[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 5:41 amI used the link on the front page for Volume 1, but I wasn't able to turn pages or generally move about.
:shock: and you tell me this only now ! For me the link works.

Try clicking on the magnifying glass at the right of the book, that should zoom you in and you can navigate easier through the book.

But even right at the start you can turn the pages if you put your cursor on the right-side page and click, it will open the page forward, if you click on the left-side page, it will page through the book backward.

Have you tried that ? If so, it's strange that it didn't work :hmm:

How about Volume 2 ? Does it work there ? Because it would be handy if you could read from the same source than the rest of us.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks. Yeah, I did all that repeatedly--never had happened to me before. I exited and re-entered too. Probably just a temporary computer glitch. I'll see what I get this evening. But nice to know now that I have the alternative of plain text. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 6:19 am Thanks. Yeah, I did all that repeatedly--never had happened to me before. I exited and re-entered too. Probably just a temporary computer glitch.
oh ok, but usually it works. I'm relieved. 8-) Then I misunderstood you.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the two final sections have been orphaned and picked up by Jim. We're close to archiving :9:

Thank you Jim !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jim, you're so fast :9: thank you for the quick turn-around. I will give these a priority tomorrow morning. (now: bed)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jim, thank you for these two final sections and I'm happy to announce that both are PL ok. :thumbs:

This means, the project can get archived :9: I'm not sure if I can get to it this evening, as I'm about to leave for a short holiday, but I will do it as soon as I'm back.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Now after exactly 4 months, the first volume of the World Story series is completed. :clap:

Thank you all for your wonderful enthusiasm and great readings. :9:

This project had 140 sections, which were read by no less that 27 LV volunteers. Some of you recorded over 10 sections, some others less and a few only recorded one single one, but I'm grateful to each and every one of you, because every single section counts. :D I couldn’t have done it without you.

Let me name you all in alphabetical order:

adonis / adr6090 / andreearux / Availle / BettyB / bluechien / brianna / catharmaiden / ColleenMC / emmacharliebrowning / engineerSTL / Kitty / Lmnei / mightyfelix / MonaJaheen / moniaqua / neecheelok70 / NemoR / Nicky504 / NinjaOfNix / Nuria / realisticspeakers / SaraHale / SonOfTheExiles / ToddHW / WiltedScribe / wubwave

I was delighted that 4 new readers had chosen this particular project to try their hand at a very first recording.
Here's a warm welcome to: andreearux, MonaJaheen, NinjaOfNix and wubwave. I hope we’ll hear plenty more of you. :thumbs:

For those who like statistics, let me enumerate the three big milestones that were reached in this project:

1) Tony (adonis) jumped right in with his enthusiasm and handed in the very first PL ok section with The soul of the great bell.
2) Tomas (WiltedScribe) reached the 50% mark with The King's Messenger.
3) Nicky (Nicky504) has the honour of the 100th PL ok section with The great Buddha of Kamakura.

And now to finish my Oscar-speech, before I bore you death :mrgreen: .

Some special mentions:

> a big thanks to my fantastic friends from the drama group, for giving life to the two short mini dramas: The sorrows of Han and Ribs and Skin: Eva, Nemo, Sarah, Todd, Tomas (and myself :lol: )

> thank you Eva, for your wonderful musical idea in The emperor and the musician. You made this section really special :9:

> thank you Availle for your knowledge and unquenchable interest in all things South-East Asian. You brought an Asiatic feel to your sections :D

> thank you Chris for lending your genuine Australian charm to the 2 sections about the settlement and gold rush of Australia :thumbs:

> and a special thanks to Miguel (basquetteur) who is lending his artistic talents and ideas to developping a CD-cover concept for the entire series. You will all see the outcome of our fruitful PM discussions later on when the project is uploaded. 8-)

> and last but not least: A big thank you to the ever present Jim (neecheelok70), who not only has recorded the most sections for this project (29 in all), but also the longest section running over 42 minutes, who was my Deputy PL for checking all my own recorded sections and who basically offered to read each and every orphaned section in the end to bring this project to a close. Thank you, Jim, I really appreciate. :9:

I hope to see you all in the following parts of the series. (ok, I'm done now :mrgreen: )

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

You are welcome. It is my pleasure to work with this fascinating material and, of course, with diligent and generous you. Jim :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, I stayed up till after 1 a.m. yesterday evening and I managed to archive our first part of the series :9:

This project is now complete!
All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this https://librivox.org/the-worlds-story-volume-i-china-japan-and-the-islands-of-the-pacific-by-eva-march-tappan/

Great job everyone :clap: An excellent start in the series. More to come...

Thank you

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I know you won't see this until Sunday, Sonia, but I'll write now before I forget: maybe you can remove the author, source and language columns from the catalog page, as they're redundant and take up space? :hmm: I think they're only needed for multilingual works, works that use multiple texts, works with searchable authors, etc. Since none of that applies, it might look nicer if the pertinent info is given more space to breathe.
Tomas Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I went in and fixed it.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thank you, Tomas, for noticing, and Availle, for correcting this. :) I need to remember this for next time. :oops:

Sonia