[COMPLETE] Stories From The Operas by Gladys Davidson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Ava,
That would be wonderful. Thank you for joining us. :D
RussellEric

Post by RussellEric »

I would like to claim Section 5, Bellini’s I Puritani. This is my first recording, so any advice and eventually feedback will be greatly appreciated. I chose this selection because it is one of your shorter items, and there are few non-English words to worry about pronunciation!
linny

Post by linny »

Welcome to LV and congratulations on getting your setup working for your 1 minute test.

Please let me know what name you would like to have show up in the catalog.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way.
DianaS

Post by DianaS »

Hi, here is section 29, The Barber of Seville time= 14:12.87

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storiesfromtheoperas_29_davidson_128kb.mp3
DianaS

Post by DianaS »

Hi, may I read section 36, IL TROVATORE, OR, THE GIPSY'S VENGEANCE?
DianaS

Post by linny »

TheVagabond wrote: February 9th, 2018, 6:05 am Completed reading: PUCCINI, LA BOHEME

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storiesfromtheoperas_27_davidson_128kb.mp3

Track length: 37 mins, 30 secs

No last minute stabbing this time, but no less tragic. It's getting harder to keep the tears out of the microphone.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I'm sorry you had such a long wait for PL notes.

The reading was great. The volume however is too low at 85.9dB. You don't have the room for a straight amplification without having to lower some high spots. The leveler on moderate should be enough to bring you in range.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Hi Linny,

Recording of PUCCINI, LA BOHEME - altered by leveler set at 2.

I was uncertain myself about the volume of the first version, but the checker said it was OK. Not infallible it seems.

I gather that the leveler is to be used sparingly, but I now know a little more about it.

Tom
'Make use of time, let not advantage slip'
(Shakespeare, Venus and Adonis)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've never been clear about the differences between the Leveller, the Compressor and the Normalizer! I use the Compressor mostly, because I often have a lot of volume variation even if I'm averaging OK - the compressor moves everything a bit towards the average.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

The Leveller, the Compressor, and the Normalizer?

They sound like the favourite weapons of the Three Musketeers.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Compressor - shrinks peaks. More controls for the user to determine which peaks to use compression on, how much to shrink them, etc.

Normalize - raises the selected audio's volume (amplifies) so that the highest peak is at a specified distance from maximum. So if you set Normalize to 0.5, it will set the volume of the whole selection so that the biggest peak is 0.5 dB from clipping/maximum.

(as compared to) Amplify - raises or reduces the selected audio's volume by the amount you specify. So if you amplify 0.5, it raises the volume 0.5 dB for the selected audio. (Amplify by -0.5 reduces the volume by that amount.)

Leveler - shrinks some peaks, raises some low spots. I'm not sure how it decides what to shrink and what to raise. :) It might just be a light compressor and normalizer. IIRC, it has settings of Light, Medium, and Heavy. (I just went to check on my Audacity, and I cannot find the Leveler. I wonder if they've gotten rid of it in newer versions of Audacity.)

Personally, I compress as it gives me more control, and amplify rather than normalize because I don't care what the peak volume is; I want to raise the whole recording by the amount I want to raise it, often using ReplayGain to guide me. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Tricia. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

TheVagabond wrote: February 13th, 2018, 3:59 pm Hi Linny,

Recording of PUCCINI, LA BOHEME - altered by leveler set at 2.

I was uncertain myself about the volume of the first version, but the checker said it was OK. Not infallible it seems.

I gather that the leveler is to be used sparingly, but I now know a little more about it.

Tom
Hi Tom,
The Checker is actually what told me the volume was too low. Please make sure your setting are correct in the Checker. Validation>Choose Validation Methods>
Check marks should be on Technical Specifications, Wave Forms, and Background Noise.

I do have my Checker set to Validation>Strict.

I use the leveler for quick and easy. The compressor followed by amplification is generally what I use but there is a learning curve to it. I like this video for explaining it. The Audacity version is old but it's still close enough to get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c

Spot check PL OK! :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

DianaS wrote: February 12th, 2018, 4:40 pm Hi, here is section 29, The Barber of Seville time= 14:12.87

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storiesfromtheoperas_29_davidson_128kb.mp3
Diana, nicely done! PL OK :thumbs:
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Hi Linny, Tricia G,

Thanks for the advice and information about using Audacity and Checker - the settings on which I have changed now.

I should make some time just to mess around with these and see what happens on a test recording.

Tom
linny

Post by linny »

:thumbs: