COMPLETE[DUET]St. George and St. Michael, Vol 2 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

St. George and St. Michael, Volume 2 by George MacDonald (1824 - 1905).

’St. George and St. Michael’ is a little-known historical romance telling the story of a young couple who find themselves on opposing sides during the tumultuous years of the English Civil Wars.

Tensions are rising between king and parliament, the Church of England and the numerous independent puritans, and rumours abound that Charles I will soon declare open war on the dissident elements within his realm. Seventeen-year-old Dorothy Vaughan knows little of the brewing conflict, yet is sure that her loyalty must be with her king and her nation. When she challenges her childhood friend, Richard Heywood, to prove himself a man and so worthy of winning her hand in marriage by becoming involved in the larger events that surround them, he finds that his convictions – both political and spiritual – lie with his father’s and the puritans. Determined to do what he believes is right, Richard finds that he cannot shake his immovable conscience, even for the woman he loves.

Though it is, for the most part, a realistic novel, ‘St. George and St. Michael’ is not without either the otherwordly atmosphere of the fantastic or the rich spiritual depth that characterises so much of MacDonald’s writing. (Summary by Jordan)
  • This project is complete. Audio files can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/st-george-and-st-michael-volume-2-by-george-macdonald/

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5751
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: UoF5Z16y
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (George MacDonald) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 22
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1876
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romance, church, war, england, parliament, invention, king

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of St. George and St. Michael, Volume 2, by George MacDonald. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Chapter [number] [Chapter title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of St. George and St. Michael, Volume 2, by George MacDonald. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      stgeorgeandstmichael2_##_macdonald_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section (not chapter) number (e.g. stgeorgeandstmichael2_01_macdonald_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: George MacDonald
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: St. George and St. Michael, Volume 2

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on March 15th, 2018, 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This will be read by Win2017 and myself. She'll be reading the bulk of it, and I'll do the rest. We will PL one another's sections, so no DPL required. It would be best if we both have access to the MW, though I believe she'll need the intro course for how to use it.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

That looks great. I read the article on PLing and I am sure I understand it. I definitely will need to be told how the MW works, but I am sure it is not difficult. I still have two other chapters to finish, so I will get started on this sometime next week. Other than that everything looks good. Thanks for setting it all up, it was quick and easy. :)
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: February 17th, 2018, 1:40 am That looks great. I read the article on PLing and I am sure I understand it. I definitely will need to be told how the MW works, but I am sure it is not difficult. I still have two other chapters to finish, so I will get started on this sometime next week. Other than that everything looks good. Thanks for setting it all up, it was quick and easy. :)
We're not quite set up yet. We still need this project to be picked up by an MC. Sooner or later one of them will come along and provide our MW. Then one or both of us will need to fill in the MW with section titles and so forth. Our MC will also be able to send you some info on how to work the MW. After you've done it once or twice, making changes in the MW isn't too difficult. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

While I'm thinking of it (and this may be irrelevant, if you don't have the same issue with this word as I do), this book talks quite a lot about the Marquis. Now, I really never knew how to pronounce this word, and that didn't bother me much when I was just reading MacDonald for myself. But when I started thinking about taking on this book, I did some research on the pronunciation of the word "Marquis". (I mean, it might even be kind of silly how much it bothered me!) Apparently Marquis was a title kind of like an earl, but higher ranking, because marquises controlled border territories. The French pronunciation is mar-KEE, which is what the reader for Volume 1 of this book used. But the British pronunciation is MAR-kwis, which I think is better for this book, since it's set in England. So that's what I've planned to use.

Sorry if that's way TMI, but like I said, this one word really perplexed me! So, there's that! :lol:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can MC this. Setting up now.

EDIT: There you go. I put win2017 as PL to give MW access.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Todd. Can you also post info for her on how to use the MW, as for a first time soloist or BC?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 6:35 am Thank you, Todd. Can you also post info for her on how to use the MW, as for a first time soloist or BC?
Best guide we have is from Phil - one of his many wonderful youtube videos about how to do Librivox: viewtopic.php?p=937834#p937834 shows how to set up a solo project (already all done), and then at about 10 minutes in how to use the MW.

My biggest word of advice: watch out for the "X" at the right hand edge that deletes sections.

And just ask me for help if there is any problem.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: February 17th, 2018, 8:02 am
mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 6:35 am Thank you, Todd. Can you also post info for her on how to use the MW, as for a first time soloist or BC?
Best guide we have is from Phil - one of his many wonderful youtube videos about how to do Librivox: viewtopic.php?p=937834#p937834 shows how to set up a solo project (already all done), and then at about 10 minutes in how to use the MW.

