A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I am a great fan of G.M and this book is about the struggles of a young child, and adults selfishness and unwillingness to help on any level. I think I would be great to read and I would need some help for maybe half of it. Here is a link to it. Thanks

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8886
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Are you saying you'd like to read it yourself? But you're only going to be able to read half of it, is that right?

That's fine if so, but I just wanted to be sure I'm understanding you clearly. I'd love to see this book make it into the LV catalog! I'm also a huge G MacD fan, and working on some of his writings now. I'm committed to seeing that we eventually get all of his works onto LibriVox, so I'll be more than happy to help you in any way, if you need it.

Your first step will be to do your one-minute test, to make sure the settings on your recording software are all right. (Welcome to LibriVox, by the way! Happy to meet you!) It's also a good idea to record at least a little bit for another project, so that you can have a better idea of what is involved in recording and editing each section. That's not required, but it really, really helps. It looks like you have signed up for one or two other projects already, though, so that's good.

Let me know how you want to proceed with A Rough Shaking, and maybe after you've recorded your one minute test and the other sections you picked up, we/you can get started with it?
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hi, thanks for wanting to do this.
You are right about the 1-minute test and I will upload it as soon as possible. But I also have some chapters to do on another book and my computer has not been available so it might take me like 2-3 weeks, maybe more, to get started on this project. I will comment again though when I can begin, and I will post that sample in the next few days. Oh and I just got a cold on top of all that so, ya, its not great. Thanks, though for everything
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 3:24 pm Hi, thanks for wanting to do this.
You are right about the 1-minute test and I will upload it as soon as possible. But I also have some chapters to do on another book and my computer has not been available so it might take me like 2-3 weeks, maybe more, to get started on this project. I will comment again though when I can begin, and I will post that sample in the next few days. Oh and I just got a cold on top of all that so, ya, its not great. Thanks, though for everything
No problem! I just got over something that had me unable to record for a good week or so, so I understand. Let me know when you're ready to start this book, or if you change your mind. If you want, I will be happy to PL (proof listen) for you. There's no pressure. One of the nice things about LV is that we're all pretty chill. For the most part, you're able to record on your own schedule and you can back out or change your mind if life gets in the way. 8-)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hey, I realized I didn't need to record something new so this is just an excerpt from one of my other recordings, you can see if it is good.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/testwin2017.mp3
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You sound nice and clear! I'm impressed that you got such a quality sound from a headphone mic! :thumbs:

I see that you've also posted this over in Listeners Wanted, and you've also already received some feedback on the technical side of the recording. Luckily, the only tech thing you need to change is a quick fix. :)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hi, I had a thought, I would like to do this book, but I was looking at G.M books and there is the first volume of St George and St Michael already done, but last 2 volumes have not been done. Maybe we could do a collaborative effort with others to get those done first. I think it would be worth finishing as I remember listening and being disappointed that it wasn't finished. Sadly me and my whole house are just getting over the worst cold I've had in a long while, bad timing. Andrea
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: January 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm Hi, I had a thought, I would like to do this book, but I was looking at G.M books and there is the first volume of St George and St Michael already done, but last 2 volumes have not been done. Maybe we could do a collaborative effort with others to get those done first. I think it would be worth finishing as I remember listening and being disappointed that it wasn't finished. Sadly me and my whole house are just getting over the worst cold I've had in a long while, bad timing. Andrea
That's certainly a possibility. I had planned to finish that one out myself, but then at the last minute, I changed my mind and decided to do Malcolm first. St. George and St. Michael would be next on my list if no one else gets to it first. What kind of a collaboration were you thinking? Each of us read every other chapter or something?

They're both well worth doing, and I'm on board for either one. Just let me know what you'd like to do. :D
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Ok, perfect, I think it would be best to have a completed St George and St Micheal before starting something new. I will let you know when I can begin, as that cold is not going away and I anxious to finish the other 2 chapters I promised to do. So, sorry it is taking some time but I will let you know when I am done. Thanks Andrea :)
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 4:57 pm Ok, perfect, I think it would be best to have a completed St George and St Micheal before starting something new. I will let you know when I can begin, as that cold is not going away and I anxious to finish the other 2 chapters I promised to do. So, sorry it is taking some time but I will let you know when I am done. Thanks Andrea :)
No rush. I have plenty going on in the mean time to keep me busy. :)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hi,
So I am almost done helping with the book Unto Caesar and was thinking we could get started on volume 2 of StG/StM? I could read most of it if you are working on other things, but it doesn't matter, we can figure that out once it is set up :) Hope

I think you were part of the other thread, were I said I would now be going by Hope :D
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: February 15th, 2018, 3:09 pm Hi,
So I am almost done helping with the book Unto Caesar and was thinking we could get started on volume 2 of StG/StM? I could read most of it if you are working on other things, but it doesn't matter, we can figure that out once it is set up :) Hope

I think you were part of the other thread, were I said I would now be going by Hope :D
Ok Hope, sounds good to me! I just took another look at the chapter breakdown. There are 22 chapters (chapters 17-38) ranging from 1258 to 5116 words each (avg 2465 words). Like I said, we could do something like you take evens, I take odds (for instance) or maybe you can just tell me which ones/how many you want, and I'll take the rest. If you think you may like to try it as a solo after all, I'll gladly PL for you. Or I could set it up as a group project and let you take as many chapters as you want, but also open it up to others at the same time. There are a lot of directions in which we could take this, and some of them could change the way the project would be set up. So I do think it would be good to get as much of the planning done as possible before launching.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Ok, that's sound fine. My idea is that I wouldn't mind trying solo, but I fear that I will not have the time. So how about I do chapters 17-30 and you do the last 8. I haven't yet been tested on longer projects so I don't know how I will hold up. :D
Hope Kuerschner

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: February 15th, 2018, 8:13 pm Ok, that's sound fine. My idea is that I wouldn't mind trying solo, but I fear that I will not have the time. So how about I do chapters 17-30 and you do the last 8. I haven't yet been tested on longer projects so I don't know how I will hold up. :D
That sounds good to me. We can PL each other's sections, too, so we won't need to find a DPL. How does that sound?
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

That sounds perfect except I am not quite familiar with the PLing but you can explain it to me. What is a DPL? Yeah I know, I am not quite in the know yet :D
Hope Kuerschner