[COMPLETE] King Lear by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The Tragedy of King Lear by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

This project is now complete!
All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-tragedy-of-king-lear-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/

Known for its heartrending emotion and shocking violence, <i>The Tragedy of King Lear</i> is seen as one of Shakespeare's towering masterpieces. It tells the tale of the ageing King Lear, a British monarch who disposes of his vast kingdom by giving bequests to his two eldest daughters when they flatter his vanity. Unbeknown to him, these daughters hide cold and unfeeling hearts; the only daughter truly worthy of his grace, Cordelia, is shunned and later exiled when she refuses to play her sisters' game. Lear's rash decision precipitates a series of events that all cascade into the realm of overbearing misery. Madness (both real and feigned), torture, stormy weather, sibling rivalry and the threat of war are but some of the things you can expect from this extraordinary work, all brought about by a great man who falls from the heights of power due to a single moment of irrationality.<br><br>And to perform it all? Three men (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/9905">Brad "Hamlet" Filippone</a>) and one woman (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a>), determined to give you a performance of this moving play that you will never forget. You thought you knew your Shakespeare? Well, think again! ( Tomas Peter)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1532
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of The Tragedy of King Lear, by William Shakespeare. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      kinglear_[role]_[#_#].mp3 (all lower-case) where the first # is the act number and the second # is the scene number (e.g. kinglear_cornwall_1_5.mp3).

For the final acts, save files as: kinglear_[#]_shakespeare_128kb, where the # is the act number (e.g. kinglear_1_shakespeare_128kb).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

what ! you posted already tonight ! It's a bit late now, but I try if I am still awake enough to give you a MW ....

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: February 5th, 2018, 5:15 pm what ! you posted already tonight ! It's a bit late now, but I try if I am still awake enough to give you a MW ....
Yeah, sorry Sonia, I was going to do it earlier but I had a dental appointment, and when I got home the Internet was misbehaving itself. :| It took me half an hour to get it going again. Well, on the bright side, when you wake up we'll have the MW all ready to go. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok it worked :) by tomorrow I want a fully filled-in MW :mrgreen:

Can you please also PM Craig and Brad to let them know ? I will sleep now... need to get up in less than 5 hours :help:
edit: I see you were faster than me LOL

BTW this should be King Lear Version 3, we probably need to write that in the title and links somehow :hmm:

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Yes, I've notified them. :)

I guess you can append "(version 3)" to the title yourself, now or before we catalog. The links don't need to be changed because I do know the month and year of cataloging are used when submitting to Archive, to differentiate between versions. So in that respect we should be fine.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

good point.

Since we are already complete, I can move us over to Readers Found immediately.

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi
Thanks for the thumbs up.
Cheers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello your majesty. Good to see you. Ready to play the madman ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

So, as the Narrator, do you just want my bland regular voice with no emotion? Well, not that I normally speak with no emotions.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 6th, 2018, 8:21 amSo, as the Narrator, do you just want my bland regular voice with no emotion? Well, not that I normally speak with no emotions.
no, you can have emotion of course ! Well, as much as the situation asks for ;) Just try to make a more neutral voice, compared to your other characters. But the narrator will not be too intrusive and usually one will notice that it's not one of the characters speaking. And in the editing phase, we'll make sure that there will be a nice little pause between your character's final line and the inevitable [Exit] whic may come after. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Okay, I'll start to work on the narration first, since it's going to be the biggest job.

As Albany and Kent I have the third and second to last speeches in the play--and one of those is interrupted by a stage direction, so there'll be three of me in a short space! lol I'm sure there are other places like that too, but that's the one I noticed right away.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:18 am Okay, I'll start to work on the narration first, since it's going to be the biggest job.
yes, always good to have that out of the way.
As Albany and Kent I have the third and second to last speeches in the play--and one of those is interrupted by a stage direction, so there'll be three of me in a short space! lol I'm sure there are other places like that too, but that's the one I noticed right away
I have two scenes at least where I will be in a long dialogue with myself as Regan and Oswald :lol: Well at least I can be a woman and a man, so the voices will be very different there.

Good luck !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Another silly-sounding question. I'm new to reading the stage directions in a LibriVox project, so these little unimportant things keep occurring to me, lol.

If two stage directions in a row are identical (such as in the very first scene, in which Cordelia gets two asides in a row) do you still want me to say it twice? Or can the editor just use the same one over? No matter either way, since I'm not exactly "wasting" much time in saying one word lol.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:29 am If two stage directions in a row are identical (such as in the very first scene, in which Cordelia gets two asides in a row) do you still want me to say it twice? Or can the editor just use the same one over? No matter either way, since I'm not exactly "wasting" much time in saying one word lol.
oh no, please say them twice (or ten times if needs be) everywhere where they occur. The editor's job is hard enough as it is, copy/pasting from all places to find back where a certain word was said before would be very time consuming.

Oh so you never read stage directions ? Then maybe you don't know this:

when you say the stage direction at the beginning of a character's speech, please say the character's name as well. Example: Cordelia [walking to the door]: "Good-bye then". Here you would say Cordelia as well. While in this example: Cordelia: Good-bye then. [Walks out], you would leave the name out, as the audience knows who was speaking before. Does this make sense ? :hmm:

Maybe if you finish one scene, you can post it already and I can give you feedback if all is well ?

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Actually, I didn't know that. And I just finished reading the first act stage directions! lol No worries, I just looked through the act again and I see only five instances that I have to correct. Two of them happen to be the "Cordelia aside" that I mentioned in my last message. Besides that, I have "Gloucestor reads," "Fool to Kent," and "Lear to Goneril." I'll have that first file for you in about half an hour.

Brad