length- 27:32

Thanks!
Corrinne LePage

~~LLAP~~
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you! :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Srirachabanana wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:16 pm Section 3 is ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/botany_03_gray_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
First, really excellent reading! It was a pleasure to listen to.

One technical note: The volume is too low, coming in at only 84.5dB. The LV target is 89dB with an acceptable range of 86-92dB. So, this will need some amplification to get it nearer the target.

The other potential issue is the handling of the figures and the reference to them. Usually we omit the parenthetical references to figures and illustrations that appear within the text, since these are meaningless to the listener who can't see them. Sometimes they need to be read to make the text flow, but in most of these they could just be omitted. Then, the descriptions or captions for figures, pictures, diagrams, photos, etc. are also usually omitted for the same reaon -- the listener just has no frame of reference for making sense of these

Our BC, Amy, hasn't actually specified how she wants these handled, so I will let her make the call They are quite extensive in this section and you did so well with them, and it would be a job to cut them out Let's see what she says.

Again, really excellent reading. Feel free to take another section. :)
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
It is okay if you keep them in there. This isn't rocket science. We can have some variation in how things are read. This text can be challenging in its setup. Srirachabanana, if you want edit any out the captions, please do, but it is okay if you don't. They can be interesting.
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Srirachabanana

Post by Srirachabanana »

Section 3 ready for PL!

length- 27:09

Thanks for the input guys, originally I had put the figures in because some sentences formed around them and I couldn't think how to avoid all of them because of that. So I just kept it consistent figuring it would be easier to delete them than insert them haha. I did take out some that I figured weren't needed and weren't a key element to a sentence. I have figured out how to check my volume so it should be good now!

Thanks!
Corrinne LePage

~~LLAP~~
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great! Thanks, Srirachabanana!
-Amy :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Yep, that's the issue where illustrations are such an integral part of the text. I'll listen to this again soon. I appreciate your working on this. Love your reading.

I see I haven't signed up for anything. So, you can put me in for The Seed, Section 17. And, if Section 15 becomes an orphan, I can take it as well. (I'm about ready to orphan his section in one of my projects. He is not responding to PMs).
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you for your work proof listening, Larry. I put you down for 15 and 17. It looks like Ruben has been awol since mid-December.
Cheers!
Amy :)
Srirachabanana

Post by Srirachabanana »

May I claim sections 18 and 19?
Corrinne LePage

~~LLAP~~
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Sure. 18 and 19 are yours.
Thanks!
Amy
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

Here is section 7...it is 33:00 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/botany_07_gray_128kb.mp3

Laurence
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you, Laurence! :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Srirachabanana wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:16 pm Section 3 is ready for PL!

Thanks!
I'm marking this PL OK now. The volume is still low, but within the acceptable range.
Thanks again for your fine reading. :clap:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

laurencetrask wrote: February 20th, 2018, 5:49 pm Here is section 7...it is 33:00 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/botany_07_gray_128kb.mp3

Laurence
I haven't listened to this yet.
The volume level is quite a bit higher than our range. Our target is 89 dB with a range of +- 3 and this comes in at 93.8 dB. When I open it in audacity, the wave form ranges from top to bottom with as much red spiking as normal blue, so there is a lot of distortion in the audio. I'm not a sound engineer, so I'm not sure what to suggest, but at lease the volume needs to come down. See what you can do, then I'll do the full proof.

I love your reading. !!
~ Larry
Zinkies

Post by Zinkies »

FYI I'm still with this! This is apparently how I do librivox: get nearly finished with a chapter our two and then have a MAJOR LIFE EVENT! How can I have so many of those and still be sane? I'm not sure I can 🤪. I have some time that looks open on Sunday, might be able to finish final edits.

Just checking in, hi y'all! Great work!

Note: I know there's been much discussion around how to handle the illustrations. I changed the structure and phrasing of some of the sentences to make the meaning come thru without mentioning them, the listener shouldn't notice, but it did require diverging from the text more than a word or two. When I do get them in, PL please let me know if any of it doesn't work, but I think it's tidy. ☺️

Cheers, y'all
--**--**--
Zinkies!
MacKenzie Nikol Greenwood

Soil enthusiast, word nerd.