How do you read the forum?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

With the influx of posters (which is brilliant - no complaints at all!) in the LibriVox forum, catching every single message becomes a full-time job. How do you keep up with what's going on?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

i?ve got a filter in my email-proggi that sorts out Librvox-Forum-Notations into its own folder. If it has a new mail in it, the librivox folder is in bold-type. Easily recognizable. So for every thread i once posted in i get notes for new posts. Thats efficient.

In addition to that i check the forum once or twice a day by sight for orange "new" items. I browse the orange new threads by interest.

Probably not often enough for you. :wink:
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I'm essentially logged in for every waking moment, so it's not that big a deal to keep up. The best trick is to get yourself a job where they actually pay you to surf the net. This actually IS part of my job description; it enables me to keep an eye on the corporate net connectivity so we can spot problems quickly and keep downtime to a minumum.

Of course it's not the ONLY thing they expect me to do at work... ;)

Yes, I view all of the threads. The only ones I don't read are the non-English ones, but that's more due to lack of ability than to lack of interest. Even those I can't read I click on and view.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Gesine wrote:With the influx of posters (which is brilliant - no complaints at all!) in the LibriVox forum, catching every single message becomes a full-time job. How do you keep up with what's going on?
Okay, I'll be the one that admits to being a bad guy.

I only read a few of the forums. Introduce Yourself, Readers Wanted, Readers Found, Completed Projects, Volunteers Wanted, Suggestions.

Within those, I read very few threads. Readers Wanted -- just the books I'm already signed up for, plus the orphans thread, plus if another book turns up I ABSOLUTELY MUST add to the ones I'm participating in. Readers Found, Completed Projects -- just the ones I'm signed up for. Volunteers Wanted, Suggestions -- just things that seem particularly interesting to me. Once I've covered these things, I mark everything as read.

It's a pretty brutal approach but the alternative was never coming to the forum at all because of the daunting task of getting through it in very limited time.

-R
[url=http://www.pendantaudio.com/bios/rfrancis.html]me[/url]
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

ChipDoc wrote:The only ones I don't read are the non-English ones, but that's more due to lack of ability than to lack of interest.
I've actually read some of the Germean ones, though I have pretty much absolute zero comprehension of the language. Don't ask me why I've done that, either, beacuse I would be hard-pressed to explain it. An old girlfriend of mine in Los Angeles used to get really bugged at me when I would watch an hour-long Spanish broadcast on the TV, too. She would say, "You don't understand Spanish, why listen to it for so long?" I had no ready answer for that, either.

What would you expect from someone who is known to hold conversations (out loud) with himself and yet doesn't live under a highway overpass?

:lol:
rfrancis wrote:Okay, I'll be the one that admits to being a bad guy.
I've only been involved with LibriVox for about five weeks. It seems much longer than that but in a good way. Since I registered on this forum, the number of registered users has almost doubled. I told someone on the management here that they should be prepared, because it was likely that this place would go nuclear.

As the population grows, exponentially so grows the number of postings. Unless you are perpetually connected like Chip is, there are not enough hours in the day to read every single thing.

Even this posting that I'm making now will not get read by everyone here. And those that do read it will likely be distracted from a more important question that I've asked in another topical area.

There are no good guys, there are no bad guys, there's only you and me... wait! That's a song! And it's not in the public domain! Sorry...

It's like reading a newspaper, you blow past the parts you're not interested in (like the Political Opinion Page) and zero in on those that you are interested in (like the Comics Page).
[size=92]http://climber53.com
[i]a one thin dime production[/i][/size]
[size=75][color=blue]-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-[/color]
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/RobertGarrison]project status is in the wiki[/url][/size]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Like Chip, I'm usually looking at the forums on and off all day so that new stuff is pretty easy to keep up with... however, if i sleep and come back there is usually a full set of orange flags, and this is what I do:

After visiting the secret underground Admin lair muhahaha, I pop in to the Forums that I suspect will either hold little interest for me or will require the least amount of effort and usually have the least amount of new posts (like the Forums in the Help/Discussion and New Here areas) ... I either read the new threads or if they are not threads I'm following, I click "Mark all topics read" (a handy little link at the top right of the list of posts)... because it really bothers me to see orange flags ... it's just an OCD thing, i guess.

... then.... I get into the Project posts... and since I'm lucky enough to have my initials in some of the subject lines, I just scan for my initials and look at those first and then look in on any projects that I've contributed on ... and then I click "Mark all topics read" again.... usually though, there are some random PMs that I need to send, read, and respond to so that gets intermingled with email and other PG projects that I'm working on...

and then, if I'm REALLY lucky, I get to actually do some recording or editing... whew...
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

I pretty much read all posts, with a few exceptions. In the readers wanted: books forum, I only generally read threads that I've contributed to, or am interested in. There are times when I'm in a rush, and click Mark all as Read more often, but that's rare. I have tons of time on my hands at this point in my life, and spend too much of it online :)
vee

Post by vee »

I can usually only get to about half the messages. Beyond that my brain explodes. :?: Plus, it seems that when I move from computer to computer, the forum automatically marks everything as read.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

i'm down to scanning discussion, need help, & introduce yourself, as well as my languishing BC projects!
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

I don't begin to keep up. I don't know how you guys tolerate me.

:twisted:
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

pberinstein wrote:I don't begin to keep up. I don't know how you guys tolerate me.
*huggles Paula* ... we couldn't live without you =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Aw, thanks, Betsie. The feeling is mutual.
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I make liberal use of the "View Posts Since Last Visit" link at the top of the forum home page. Then I scan the list of posts to see if there's anything interesting.

I also sign up for e-mail notifications to books I'm involved in, via "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the topic page.

That gives me more than enough to read, but I'm sure I miss out on a lot of interesting conversations.
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]