[COMPLETE]A Short History of Wales by Sir Owen Morgan Edwards - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

A Short History of Wales by Owen M. Edwards (1858 - 1920).
This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/a-short-history-of-wales-by-owen-m-edwards/
A Short History of Wales is a book published in 1906 by Owen Edwards. It aimed to provide an introduction to Welsh history, to those who may not have previously dealt with the subject. ( Anonymous)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3260
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
  3. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  4. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  5. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  6. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  7. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Short History of Wales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Short History of Wales, by Owen M. Edwards. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Short History of Wales, by Owen M. Edwards. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  8. Example filename historyofwales_##_edwards_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofwales_01_edwards_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Audio setup:
Mic: Sennheiser e835 dynamic microphone
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Operating System: Windows 10
Software: Reaper v5.4 (Recording), Audacity 2.1.2 (Exporting)
You can find my reader page by going here.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That's a perfectly cute little beginner's solo!

Just to clarify: What are your plans with the chapters? I see you wanted 25 sections, but there are 25 chapters, then we have a "summary" of a few pages, afterwards geneological tables (which would be a pain to read, true) and then an appendix.

So, you're suggesting only to read the "proper" chapters?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Phil,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get you set up and be back with a few instructions.

To follow up in Ava's post, I'll set you up with 25 sections for now. You can read the introduction with the first chapter (into a single section) if you want, since the introduction is so short. Or we can make that a separate section. It's up to you whether or not you read the summary and the tables at the end.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If it's alright with you, I'd like to DPL (so I can learn a bit of history).

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

Thank you for the help, Mary! I'll get started right away on getting everything set up and ready to go. I'm glad I found this book on Gutenberg for the exact reasons you said earlier. I'll be happy to also learn some additional history. As extra motivation, I'm also reading/recording this for my young nieces, who told me that they have an interest in history.

Availle,
My plan is to only read the proper chapters, including the introduction which I'll include with the first chapter. The Summary and Tables I've decided to not include because, as you mentioned, they will be a bit of a pain to read. I can't remember if there are any references in the text to the Summary or Tables sections, but if they are I can put in a disclaimer that they may be downloaded from Gutenberg during the narration if that works. I thought that if anyone cared enough to look at the figures and tables, they'll grab the supplemental information. A majority of the footnotes also pertain to the Summary and Tables (I believe only the first 3 footnotes are found in the actual Chapters), and I'll tackle those footnotes as I come to them in the text.

Thanks for the kind words and I look forward to taking on this project over the coming months! :thumbs:

Edit: I believe I have everything set up for the Magic Window. I'm so excited to start up on this project!
Audio setup:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Phil. Your MW looks good.

No problem not reading the summary and tables.
philkasper wrote: I can't remember if there are any references in the text to the Summary or Tables sections, but if they are I can put in a disclaimer that they may be downloaded from Gutenberg during the narration if that works.
No, actually that doesn't work. You should only read what is written by the original author, no verbal disclaimers. You can add something in writing to the book summary (which will appear in the catalog), or you can leave out the reference as you read (sort of like not reading footnotes).

MaryAnn
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 13th, 2018, 12:33 pm No, actually that doesn't work. You should only read what is written by the original author, no verbal disclaimers. You can add something in writing to the book summary (which will appear in the catalog), or you can leave out the reference as you read (sort of like not reading footnotes).
Good to know! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be sure to remember this for future projects!
Audio setup:
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

Audio setup:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Section 1 is PL OK.
MaryAnn
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

Audio setup:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Phil,
Section 2 is pl ok.
MaryAnn
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Looking forward to hearing this one!
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Susan. So am I!
MaryAnn
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm Thanks Susan. So am I!
MaryAnn
:-)
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
philkasper

Post by philkasper »

Just checking in. I haven't had a chance to record any sections the past couple of weeks, but I haven't forgotten about this project!

I expect to have a more fruitful update posted here in the coming week.

Cheers :thumbs:
Audio setup: