COMPLETE [poetry] Farm Ballads by Will Carleton -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Can I also claim 17, 18, and 20? Sorry for the scattered replies, I feel like I'm spamming the channel.
I try to avoid voice cracks in my recordings.
To PLers- please correct sloppy pronunciation or weird slurring :/
FootPauler

Post by FootPauler »

Hi!
I’m new to librivox and have passed my 1 minute test so I think I'm ready to record. I would like to take sections 15,16,17, and 18.
If i'm not already in the catalog by the time this is read, I would like to appear in the catalog as Paul Aihe. Thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Walnut wrote: February 7th, 2018, 12:00 am Hi Carolin,
The pseudonym I'd like to use is Walnut. I don't have a personal blog or website.
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/farmballads_10_carleton_128kb.mp3
^ Link to the audio I've recorded. I'm not totally sure if the metadata is correct, sorry about that. Length is 3 min, 23 sec.
This is PL OK, Abigail.
While the background noise is within acceptable parameters, I think it might be improved by a little noise reduction.
Looking forward to your next readings.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Walnut wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:54 pm Hi,
I've PL'd section 13, if that is okay.
Everything sounds great! The silences at the beginning and end of the recording could both be extended by 1 second, they seem just a little short.
Thanks, Abigail.

I am puzzled, however, by your comments on the silences. How did you measure them, or is this just a guess? I'm very meticulous about this, although I'm perfectly capable of making a mistake. So, I checked my file again just to be sure. The beginning silence is about .75 seconds, which where I usually keep it. The only specification is that it not be LONGER than one second, so anything under that is fine. The ending silence is exactly the specified 5 seconds. The the standard is ~5 seconds. that is ABOUT five seconds, so there is some flexibility on both ends.

It was a fun little piece to do.
~ Larry
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I will take sections 21 & 23 if I may.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

FootPauler wrote: February 7th, 2018, 6:08 pm Hi!
I’m new to librivox and have passed my 1 minute test so I think I'm ready to record. I would like to take sections 15,16,17, and 18.
If i'm not already in the catalog by the time this is read, I would like to appear in the catalog as Paul Aihe. Thanks!
Hi and welcome to librivox!

I havs signed you up for sections 15 and 16, but the other two were claimed just before you posted. Can i offer you another two open sections instead? Thank you!
Carolin
FootPauler

Post by FootPauler »

thats fine. think ill just stick with 15 and 16 for now.
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

silverquill wrote: February 8th, 2018, 9:09 am
Walnut wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:54 pm Hi,
I've PL'd section 13, if that is okay.
Everything sounds great! The silences at the beginning and end of the recording could both be extended by 1 second, they seem just a little short.
Thanks, Abigail.

I am puzzled, however, by your comments on the silences. How did you measure them, or is this just a guess? I'm very meticulous about this, although I'm perfectly capable of making a mistake. So, I checked my file again just to be sure. The beginning silence is about .75 seconds, which where I usually keep it. The only specification is that it not be LONGER than one second, so anything under that is fine. The ending silence is exactly the specified 5 seconds. The the standard is ~5 seconds. that is ABOUT five seconds, so there is some flexibility on both ends.

It was a fun little piece to do.
Hi silverquill. I did measure the silences, and your measurements are pretty close to what mine were. I think the error is on my part, upon re-reading the PL guide, I realized that I misread the parts about the lengths of silences. I thought that the silence at the beginning should be no less than one second, and likewise for the silence at the end. That was my mistake, and I don't intend to repeat it. Thanks for catching me on this.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

That's okay, Abigail. There is a lot to get used to, and there is always something new to learn, and my forte is finding new ways to goof up. :roll: Glad to have you join the LV family. We all work together.
~ Larry
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/farmballads_17_carleton_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/farmballads_18_carleton_128kb.mp3

Recordings for 17 and 18. I tried to do more noise reduction on these, but I don't think I did it quite right because there seems to still be a noticeable amount of noise in the background. I've been following the Noise Reduction page on the Wiki, maybe I just need to repeat the process more times than I have?

I hope to get 20 out either tomorrow or next Monday.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Walnut wrote: February 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/farmballads_17_carleton_128kb.mp3

Recordings for 17 and 18. I tried to do more noise reduction on these, but I don't think I did it quite right because there seems to still be a noticeable amount of noise in the background. I've been following the Noise Reduction page on the Wiki, maybe I just need to repeat the process more times than I have?

What is the file length for these?
~ Larry
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

silverquill wrote: February 8th, 2018, 11:34 pm
Walnut wrote: February 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/farmballads_17_carleton_128kb.mp3

What is the file length for these?
I knew I was forgetting something! 17 is 1:25 and 18 is 1:21.
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

Hi!
Sections 2 & 3 - the Betseys
My user name in the forums is "rrobinson84" and I'd like to be listed as "Robert Robinson". I don't have a working web site I can refer to now, but if you can post an email for me, please use "librivox at chestnutbay.com" and I can have that forwarded to me.

Thanks!

Robert Robinson
Last edited by rrobinson84 on February 9th, 2018, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

rrobinson84 wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm Hi!
Sections 2 & 3 - the Betseys
My user name in the forums is "rrobinson84" and I'd like to be listed as "Robert Robinson". I don't have a working web site I can refer to now, but if you can post an email for me, please use "librivox at chestnutbay.com" and I can have that forwarded to me.

Thanks!

Robert Robinson
Excuse my intrusion here Robert, but it is advisable not to include email addresses in the open forums, they are open to 'harvesting' by net bots, etc.. (including your signature)
anyone wishing to contact you can do so via Private Messaging (PM), included in this forum. Click the text bubble under username on the right of the page. :wink:
(I've changed your email slightly in your above post)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!