[COMPLETE] World's Story 2: India, Persia, Mesopotamia, Palestine - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story Volume II: India, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine by Eva March Tappan (1854 - 1930).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-worlds-story-volume-ii-india-persia-mesopotamia-and-palestine-by-eva-march-tappan/

This is the second volume of the 15-volume series of <i>The World’s Story: a history of the World in story, song and art</i>, edited by Eva March Tappan. Each book is a compilation of selections from prose literature, poetry and pictures and offers a comprehensive presentation of the world's history, art and culture, from the early times till the beginning of the 20th century. Topics in Part II include India, Siam, Afghanistan, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine. ( Sonia)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto02tapp
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • For long sections, use the full Librivox disclaimer / For short sections, use the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer. I will note down the sections which need the full disclaimer in the MW.
    • Full disclaimer: “Section [number] of India, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Say:
      “The World’s Story, Volume 2: India, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section [number]. [Title] by [author]” (as stated in the MW)
    • Short disclaimer: "Section [number] of India, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Title] by [author] (as stated in the MW)

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number] This recording is in the public domain.
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The World’s Story, Volume 2: India, Persia, Mesopotamia and Palestine, edited by Eva March Tappan."
      There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      worldstory_volume02_###_tappan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. worldstory_volume02_001_tappan_128kb.mp3 )

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just so we don't forget: I'd like to read 5 and 23. Thanks! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: March 5th, 2018, 6:34 am Just so we don't forget: I'd like to read 5 and 23. Thanks! :D
LOL I just saw this (I was busy filling in the MW) No I didn't forget :mrgreen: you got them !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, the long awaited 8-) second volume of our World's Story is launched.

We are leaving the far East and travelling towards India and the Near East. So if you are interested in stories about Buddha, the Persian Wars of Cyrus and Alexander the Great or the Crusades to the Holy Land, and many more, this is the book for you. :9:

Special notes for this project, similar to the first volume:

1) There is one dramatic play (Section 25) for which I would need 9 volunteer actors. The play is GENDER NEUTRAL, but for those of you who are interested, I noted the gender of each role in the MW.

2) Again I would like to have the footnotes included. Just put them after the sentence of the footnote marker, wherever you think it fits well. Say: “Footnote - [read footnote] - End of Footnote”.

3) Also, like last time, the explanations to the illustrations will be included. Please check MW for details, on how to read the title. (include the line "photograph/painting, page xx")

4) I have noted down in the MW where to read the long LV disclaimer. All sections under 3 pages long can use the short disclaimer. Check the first post on how to read the intros.

All right, now the project is open for new readers :) Have fun !

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

One need's to be fast here...

I'd like to get 6, 7 and 8 :), all about Buddha

Oh, and Sakoontala in the drama, please :)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Kitty:

What a terrific project! May I claim Sections 13, 19, 24 and the role of Matali in 25?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh my goodness, so many fun things! I think there are about 30 of them that I'd like to read, but I'll content myself, for now at least, with 88, 103, and 107, please.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh :9: seems the second part has a successful start as well. Thank you all for your claims, guys !!!
moniaqua wrote:One need's to be fast here...
I'd like to get 6, 7 and 8 :), all about Buddha
Oh, and Sakoontala in the drama, please :)
yay, you're our first actress for the play, Monika ! Thank you, and I sign you up for all your desired sections.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:What a terrific project! May I claim Sections 13, 19, 24 and the role of Matali in 25?
Philip ! glad you found the project. Indeed you seem to have missed out on the first part of the series. But the good news is there will be over a dozen parts still following :9:

Thank you for your claims and especially for playing a role in our mini-drama. :) I'll sign you up

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote:Oh my goodness, so many fun things! I think there are about 30 of them that I'd like to read, but I'll content myself, for now at least, with 88, 103, and 107, please.
:shock: 30 sections !!! Well, there are plenty to go around still, but you're right not to overburden yourself in the beginning. I'll sign you up for the three sections. Thanks !

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:19 am
mightyfelix wrote:Oh my goodness, so many fun things! I think there are about 30 of them that I'd like to read, but I'll content myself, for now at least, with 88, 103, and 107, please.
:shock: 30 sections !!! Well, there are plenty to go around still, but you're right not to overburden yourself in the beginning. I'll sign you up for the three sections. Thanks !

Sonia
:lol: Not that I actually counted, you understand! I just meant that there is a lot here that looks fascinating, and it's hard to choose! No wonder you decided to PL. :D
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I sign up for 40 through 55? Jim
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

A new project! :clap: And about my favourite region of the world, too. I would like to claim sections 93 and 96 please :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:22 am I just meant that there is a lot here that looks fascinating, and it's hard to choose! No wonder you decided to PL. :D
oh I definitely plan on PLing every book in this series. I find these short sections on so many diverse topics so interesting. And it seems I am not to only one :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:29 am May I sign up for 40 through 55? Jim
Jim you rock ! Thank you ! I sign you up.

Sonia