COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 27th, 2018, 4:54 am When I do a faux-Scottish accent, I sound like Mel Gibson trying to sound Scottish in Braveheart: Ay doh wanna dah-ey, I wanna lif. Ay wohnt ma frrrrreedum! Then I stick some "wees" and "lasses/lads" in there and I'm set. :lol:
:lol: that would be my modus operandi as well :mrgreen:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Here's the corrected Lady MacPhail Act 2, only the first line changed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_ladymacphail_2.mp3
excellent now and PL ok.
In Act 3, I noticed Lady MacPhail is extremely dramatic in her speeches LOL this coupled with the very dry replies by Sir Colin will provide some hilarious moments.

a few missing lines here though:

> at about 0:05: missed line: [Rapturously, with her hand upraised.] "Now let the worn banner of the Macphail be run up on the crumbling tower of Castle Ballocheevin!"

> at about 2:05: missed "All" line: [With various expressions of disgust.] "Ugh! that man!"

> at 2:13: [Outside.] "Take me to Colin!" - twice repeated, is there one version you prefer or should Todd choose ?

Act 4 is PL ok. And I love the final stern "Colin", which says it all. It nicely sums up the hold Lady MacPhail has over her boy :lol:

Thanks so much Beth. I loved all the Scottish names, accurate or not, they sound great in any case :thumbs:

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The stage direction for "take me to Colin" is given as "outside" so the first version is slightly more distant/muffled sounding, the second is my usual.

Drat, I know I recorded the line about the banner and tower - I must have accidentally deleted it in editing!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: February 27th, 2018, 1:30 pm Drat, I know I recorded the line about the banner and tower - I must have accidentally deleted it in editing!
no, you did record it later, she says it twice. You forgot to say it in the beginning. I thought you may want to say it twice slightly different though, otherwise we could have done a copy/paste job

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here's the corrected Act 3. Yes, I may as well say it differently, since I had to edit the file anyway for the other missed line. I've also increased the contrast a bit between the "outside" and "inside" versions of "Take me to Colin!" I suppose there will need to be a stage direction anyway, but I always think it helps to carry as much expression as possible into the actual line.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_ladymacphail_3.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: February 27th, 2018, 5:05 pm OK, here's the corrected Act 3. Yes, I may as well say it differently, since I had to edit the file anyway for the other missed line.
she is so exuberant and dramatic in those two sentences :lol: excellent
I've also increased the contrast a bit between the "outside" and "inside" versions of "Take me to Colin!" I suppose there will need to be a stage direction anyway, but I always think it helps to carry as much expression as possible into the actual line.
I totally agree with you there :9:

I actually love the first version, the "outside" effect is really well done. Did you do that by turning your head away from the mic ? I am quite sure Todd will use that version in the final cut. It sounds really great. Oh, and very bossy :lol: she is a woman used to get her ways.

PL ok. Thanks so much for this quick turn-around.

Now all we need is your wayward son...who is probably still on Ben Muchty watching the sunset. :lol:

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, I sat back away from the mic and put my hand in front of the mic like a pop filter! That allowed me to raise my voice giving that "yelling" quality without actually increasing the final volume.

I look forward to hearing the final assembled play - one of the perks of being cast late! ;)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Elizabby wrote: February 28th, 2018, 1:03 am Yes, I sat back away from the mic and put my hand in front of the mic like a pop filter! That allowed me to raise my voice giving that "yelling" quality without actually increasing the final volume.
That is what I do for Outside Voice as well.

I have already cut you into Act 1 where everybody but your wayward son - you need to look harder to find him - enjoyed having you join the party and talk Scottish at them.

Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are stage directions for Act 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_stagedirections_4.mp3

I went through them one more tie and made a few small corrections and found a missed line that I missed one two previous passes. I hope I got them all this time. :roll:

I'll have the corrected Act 3 shortly.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: February 28th, 2018, 10:13 am Here are stage directions for Act 4:
you already finished Act 4 :9: and luckily this time it was less long, compared to some of the other acts. Excellently narrated yet again. You manage to convey the appropriate anger in all the shaking and slapping that goes on :lol:
I went through them one more tie and made a few small corrections and found a missed line that I missed one two previous passes. I hope I got them all this time. :roll:
I'm sorry, but I still found a few missing lines :( they're less and less which each act though :wink:

> at 1:38: "LADY EUPHEMIA, carrying a sash" - for some reason you read "dark sash" :hmm: I'm inclined to say this is an optional edit though, as it doesn't really matter what colour the sash is

> at 2:15: "The Munkittrick [Giving her his arm.]" - forgot "The Munkittrick"

> at 2:46: "Mr. Joseph Lebanon [Taking the remnants.]" - forgot "Mr Joseph Lebanon"

> at 3:32: "Mrs Gaylustre [Holding out her hand to him.]" - forgot "Mrs Gaylustre"

> at about 5:25: missing line: [They go out as the DOWAGER enters.]

> at about 5:41: missing line: [The music of the Strathspey is heard. IMOGEN enters with LADY EUPHEMIA.]

> at about 8:14: missing line: [Breaking down.]

> at 9:16: please also say the end disclaimer: "End of Act 4. End of The Cabinet Minister, by Arthur Wing Pinero."

Thank you. Almost there !

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, my! Just looking at those -- I'm puzzled because I know I added some of those missing lines, and edited out the dark sash. I hope I didn't upload the unedited file . . . got confusing with several files open at once, but I will check everything out. So sorry this has been such a mess for you :oops: :oops:
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: February 28th, 2018, 10:55 pmOh, my! Just looking at those -- I'm puzzled because I know I added some of those missing lines, and edited out the dark sash. I hope I didn't upload the unedited file . . . got confusing with several files open at once, but I will check everything out.
oh ok...sorry you got confused. :( I'll wait patiently for the correct file then. :) I'll probably re-listen to it all once again, just to make sure. Luckily it's only 10 minutes and not 20 :lol:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, I'm losing only half of my mind.

Every one of the missing lines you picked out, i actually had already recorded, and thought I had edited in. Either I didn't do that, or I did but didn't upload the new file. Either is perfectly plausible.

Nonetheless, I have uploaded the corrected file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_stagedirections_3.mp3

Below are your PL notes with the NEW time stamps, so it should be easier for you to spot check those places.

I will have Act 4 down up very shortly.

=====

at 2:23: Imogen [Throwing her arms round LADY EUPHEMIA’S neck.] – please insert “Imogen”

> at about 3:34: Lady Twombley [In a sepulchral voice.] – missed line. I cannot remember if my voice was “sepulchral” enough here to do without the stage directions LOL

> at 3:48: [She sits staring at the fire as SIR JULIAN enters, playing the flute.] – I heard a very soft “again” after this I thought that was a witty comment to make me grin (it worked) But then you indeed repeat the line, so could you maybe cut out one of the versions ?

> at 6.36: Mrs Gaylustre [Smiling sweetly at DRUMDURRIS.] – please insert “Mrs Gaylustre”

> at about 7:04: [SIR JULIAN and LADY EUPHEMIA re-enter.] – missed line

> at 8.40: All [With various expressions of disgust.] – please insert “All”

> at 10:01: Mr Joseph Lebanon [Replacing the flowers in his coat.] – please insert “Mr Joseph Lebanon”

> at 16:05: Lady Twombley [Following him round the table.] – please insert "Lady Towmbley"

> at 16:12: Mr Joseph Lebanon [Reading the paper.] – please insert "Mr Joseph Lebanon"

> at 16:16: Mr Joseph Lebanon [Returning the paper.] - please insert "Mr Joseph Lebanon"
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Revised Act 4 has been uploaded:

Again, I found some of the corrections on a file I thought I had uploaded, but redid them all to flow more smoothly. I couple of the lines I couldn't find: "They go out as the Dowager enter" and "The music of the Strathsprey is heard..." But, I put them where your notes indicated.

Since you said you were going to listen to the file again, I didn't put in the new time stamps.

With my apologies.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Larry, I will listen to them now. The new time stamps will help enormously !

Sonia