[COMPLETE] King Lear by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hamlet wrote: February 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm Albany's only line in 1_1 is "Dear sir, forbear!" which he shares with Cornwall. Do we both say all three words, or do we split it up--one of us saying "Dear sir!" and the other "Forbear?"

Brad
No, say all three words. Both voices will be combined during editing so that they will sound in unison. :)
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_1_5.mp3 1:38

The other two files amended and uploaded.

Cheers
Last edited by Craigos on February 21st, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

an ebay link, Craig ? :hmm:

and thanks Brad for Albany ! Will try to PL later on. Looking forward to your voice now :9:

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

I just thought it was an opportunity for you to consider buying a powerful mitre saw.
I've changed it, as you don't seem that interested.

Sorry. :oops:
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_2_2.mp3 11:47

One more.

Cheers

PS. Mitre saw still available.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: February 21st, 2018, 12:38 pm PS. Mitre saw still available.
:lol: I would never dare bidding against you. Also I don't think I have an imminent use for a mitre saw. I did look the name up though, as I had no clue what it is. :lol:

will PL now

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent and flawless performance, Brad :clap: all scenes PL ok. I love Albany as the real upright good guy, only married to the wrong woman LOL but he seems to find that out quite quickly. I especially enjoyed this admonishing he did "What have you done? Tigers, not daughters, what have you perform’d?" etc...really great outrage there :thumbs:

Loved it ! Thanks. Now looking forward to Kent.

PS only your files were all around 93 dB. Careful with the volume, so you don't get too many clippings !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the Dramatis Personae have been assembled :) Could someone please check, that I put them in the correct order as in the Gutenberg text, and that I didn't miss any of them ?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_0_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:46 min.

The idea for putting them all in one file was a good one, it saved me a lot of time to assemble this section. :D

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Dramatis Personae is PL OK, Sonia! All credits in order and no missing words.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Tomas, that was fast :thumbs: another section done :9:

now over to Lear:
this scene was GREAT :shock: :thumbs: Lear's outrage at Goneril and Regan is simply delicious. Especially in the dialogue with Regan, I can picture it well because I remember how I spoke my quotes. She was really a bitch :lol:

BTW your file name is wrong it should be 2_4, but no matter, there are no errors or anything missing, so no need to reupload. I put it in the correct slot, so there will be no confusion.

Lear 1.1. / 1.5. / 2.4. all PL ok Great job so far Craig ! :9: Now get ready for real madness. BTW with your final quote "I shall go mad" you reminded me of John Cleese in this Python sketch where he was a cook in a restaurant with a war-wound who constantly had bouts of madness :lol:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I thought I'd better ask for opinions on my Kent voice before going further with it. Here is the first act. Basically, as I had stated previously, I wanted him to have a "disguise voice" for when he's talking to the king, but I don't want that voice to be totally unrecognizable from his regular voice, so I don't confuse the listeners. So what I have done was deepen my own regular voice by about an octave. In the first scene, he speaks normally in that low octave. In the second scene, I started in that same voice when he explains in soliloquy about his disguise, but once the king enters, I changed to a sort of pseudo-Cockney accent, but still maintaining the deeper octave. I say "pseudo" because I think I tend to butcher the Cockney accent. It's roughly the same voice I used when I was reading Sam Weller's speeches in my solo "The Pickwick Papers" project, and I still think I did it badly lol. Not being British myself is probably not helping.

When he has his conversations with the "Gentleman" later in the play, I figure he can use his normal voice since it's entirely possible the gentleman knows his true identity, but that's a matter of interpretation.

My main worry is that it makes Kent sound too comical when he's disguised, but I'm my own worst critic, so I need the opinion of others.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_kent_1_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_kent_1_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_kent_1_5.mp3

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 11:26 am So what I have done was deepen my own regular voice by about an octave. In the first scene, he speaks normally in that low octave. In the second scene, I started in that same voice when he explains in soliloquy about his disguise, but once the king enters, I changed to a sort of pseudo-Cockney accent, but still maintaining the deeper octave.
I LOVE the pseudo cockney and I hope Kent is saying more in that voice :9: All three scenes definitely PL ok. I really love the extreme outrage in scene 1.1. where he talks into the king's conscience. :thumbs:

I don't think the accent will confuse listeners. If they follow the play they should know what is happening. I think Edgar/Tom's voice is much more confusing as he is really changing in register :lol:
My main worry is that it makes Kent sound too comical when he's disguised
no I didn't find it too comical. He sounds like salt of the earth to me, a simple, honest man. Anyway, he will interact with a Fool, a mad King and Poor Tom. Believe me, he will sound the most sober of that quartet :lol:

Well done, Brad ! Only thing (again) your volume is way over the limit. Scene 1.1. is over 96 dB :shock: and there is clipping. I don't think it is distorting the sound, but be careful. Don't you have replayGain ? It would help with the volume control enormously.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I can't find anything called replayGain on my Audacity program. I do know how to lower the volume, so I could do that if you like.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 8:24 pm I can't find anything called replayGain on my Audacity program. I do know how to lower the volume, so I could do that if you like.
ah no, it's not there by default, it's a plug-in you can download:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
I use it on each of my files, it's very handy. :D

Sonia