[COMPLETE] The Ghost Girl by Henry Kitchell Webster - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

The Ghost Girl by Henry Kitchell Webster (1875 - 1932).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-ghost-girl-by-henry-kitchell-webster/
Henry Kitchell Webster is an American author best know for his detective novels. The Ghost Girl opens with a murder mystery. A young woman's frozen, yet perfectly preserved, body is found in the river. As the family discusses this news of the day, good friend Jeffrey returns from a sabbatical, suddenly undertaken after finishing a commission to paint the portrait of a dead girl. The mystery deepens as the chapters progress and Jeffrey and Drew investigate as the haunting coincidences begin to pile up. ( Kate Follis)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/ghostgirl00webs
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Ghost Girl. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Ghost Girl, by Henry Kitchell Webster. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Ghost Girl by Henry Kitchell Webster. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Ghost Girl, by Henry Kitchell Webster. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ghostgirl_##_webster_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ghostgirl_01_webster_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by queenk8 on April 9th, 2018, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Summary to be updated and tags to be added before cataloging.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW to follow.

I've taken the liberty of listing myself a dpl. The author is/was local. If you have someone else in mind I can easily change it. Let me know if anything needs fixing in the MW. When you update the book summary let me know so I can change the copy that will be used when the book is catalogued. ID3 tags are automatically generated from the MW during cataloguing so you don't need to worry about them.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

craigdav1 wrote: February 24th, 2018, 2:30 pm MW to follow.

I've taken the liberty of listing myself a dpl. The author is/was local. If you have someone else in mind I can easily change it. Let me know if anything needs fixing in the MW. When you update the book summary let me know so I can change the copy that will be used when the book is catalogued. ID3 tags are automatically generated from the MW during cataloguing so you don't need to worry about them.
This is perfect, Dave. Happy to have you on board.
Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

We'll stay on the "Launch Pad" for a day or two before moving to the "Going Solo" forum. Now I need to learn more about the author.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

craigdav1 wrote: February 24th, 2018, 3:47 pm We'll stay on the "Launch Pad" for a day or two before moving to the "Going Solo" forum. Now I need to learn more about the author.
Both Wikipedia and IMDb are rather sparse when it comes to the bio. I discovered this author/book while reading a section for the Mentor 2, Makers of American Fiction - Men. Even that is a passing mention ("It is now almost twenty years since Henry Kitchell Webster and Samuel Merwin began their writing careers in collaboration. Together they wrote “The Short Line War” (1899), “Calumet K” and “Comrade John.” All these were well-told tales, and the later years, when each man has been working alone, have shown that neither one carried an undue share of the burden. Mr. Webster’s books include “The Whispering Man,” “A King in Khaki,” “The Ghost Girl,” “The Butterfly” and “The Real Adventure.”) Apparently "Calumet K" was the favorite book of Ayn Rand. Honestly, I was just intrigued by the title of this story, but when putting together the project notes, found it referenced in a blog discussing best books about séances where it was described as ridiculously scarce but one of the best of its genre. I read the opening paragraph and just knew I had to record it.
Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

...and only one solo by just HKW in the LV library. Well, two in the not to distant future.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Chapter 2 is ready for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ghostgirl_02_webster_128kb.mp3
21:07

And here's where I discover that these are recurring characters, having previously appeared in "The Whispering Man." I'll have to try to hunt that down when I'm done with this one.
Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to "Going Solo" forum.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK!
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis