[Complete] The Golden Gems of Life - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

sherrilothridge wrote: February 16th, 2018, 10:45 am Here is section 88 with the beginning and end times fixed. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_088_allen_128kb.mp3 12:11

Sherri
Section 88 Almost there. The ending silence is now about 3.5 seconds, which is a bit too short. Lengthen it by 1.5 seconds and it will be just right. One easy way to do this in Audacity is to put the cursor at the end of the recording, select Generate, Silence, and set the duration to 1.500 seconds.
Tom Penn
RonBroachVoiceOver

Post by RonBroachVoiceOver »

Here is the file for Chapter 18.

I've done 3 chapters now and I'm getting the work-flow down pretty good, it's feeling more comfortable. I know the first 2 sections have been approved, but I'm curious - is there anything you would advise to make it better? It could be technical or performance related. Thanks for any comments you feel are relevant.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_018_allen_128kb.mp3

This section is 10:50 seconds.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Penumbra wrote: February 16th, 2018, 11:44 am
Hi Tom,
Here's the amplified version (by 19dB):
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_015_allen_128kb.mp3
I generally use the mp3 gain, which I could have forgotten in the previous version. :?
This time I amplified in Audacity itself, as you suggested.
Please see if it's ok.
Thanks, Raj.
PS: I must appreciate you, for your patience, and guidance
Section 15 is PL OK! :clap:
Perfect! Thank you.
At last! :D
Thanks much, Tom.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Hi Lynne,
If still available, I can read (any or all) Sections 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23.
Thanks, Raj. :)
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

RajVO wrote: February 16th, 2018, 2:23 pm Hi Lynne,
I'll sign you up.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Lynnet wrote: February 16th, 2018, 3:09 pm
RajVO wrote: February 16th, 2018, 2:23 pm Hi Lynne,
I'll sign you up.
Thank you, Lynne.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

RonBroachVoiceOver wrote: February 16th, 2018, 1:56 pm Here is the file for Chapter 18.

I've done 3 chapters now and I'm getting the work-flow down pretty good, it's feeling more comfortable. I know the first 2 sections have been approved, but I'm curious - is there anything you would advise to make it better? It could be technical or performance related. Thanks for any comments you feel are relevant.

Section 18 is PL OK! :clap:

This is another fine reading, Ron. Since you asked, I will mention that you deviate from the text slightly a few times (eg, 10:05 I heard "lax" but I read "slack") but the deviations are inconsequential. In my own recording I once saw the word "earth" and said "world" and didn't know it until later when I checked my recording for accuracy. Such small deviations are of no account. They don't alter the meaning and fixing them often results in a change in pitch or timbre that just sticks out. Technically your recording is very good. The noise level is quite low, the room acoustics are good, your delivery is very even and smooth.

I'll PM you with some thoughts that are off topic for this thread.

Tom
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Penumbra wrote: February 16th, 2018, 7:48 pm
RonBroachVoiceOver wrote: February 16th, 2018, 1:56 pm Here is the file for Chapter 18.

This is another fine reading, Ron. Since you asked, I will mention that you deviate from the text slightly a few times (eg, 10:05 I heard "lax" but I read "slack") but the deviations are inconsequential. In my own recording I once saw the word "earth" and said "world" and didn't know it until later when I checked my recording for accuracy. Such small deviations are of no account. They don't alter the meaning and fixing them often results in a change in pitch or timbre that just sticks out. Technically your recording is very good. The noise level is quite low, the room acoustics are good, your delivery is very even and smooth.

Tom
Maybe it is worth pointing out the difference between standard and word-perfect proof listening. With standard, we just want it to make sense (so lax and slack probably don't change the meaning). A lot of us add the occasional 'and' or 'but' and that usually doesn't matter.
Word perfect is exactly that (and it will tell you in the first post which is required). Some BCs always ask for word perfect (I can think of 2, but there are probably more) and it annoys most people :lol: However, poetry, The Bible (and other religious texts? not sure about that) and Shakespeare nearly always call for WP.
RonBroachVoiceOver

Post by RonBroachVoiceOver »

Lynnet wrote: February 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm
Penumbra wrote: February 16th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Tom
Maybe it is worth pointing out the difference between standard and word-perfect proof listening. With standard, we just want it to make sense (so lax and slack probably don't change the meaning). A lot of us add the occasional 'and' or 'but' and that usually doesn't matter.
Word perfect is exactly that (and it will tell you in the first post which is required). Some BCs always ask for word perfect (I can think of 2, but there are probably more) and it annoys most people :lol: However, poetry, The Bible (and other religious texts? not sure about that) and Shakespeare nearly always call for WP.
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm happy that the tech side is good. I like the technical/production side, that part of it comes fairly easily, so it's nice to have the confirmation knowing someone else thinks it's good.
Your performance input is great! I did listen to the recording and fix a few things before I submitted them. However, I did this chapter all in one sitting - from the original read-through - to the recording - and finally the review/editing. Perhaps, especially since I missed some stuff, it would be good to let it sit for a day and then listen again. :hmm: :wink: :)

Ron
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Ron (and everyone else who hasn't seen it):
In case you haven't seen it, there is a Making your reading sound Great thread and a What If I Suck thread under the Need Help? Got Advice? forum topic that you may find interesting.
Tom Penn
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Hi Tom,
Here's my recording of section#23 'Education' for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_023_allen_128kb.mp3
Length is 16:09.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

RajVO wrote: February 19th, 2018, 8:39 pm Hi Tom,
Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

RajVO wrote: February 19th, 2018, 8:39 pm Hi Tom,
Thank you
drexinaz

Post by drexinaz »

May I read Section 30, Power of Custom?

Robert Drexler
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

drexinaz wrote: February 20th, 2018, 11:44 am May I read Section 30, Power of Custom?

Robert Drexler
All yours