[COMP]The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Hi David,
I was hoping by sticking with the original text and providing guidance on how to access it that maybe Helen would be interesting in staying on.

I can certainly PL until a DPL is found but my schedule right now doesn’t really permit another DPL commitment.
thekeymaster123

Post by thekeymaster123 »

Hello, I'm just starting and would be willing to listen to the sections, if you still need any help on this reading. As I said I'm new so I hope this is the way to start, by jumping in to help. Thanks Tim Head.
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Thanks for helping to sort out the confusion.
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

DPL, I'm back. :D

Last edited by HZFerr on February 7th, 2018, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

thekeymaster123 wrote: February 5th, 2018, 7:26 pm Hello, I'm just starting and would be willing to listen to the sections, if you still need any help on this reading. As I said I'm new so I hope this is the way to start, by jumping in to help. Thanks Tim Head.
Tim,

Thank you for the offer, however, the original DPL has returned.

David O
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Thank you Helen. It'll take a little while to rework the intros and such, and to work out to split up the longest section (s), but I'm on it, and I hope not to cause any future confusions! (Just to let you know, there a couple of places where the transcribers of the text I'm using have simply left a blank where presumably they couldn't decipher a word in their original, but the 1818 publication has a word there which makes entire sense in the context - so far, just two cases, a "these" and an "until").
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Tim, as this is "standard" there should not be any problems. Text will only be used as a reference
if something is repeated or seems out of place.
Helen

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Happy Valentine's day
Helen

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Back on track, I hope. I have now uploaded a revised file for Section 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/courtandcharacterofkingjames_01_anthony_128kb.mp3
Duration 3:49

The bulk of the publication is Section 2, on King James's court. As a single text it comes at around 2 hrs. 30, so I propose to split it up into 7 parts where there seem to be natural breaks between the different episodes he's recounting. The longest part would then be about 26 minutes:

1: From the start to p. 25 of the transcription (end at "Spanish gold") covering the accession and initial manoeuvrings of office-holders and ambassadors
2: p.25 "The King was a peaceable and merciful Prince" to p.46 "and that a Dutch ship", covering Raleigh's trial for treason, and sending ambassadors to Spain, and how James's ambassador revealed Spanish thievery<br/>
3: p.46 "Now did these great Mannagers of State" to p. 70 "but these two Murtherers", covering the rise of Carr (Somerset) and the murder of Overbury
4: p.70 "Now was all (as they beleeved)" to p.98 "not knowing of each other", covering the unravelling of the plot against Overbury and the arrest of the conspirators
5: p. 98 "Now are in hold" to p.124 "as he would alter any thing the other did", covering the trial and fate of the conspirators against Overbury (together with assorted salacious details - rather more salacious than I would have anticipated), and the rise of Villiers (Buckingham) and Bacon
6: p.124 "And now Buckingham having" to p.149 "that Padro Macestria had formerly told the King", covering the fall of Bacon, Buckingham's over-presumption, his falling out with the King and his shift in loyalties towards the heir (Prince Charles), and also Prince Charles's unauthorised trip to Spain to look for a wife
7: p.149 "And now to returne from this digression" to the end, covering the recriminations following the failure of Charles's adventure, and the death of King James.

It also looks to me as though the section "The court of King Charles" could well turn out to be nearer 40 minutes in all, so I propose to split that into two parts:

1: from p. 176 to p.194 "never to call more Parliaments"
2: p.194 "Forreign forces" to the end.

Obviously the author imagined his reader(s) would know who the people were that he's talking about, so I'll need to expand the summary note with some of those details.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 1 Title, dedication and introduction
PL OK
Patrick :thumbs:
Helen

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Thanks. We're up and running...
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Helen, it occurs to me that it might be helpful to have some background information on the names he throws around on the assumption his readers will know who he's talking about. I've done some quick checking around, and I'm proposing to put into the catalogue entry something like this in relation to Section 2:
This text, known as the source for the summing up of James I as "the wisest fool in Christendom", gives us an insider's partisan account of (as Weldon puts it)
"the foulest secret Crimes
Discover'd, with their Authors: Tricks of State
To create guilty soules, the Peoples hate,
The Prince's feares: Favourites Rise and Fall,
Greatnesse debauched, Gentry slighted all
To please those Favourites, whose highest ends
Were to exhaust the State, to please their friends."

Here are the details of how Sir Robert Mansell flouted diplomatic niceties to retrieve his jewelled hat, how and why Sir Walter Raleigh was condemned to death, the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury, and some salaciously Puritan-shocking licentiousness (including a gynaecological deception to enable an annulment of marriage, and a servant's unusual method of beating time), as well as the young Prince Charles's unauthorised and semi-incognito venture to the Spanish court in search of a wife. (Curiously, perhaps, there is no mention of the Gunpowder Plot, which is perhaps the one event of this time most often remembered to this day).

Through the years of James's reign (1603-1625), Weldon recounts:
- the continuation in office of Elizabeth's minister Robert Cecil (Earl of Salisbury), the hangover of old resentments from the time of the former Earl of Essex's rebellion in the last years of her reign and the presence in court of Essex's former associates, such as the Earl of Southampton
- the jockeying for position between the English elite and those brought by James from his Scottish court
- the rise, intrigues and fall of favourites, courtiers and ministers such as James Hay (Earl of Carlisle), Henry Howard (Earl of Northampton), his nephew Thomas (Earl of Suffolk), great-nephew Thomas (Earl of Arundel) and daughter Frances (who married first the young Earl of Essex), Robert Carr (Earl of Somerset, whose scandalous involvement and marriage with Frances Howard led to their both being charged with the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury), Francis Bacon (Lord Chancellor) and George Villiers (Duke of Buckingham), together with a cast of lesser characters
- the suspicion that James's elder son Prince Henry died by poisoning (nowadays believed to be the result of typhoid)
- the marriage of James's daughter Princess Elizabeth to the "Palsgrave" (Elector Palatine Frederick of the Rhine, whose acceptance of the throne of Bohemia was a challenge to - and led to defeat and permanent exile at the hands of - the Hapsburg Holy Roman Emperor: and was a stepping-stone into the Thirty Years' War)
- the recriminations following Prince Charles's private adventure to Spain, and James's withdrawal of favour from Buckingham as he shifted allegiance from James to his heir

all within the context of the diplomatic manoeuvrings by which James sought to maintain peace with Spain, and avoid other continental entanglements.
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Section 2 Part 3 is up - 22:22