[Complete][Portuguese] Cartas de Inglaterra de Eça de Queirós - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brianna

Post by brianna »

mmm, I do not really understand your question. I never get this warning in my Audacity. When I record a fresh file, I then do "Save file as..." and then I have an Audacity file, with extension .aup . Then when I edit and noise-clean and amplify, I save it again as Audacity file. And when all is finished, I then "export file as...." as an mp3 file.

Thank you my master! I was doing the other way : when I record a file a export it first and then I save it to be able to close it with another name. So I have a lot of doubled files!!! :shock:
Step by step I’ll get it!
Thanks a bunch
Brianna
Men work together,whether they work together or apart. (R.Frost)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianna wrote: February 15th, 2018, 2:43 pmI was doing the other way : when I record a file a export it first and then I save it to be able to close it with another name. So I have a lot of doubled files!!! :shock:
ok no I think it's best to first save as audacity file until you have the final corrected version. Only then ONCE you export as mp3. In the end you should have for every section, one audacity file (plus one yellow audacity folder where all the corrections are stored) and one mp3 file.

Sonia
sacciotto

Post by sacciotto »

Kitty wrote: February 15th, 2018, 2:29 pm This version is the correct one and PL ok now. Thank you.
Phew! What a relief, Sonia! Thank Lord! And thank YOU, of course! :clap:
Kitty wrote: February 15th, 2018, 2:29 pm Just careful with your end silences...they are 6 seconds already, while 5 is enough. No need to change this here, but careful not to make them even longer. (you are just the opposite of Brianna with the end silences here )
:shock: :lol: Thank you! And I'll be more careful next time. I see how much one second may be a killer here. :lol: I checked my last recording, and it has precisily 5 seconds! :clap:

BTW, here it is! (God listens to my prayers so this time everything will be ok!) DURATION: 25"27'

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cartasdeinglaterra_07_queiros_128kb.mp3

Have a good night!

Hugs,

Adriana
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sacciotto wrote: February 15th, 2018, 5:49 pm :shock: :lol: Thank you! And I'll be more careful next time. I see how much one second may be a killer here. :lol:
haha no don't take it the wrong way. We are not that picky that it needs to be "exactly" 5 seconds, but it shouldn't be too much different either. So with 4 seconds or with 6 seconds, I always tell the reader. They don't have to correct it for that section, but they should just be aware of it, so that it does not become even more, or even less, depending on the case.
yes now everything is in and perfectly corrected and PL ok now. Thank you ! We already have over 1/3 finished :9:

Sonia
sacciotto

Post by sacciotto »

Kitty wrote: February 16th, 2018, 3:09 am yes now everything is in and perfectly corrected and PL ok now. Thank you ! We already have over 1/3 finished
Wow! Good morning, Sonia! That sounds great!
The feeling of having reached our goals is so good... There's something still to have all project conquered, but we all are doing well!

Thank you very very much,

Adriana,
Mayah92

Post by Mayah92 »

Let's give Peace a chance. :wink:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Mayah92 wrote:Here is section 6, time: 26 min 24 secs
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cartasdeinglaterra_06_queiros_128kb.mp3
thank you very much Mayah :) This text was very much food for thought already back in the pre-war times. One can see the direction it was heading already. :?

Everything excellently read, but I found 3 stumble and repeats, which can easily be cut out:

> at 3:42: “petições”
> at 20:25: “e põem um orgulho”
> at 22:46: “de supplicios

Oh and in case you still want to help with Prooflistening, Adriana has started her first Solo, so if you want to help out there, that would be great. I have too many DPL jobs for the moment, and cannot take on one more unfortunately. If you are interested to listen to the text, you can post here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69283

thank you

Sonia
Giovani

Post by Giovani »

Hi Everyone! Hi Kitty!

I'm just starting here, and I would like to read sections 8 and 9, if that's possible.

Thanks in advance! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Giovani wrote: February 20th, 2018, 10:08 pm Hi Everyone! Hi Kitty!
I'm just starting here, and I would like to read sections 8 and 9, if that's possible.
Thanks in advance! :D
Hello Giovani. Great to get a new Portuguese/Brazilian reader for this project. :D I see you have already passed your one-minute-test :thumbs: so I will reserve the two sections for you. Everything you need to know for the intro/outro and the file-naming can be read in the very first post, so check that out before you record.

To open up your official reader page, I would need to know with what Reader Name you would like to be credited. Can be your forum name, or real full name or anything else. Just let me know and I register you officially.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your first recording.

Sonia
Giovani

Post by Giovani »

Hello Sonia!

Thanks for the kindly welcome! Now, let's see if I can pass a lengthier test...:lol:

I already checked the info about how to proceed and listened some sections to get a glimpse of how it's done. It seems pretty straight forward to me, but I will read through it carefully this afternoon and I'll let you know if I have any questions.

As for my profile info, if that's ok, I would like to be credited by my real name, which is Giovani Tassi.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Giovani wrote: February 21st, 2018, 11:01 am As for my profile info, if that's ok, I would like to be credited by my real name, which is Giovani Tassi.
all right, you are officially signed up to the 2 sections now. :)

Here is your brand new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12287
all the projects you are participating in will be listed here. If you click on "Reader Section Details" you will see which sections are still to be recorded, which have PL notes to correct and which are already PL ok. That's the goal you want to reach ;)

Have fun ! Looking forward to hearing your sections. Oh, maybe I could have a small request. As I am not a native speaker of Portuguese (I understand it but cannot really speak it), I hope you will not read TOO fast, so that I can follow along with the text. :help: I mean, you can/should of course read the way you find best, but I hope that will not be too fast. :lol: Otherwise I will have trouble.

Sonia
Giovani

Post by Giovani »

Hi Sonia!

Thank you again.

This is my reading of section 8:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cartasdeinglaterra_08_queiros_128kb.mp3

Hope it's neither too fast nor too slow. No pressure on you, but I'll wait for your feedback before reading the next session, so I can do it accordingly. :wink:

I'm editing to add the length of the file: 21:19. I forgot to mention it before. :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Congratulations for your first contribution, Giovani :clap: You did not choose a small text to start. Well done. I immensely enjoyed listening to it. You have a very agreeable voice to listen to. :9:
Hope it's neither too fast nor too slow. No pressure on you, but I'll wait for your feedback before reading the next session, so I can do it accordingly. :wink:
haha, well technically, you are allowed to read as you feel best, as long as it is understandable to others. And I'm sure native Portuguese speakers will have no problem at all to understand your reading. :thumbs: You speak fluently, but very nicely enunciated, so all is well.

I mentioned not speaking too fast, because otherwise I personally will have trouble following with the text, because Portuguese is not my mother-tongue. But the way you read it was quite ok. I was able to follow along and understand most of it :mrgreen: You can continue like that.

Also intro/outro is perfect, you have the 5 seconds silence at the end. You really did it all correctly and I can give a PL ok immediately.

I have just one small question, where I am unsure if it's a textual error or not. As I don't speak the language fluently, I will refer to your knowledge here. Could you have a listen at 14:31: “A obra, á parte algumas fugitivas” – I hear some word in between, something like “viviparte” ? :hmm: If you tell me this doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, then all is fine and you won't need to correct anything. But in case you made a small blooper there, maybe one could re-record this one sentence.

I let you decide, as I'm sure you will know what's best :)

Thank you, and good luck with the second part ! Disraeli's life is quite interesting.

Sonia
Giovani

Post by Giovani »

Thank you Sonia! You really made my day :9:

And you are correct, that "vivi" was a terrible blooper. I just deleted it from the original audio, and the result is seamless. It was better than record again, normalize and insert in the original record.

What I also corrected was something I noticed while checking again the text. At 2:50, I said "pôde-se", which is past tense of "poder". The original is "pode-se"(ó), present tense. So I recorded it again and inserted in the right position. It doesn't change the meaning of the sentence in that case, but it was what the author wrote.

And you did a great job reading. :clap: What I must say, and maybe you already acknowledged that, is that in Brazil we don't say "factos", but "fatos", "omnipotencia", but "onipotência". So I ditched the "c" and "m" in words like that, because it would sound too much unnatural.

And yes, quite an interesting person, Lord Beaconsfield. I felt a bit uneasy with the blatant anti-Semitic tone used by Eça de Queirós, but it's a great piece of biography, indeed.

And here it is the new audio:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cartasdeinglaterra_08_queiros_128kb.mp3

Duration: 21:20.55 (m:ss.ss)

Now let's go to the next chapter! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Giovani wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 8:03 pmAnd you are correct, that "vivi" was a terrible blooper. I just deleted it from the original audio, and the result is seamless.
indeed, perfectly cut out :thumbs: thank you. I'm glad I mentioned it then.
What I also corrected was something I noticed while checking again the text. At 2:50, I said "pôde-se", which is past tense of "poder". The original is "pode-se"(ó), present tense.
see now this is the thing of error that would slip through my net, because I don't speak the language that well. I'm glad it didn't change the meaning though :lol:
It doesn't change the meaning of the sentence in that case, but it was what the author wrote.
that's very laudable. It was not necessary in this case as we don't have the "word perfect" requirement. I myself am a fan of word perfect, but I let thing slip by if they really don't change the meaning.
And you did a great job reading. :clap: What I must say, and maybe you already acknowledged that, is that in Brazil we don't say "factos", but "fatos", "omnipotencia", but "onipotência". So I ditched the "c" and "m" in words like that, because it would sound too much unnatural.
oh you are totally allowed to do that. You don't have to change your natural pronunciation/accent of your own language. In English we have the same, Americans, Australians, Irish, British and who else speaks English as mothertongue, they all sometimes pronounce some words differently. That is not a problem. Maybe if Queiros used a special Portuguese word/vocabulary that is said differently in Brazil, there you would need to read what the author wrote and not use your own vocabulary. But for accents, it's not required.

Oh and I know a bit about the differences of pronunciation of Brazilian and Portuguese. I actually started learning Portuguese with a European book and ended up using a Brazilian book and was so astonished when some letters were spoken differently. For example, the 's' at the end the Brazilians speak as a clear 's', while the European Portuguese say a sort of English 'sh'-sound. While you on the other hand say 'dje' for '-de' endings and the Portuguese say a clear 'de'. Those are most noticeable, but I can understand both.
I felt a bit uneasy with the blatant anti-Semitic tone used by Eça de Queirós
yes that is the risk of us using Public domain texts from before 1923. The language back then was much more racist, even people who were not racist at the time used terms that nowadays are not acceptable for us anymore. Here of course we need to insist to use the original term as it is a piece of history and wouldn't make sense modernizing it. Take for example Mark Twain's Huckleberry Fynn. If you don't want to use certain offensive racist words, you better not read that book because they are used abundantly.

But Queiros did not strike me as racist, he only used the vocabulary of his time. Just like Mark Twain. So I would have no problem reading those books.

Looking forward to the next chapter :)

Sonia