The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
bookworm18

Post by bookworm18 »

Thanks so much!
I am going to call the Geek Squad first. If they can’t get it to work I may try Garage Band after that. I’m thinking also of just buying a cheap laptop, not a Mac and only using it for audio.
Much appreciated!
Jennifer
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Geek Squad will probably be able to help, but do you want to wait (however long it would take them to get there)? Wouldn't you rather read Audacity's manual? There is a section on LAME: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

Give it a try...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
bookworm18

Post by bookworm18 »

Thanks for the link. I may have read it already but I will open it up. Who knows maybe I missed something or maybe something is wrong with my computer?

Thanks a bunch!
-Jennifer
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It's tedious, isn't it, reading the same manual with the same tired eyes...

What usually helps me is repeating the procedure step by step. Instead of trying to recall what I did do, and comparing it to what's written on some web page in hopes to figure out what I didn't do, I simply repeat the steps from the start. If it works afterwards, why does it matter what mistake I had made? :wink:
tovarisch
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe like me they have a mind that always wants to do why things happened :D . But he's right , there are so many variables involved - and you joined to read.........
just clear the decks and your mind and start again with Lame step by step. Lots of our readers are Mac users so it should work for you

Anne
bookworm18

Post by bookworm18 »

Thanks so much!!
I fixed it...finally. My computer just wanted the zip file installed instead. I don't know the reasons why but the zip file worked instantly. Yay! I uploaded my 1 Minute Test for review. So at least I am on track now.

Again, thank you.

-Jennifer
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anne
VaibhavBansal

Post by VaibhavBansal »

Can anyone please help me with my recording?
I recorded chapter 15, but in the recording, there are heavy noises at some points, which makes it difficult to remove to noise. So I have only one option and that is to re-record those particular words and replace them in the recording.
But the problem is, no matter where I record those words, my voice always sounds very different than that in the whole recording.
I cannot replace those words.
If anyone knows what to do, Please help!.
Regards
Vaibhav Bansal
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

First off, your post does not really belong to this thread. You don't have an Audacity problem. You have a consistency problem.

Second, until you develop your technique such that will enable you to replace individual words, think of replacing phrases or even sentences. Listen to your own way of saying that phrase or sentence and repeat after yourself. Record (it will probably create another track), play it back and see if you still need to change it. Try to get it as close to the original cadence and intonation as possible. In the end you won't get it exactly the same, but you can stop when it's close enough so that the listener will not mind.

Third, practice makes perfect. The more you record, the better you will be at repeating what you read previously with similar power, cadence, emphases...

Fourth, relax. Take a few breaths. A phrase or a sentence that sounds just a bit off is not going to ruin your recording, I assure you.
tovarisch
bookworm2575W

Post by bookworm2575W »

I can't find the book to post my finished reading to.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/prejudicesfirstseries_7_mencken_128kb.mp3

Karen
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You don't really have an Audacity problem... It's better to start a new topic instead of posting in an unrelated thread.

I think you're looking for this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69110

HTH
tovarisch
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Where can I get the Single Band Parametric plugins? The link on the wiki page seems to be broken:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Removing_Mains_Hum#How_to_install_Single_Band_Parametric_in_Audacity
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

I believe that's one of the LADSPA plugins. I think you have to download the entire plugins package (about 90 of them!) to install them using the official method. The download link is on the Audacity plugins download page.

Most people don't need any of those plugins for Librivox recording. If you're attempting to solve a particular problem, there may be a simpler solution. Feel free to let us know; there may be an easier way to go about it.

-Ian
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Initially I picked up on the suggestion for using it to deal with over-sibilant "s" sounds, but I also found it helped cut down the background hiss and crackle when digitising some old 78s (records), where the general noise reduction facility takes too much out.

I've since changed computers and was looking to set up as it was, but if there are any better ideas for either issue I'd welcome them.

I've tried installing the "De-Esser" plugin, but I can't seem to get it to make any difference. Maybe I haven't activated it properly.
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

For equalisation duties I think the regular Audacity Equalization effect offers something just as good and more flexible because it allows you to draw any arbitary curve. Just draw what you want and experiment. Tip: to get rid of node points, just drag them somewhere outside the graph - everything else is pretty obvious.

For overly-sibilant sounds it's often best to move the microphone slightly so that it's pointing at your mouth but from, say, 45 degrees to the side. If you dealt with sibilance using the LADSPA plugin, then the regular Audacity equalizer should work just as well. For sibilance I've not found a good (free) solution that works well on all voices. Some people use Spitfish, but I've never found it convincing.

Removing hiss and crackle from old records isn't easy. In addition to EQ you could also try the Audacity Noise Gate to push the hiss a bit lower (don't gate it out completely). Also try the Audacity declicker for removing clicks. It can be a pain to find the right settings, but many people find it works well. The Repair tool is also extremely useful for taking out very short clicks, but it's also very labour-intensive because you have to zoom in and repair each one individually.

Hope that helps,

-Ian