My biggest word of advice: watch out for the "X" at the right hand edge that deletes sections.

And just ask me for help if there is any problem.

Thanks, Todd
Oh, thanks! I didn't know Phil had a video for that, but it shouldn't surprise me. When I started my first solo, I was given a link to a google doc, or something of the sort. I guess I thought that was kind of "standard."
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 1:53 am While I'm thinking of it (and this may be irrelevant, if you don't have the same issue with this word as I do), this book talks quite a lot about the Marquis. Now, I really never knew how to pronounce this word, and that didn't bother me much when I was just reading MacDonald for myself. But when I started thinking about taking on this book, I did some research on the pronunciation of the word "Marquis". (I mean, it might even be kind of silly how much it bothered me!) Apparently Marquis was a title kind of like an earl, but higher ranking, because marquises controlled border territories. The French pronunciation is mar-KEE, which is what the reader for Volume 1 of this book used. But the British pronunciation is MAR-kwis, which I think is better for this book, since it's set in England. So that's what I've planned to use.

Sorry if that's way TMI, but like I said, this one word really perplexed me! So, there's that! :lol:
That's funny! I've read this book over a few times and I've always been taught to pronounce it Mar-Kee, if you want to use Mar-kwis, I can to, although I will have to work on changing it. Or maybe it's not a big deal to say it differently, I personally have a hard time with words that are the names of places. They are impossible! plus no one uses a lot of those old English place names, so no one really tells the correct pronunciation. At the end of the day I try not to make to big of a deal about it. So if you like that pronunciation better it really does not bother me either way, I just like the sound of Mar-kee a bit better, it rolls well :lol:
Last edited by Win2017 on February 17th, 2018, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I watched Phils video and I think I understand everything. Do you want we to enter in everything, like the name of the chapters and who they're assigned to? I am just clearing it in case you were going to. I definitely can, although I am probably going to make mistakes so just correct me if anything is wrong. Also, I will not be able to do it till Monday probably. Thanks :)
Hope Kuerschner

Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Win2017 wrote: February 17th, 2018, 12:15 pm
mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 1:53 am While I'm thinking of it (and this may be irrelevant, if you don't have the same issue with this word as I do), this book talks quite a lot about the Marquis. Now, I really never knew how to pronounce this word, and that didn't bother me much when I was just reading MacDonald for myself. But when I started thinking about taking on this book, I did some research on the pronunciation of the word "Marquis". (I mean, it might even be kind of silly how much it bothered me!) Apparently Marquis was a title kind of like an earl, but higher ranking, because marquises controlled border territories. The French pronunciation is mar-KEE, which is what the reader for Volume 1 of this book used. But the British pronunciation is MAR-kwis, which I think is better for this book, since it's set in England. So that's what I've planned to use.

That's funny! I've read this book over a few times and I've always been taught to pronounce it Mar-Kee, if you want to use Mar-kwis, I can to, although I will have to work on changing it. Or maybe it's not a big deal to say it differently, I personally have a hard time with words that are the names of places. They are impossible! plus no one uses a lot of those old English place names, so no one really tells the correct pronunciation. At the end of the day I try not to make to big of a deal about it. So if you like that pronunciation better, it really does not bother me either way, I just like the sound of Mar-kee a bit better, it rolls well :lol:
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If you want to fill in the names of the chapters and assign our sections, just for practice or to try it out, that's perfectly fine. Or I don't mind doing it myself. I will be able to do that tomorrow. I also have word counts I can add for each chapter, if you want them. (I find that helpful, so that I have an idea how much time will be required to record a certain section.)

As to Marquis, since you have a clearly preferred pronunciation already, I won't ask you to change it. For some reason, mar-KEE never felt right to me, even though I'd heard it a few times. I don't think it's extremely important that we say it the same as each other. I already was planning to go counter to what was used in volume 1, after all. So just do what feels comfortable.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Okay, I’ll enter in whatever I can, and you can add the amount of words. It probably would be helpful. Now I just need to get to work, but it’s also getting way too addictive, I’ve got to watch my time with it :lol:
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, word counts are in. Let me (or Todd :wink: ) know if you have trouble entering titles or assigning sections.
Win2017 wrote: February 17th, 2018, 7:25 pm but it’s also getting way too addictive, I’ve got to watch my time with it :lol:
Hah! You have no idea! My husband is starting to complain that people on LV see me more often than he does! :lol: