Help! I can't find my book anywhere [FOUND]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:help: :help: :help:

I want to read "The Sharpshooter" by Joseph Altscheler, but I can't find the link to the text on Gutenberg or archive.org. What do I do?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Other sources for book scans are Google Books (use the advanced search) and HathiTrust. Google Books and Archive include books that are still under copyright in the US, so look for scans of texts published before 1923. Be sure you have the author's name spelled right in the search (Altsheler). Also look in story collections, if it's short enough to count as a short story instead of a novel. It's possible that this one just hasn't been scanned by anybody, if you're not able to find it in any of those places.
Laurie Anne
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I found a collection of short stories (https://books.google.com/books?id=DvSl5Qdi23EC) would I just post that link?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

No, that's a copyrighted 2007 edition. Try the advanced search looking for full texts published before 1923. https://books.google.com/advanced_book_search
Did you see any of his works on Gutenberg that you're interested in recording? That would probably be the easiest way for you to find something. (Google books aren't available to view in all countries, so we don't have a lot of texts from that source in our catalog.)
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Here are his books on Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/2561
Laurie Anne
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

This would be my first recording, and I would love to just do a short story, instead of one of his longer novels.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

That's great searching! I'm glad you found it! I agree that starting with a short story is easier than plunging straight into a novel.

Now, a couple of other things before you start :)
1. The scan you found doesn't actually show the title page with the copyright year. So to make things easier for us, would you kindly use this one as your source? https://archive.org/details/shortstoryclass00corpgoog (I was able to find this only because you'd already found the unz.org version.)
2. If the recording will be only 1 section under 70 minutes long, we would love you to include it with the current Short Story Collection ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68517 ). You don't have to start a new Launch Pad project; you can just record it (now that we know the source is OK) and submit it to that collection. Instructions on the intro/ending, file name, and uploader folder to use are in the first post of that thread. If the story turns out to be longer than 70 minutes long, you can split it into 2 sections, in which case it might still be able to go into the Short Story collection or it could become a standalone solo.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Laurie Anne
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

Thank you, I would be glad to use the archive.org copy. As long as it's legal (which I know it is) I will use it.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

OK, the version I found has a poorly scanned page (wrinkly and blurred). Try this one instead: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.235602

(Now I'll leave you alone to record...)
Laurie Anne
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

Well, I just use the link to the book for the new project post. I own all his books on my Kindle, so I just read off that.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Edmonds wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:13 am Well, I just use the link to the book for the new project post. I own all his books on my Kindle, so I just read off that.
LibriVox needs a source that is definitely in PD. If there are no differences to the version you have on your Kindle it is fine for me (I am not a lawyer though), than it is easier to read from that device. Any serious PL though will read from the archive link.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Edmonds wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:13 am Well, I just use the link to the book for the new project post. I own all his books on my Kindle, so I just read off that.
No, please read off the clearly-PD link you've been working on getting here. We do not know where your Kindle version came from or if it's the same exact text. What's the use of hunting up a PD text if you use a different one to record? :) That's the whole point of hunting up a PD text - to read from it knowing it's clearly PD.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

moniaqua wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:23 am
LibriVox needs a source that is definitely in PD. If there are no differences to the version you have on your Kindle it is fine for me (I am not a lawyer though), than it is easier to read from that device. Any serious PL though will read from the archive link.
PLs aren't required to read along while listening, so the reader must read from the text they submit as being clearly PD. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: February 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm PLs aren't required to read along
Yes, that's right; I just tend to do it to catch sentences that are left out :oops: But in any case the text has to be PD and so to match the PD-Source, I guess :)