. That seems to have cured the bit rate problem. Go Anne!