COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 6th, 2018, 4:59 pm And here's the missing puzzle piece. So glad he gets slapped in the end. :-)
:lol: this final astonished/whimsical "Mother !" is simply priceless ! He's probably not used to such rough treatment from the likes of Mrs Gaylustre. :mrgreen: Although during the dialogue with her, he kinda defrosted a little bit. Well done throughout the act and nothing missing this time !!! PL ok for Sir Colin.

Note for Todd: the volume needs a bit of amplification again.

Thank you so much for the excellent performance, Chuck. Now you can lay back and wait for the assembling :)

Todd: Act 4 is also ready to edit !!!

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:All edits made as suggested.
excellently done. Great to see that for once the voice credits done by the narrator are paying off :9:

At your quote "Our mag..." I really had to laugh out loud. The effect by having Kitty cut off Sir Julian so bruskly is really excellent in showing how little the poor man has to say in this relation :mrgreen: (but if you play your cards well, your lot will improve after Kitty is contrite and admonished over the RajPutana incident :oops: )

Act 1 PL ok. Will hopefully get around to PL Act 2 this afternoon. So looking forward to that.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sir Julian winds up breaking his flute over Kitty’s canal machinations, but I think if she were to buy him a nice tenor saxophone ...

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I thought Act 1 was fun. Act 2 is even better! I'm completely clueless, Kitty is fraught and panicky, young lovers are tongue-tied and star-struck, Gayluster is scheming, and then Joe Lebanon shows up. What a nightmare!
I completely agree and nobody could blame me for being panicky. As the dowager would say: I have a serious motive for being panicky :lol:

Act 2 is simply wonderful :9: TJ as the dowager is so brilliantly cast ! And Sir Julian is soooo desperate when she heaps motive over motive on top of him. I love the way you say “Another” (=family matter) for the third time or so LOL The dialogue between you two is really entertaining at the beginning.

Oh and I love the merged "Awwww" when we gather around the baby LOL Then comes a lighter moment with Imogen first dealing with a super awkward Colin and then with Valentine. Leanne and Kurt have quite a good chemistry here.

And then: WHAM enter Gaylustre and Lebanon to ruin Kitty's day - but not the play ! quite the contrary - seriously: finding myself in the middle of these siblings from hell made me cringe. I quite forgot how slimy Lebanon was and how snake-like Gaylustre. :help: But it's a brilliant ending to the act and prepares for more doom in Act 3. Looking forward to this.

The act is flawless in my opinion. :thumbs: Excellent cutting, Todd. I think I may only suggest one tiny thing here (sorry, can't help it :oops: ) :

> at 23:08 and 23:11: “The question, of course, is whether Imogen—h’m!” – “Whether Imogen can return the affection” – “Which Sir Colin honours her by entertaining” – here Lord and Lady Twombley are finishing each other’s sentence, it would sound better if the pause in-between was shorter
I don't know how to break this to ye'all, but I have to be out of town for a long weekend and I won't get Acts 3 and 4 done first. So just try to be patient - go record something more until I return.
well, we will school ourselves in patience and quietly wait for you return. It will only enhance our expectation and enjoyment of the finale. :9:

You have fun on your weekend and come back safely ! I'll keep an eye on the projects !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, Act 2 was fun. I made the change you suggested. I had been thinking of an awkward situation with embarrassing silences - ala Colin with Imogen - but your thought of the two elder Twombleys for once with but a single thought finishing each others sentence is a great idea.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 7th, 2018, 4:56 pmYes, Act 2 was fun. I made the change you suggested. I had been thinking of an awkward situation with embarrassing silences - ala Colin with Imogen - but your thought of the two elder Twombleys for once with but a single thought finishing each others sentence is a great idea.
oh I see what you mean...yes, considering this, it would have worked quite well too, but while listening to it, I didn't get that impression.

I think it sounds great now. Let the Twombleys for once chime in harmony, pa :mrgreen:

Act 2 is PL ok

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have assembled Act 3. Not ready for PL yet, but soon.

You know, I actually started to feel sorry for Joseph Lebanon!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 16th, 2018, 8:33 pmYou know, I actually started to feel sorry for Joseph Lebanon!
oh yes, I know what you mean, he sounds so out-of-depth sometimes, and the nobs all gang up on him to show him how unwanted he is. But then again, nobody forced him to join the party. He could have stayed the leader of the pack in his London-based money-lending organization and all would have been happy.

Can one really feel sorry for a shark who gets out of water to come and eat you, and then realizes he is suffocating ? :hmm:

Kitty T. (pretending hard to be out of pity, even though she still has a heart)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Admit it!

Joe Lebanon is the villain you love to hate! :lol:
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Admit it!
Joe Lebanon is the villain you love to hate! :lol:
:lol: all right, guilty :mrgreen: especially when we have to watch you have breakfast.

But don't let it get to your head.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And Act 4 is assembled. Now I will groom them - adjust spacing and volumes - and we'll be done!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay - Acts 3 and 4 are ready for final PL. You all sound so great together!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Woah ! you gave me some work to do today. But I wasn't bored for one single second of the entire recording. The many mergings sound great, although some are a little bit overdone. I don't think in reality so many people would all say "That man" in a row, even if it was Joe Lebanon. :lol: Maybe a bit of a merging there would have worked fine as well. But it was like that in the script, so we probably can go with it. It's a comedy after all, so overdoing is part of the deal.

Each one of us was excellent in their persona. :clap: This may easily have been the best Pinero so far (although I seem to be saying that of every Pinero :lol: ) Well, I am just plainly excited.

Act 3 PL ok straight away.

In Act 4 there is one stage direction missing a name:

> at 20:55: Quietly to Lady Twombley - you forgot Imogen, but maybe she should be mentioned.

The rest perfect. We really did it :thumbs:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, some of the repeated reaction lines are comical, but I think very intentional. I can picture the various characters across the stage noticing and responding one after the other, with laughter from the audience to each one.

I made the Act 4 correction. Uploading now. And let me say again, Kitty, how much I appreciate your great ears on this, and how much I appreciate everybody's great voices!

Thanks, Todd

(By the way, I have just posted a Pinero one-act in the current collection. And I'll be offering more full length Pineros shortly.)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 6:02 amYes, some of the repeated reaction lines are comical, but I think very intentional. I can picture the various characters across the stage noticing and responding one after the other, with laughter from the audience to each one.
yes, you're right, putting it that way, it does give a great on-stage tableau. Maybe it only sounded a bit overdone to me because it was not visual
I made the Act 4 correction. Uploading now.
and PL ok. :clap: you found an excellent sample to patch it up with :thumbs:

The Cabinet Minister is now officially retiring to his country house, planning his vegetable plot. :mrgreen:
(By the way, I have just posted a Pinero one-act in the current collection. And I'll be offering more full length Pineros shortly.)
right, I almost forgot about the one-acters. Thanks for reminding me.

Sonia