COMPLETE: Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans by J.P. MacLean - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans by John Patterson MacLean (1848 - 1939).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page.

https://librivox.org/selected-poetry-on-or-about-the-macleans-by-john-patterson-maclean/
"Gifted with poesy as are the Highlanders, and given to the praise of their country and their leaders, it would be expected that many poems would still be extant concerning the MacLeans and their ancestral dominions," wrote John Patterson MacLean in his "A History of the Clan MacLean," These selections, collected and arranged by J.P. Maclean comprise part of Note C of MacLean's treatise (pp. 406-452), although they were written by different authors for different reasons. Dealing with incidents experienced by the MacLeans throughout their long history this highland poetry reveals, in ways the historical narrative cannot, the feeling behind the actions of the MacLeans and the reactions to their activities. ( DrPGould)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/historyofclanmac00macluoft#page/n417/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: highland poetry, macleans, maclaines

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of the each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of each recording!
    START of first recording (Intro):
    • "Introduction to Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans, compiled by John Patterson MacLean. [Introduction]"

END of first recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Introduction]"
    • If you wish, say:

For the second and all subsequent sections, the shortened form of this intro disclaimer for poetry will be used:
      • "Poem by Author. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]"
      • If you wish, add:
        "[location, your personal URL, etc]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Poem]" This recording is in the Public Domain.
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans, compiled by John Patterson MacLean. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

THE POEMS
      • No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by James Whitcomb Riley, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • Example filename selectedpoetry_##_maclean_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. selectedpoetry_01_maclean_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
      Artist: John Patterson MacLean
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Selected Poetry on or about the MacLeans

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by DrPGould on February 4th, 2018, 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Welcome to the Project. I am seeking an MC and a DPL to help me complete this appendix to J.P. Maclean's A History of the Clan MacLean. (This is a work of almost 500 pages and includes a textual narrative as well as this appendix which is all poetry). This project is personal, my mother's family is affiliated with the MacLaine's of Lochbuie--just one of about 6 Highland Clans from the same family.

I expect to complete this project reasonably quickly, as many of these pieces are under 10 minutes in length. Two of these pieces will go around 50 minutes and are sectioned, but for the time being, I am choosing to read them as one.

The most difficult is the introduction which contains Scots Gaelic which I do not speak, but I have managed to find adequate resources on the web the enable me to stumble through it phonetically. If there is a Librivoxer with knowledge of Scots Gaelic, I would appreciate any assistance that you could provide.

Thank you for viewing this board.

Philip
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be honored to serve as DPL.

I wonder if our clans have crossed. I do have the family tree somewhere. My maternal grandmother was a McFarland and married a McNeil. I have not been able to visit Scotland, but did have opportunity to visit Blackpool, England, and find the street where my wife's paternal grandfather was born.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye one this one.
Let me know if I can help.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll set this up for you, Philip. No Scots in my family tree, but there are some in my husband's family. :)

Please note my suggestion for shortening the filenames.
Jo
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks so much, Jo and Larry. My mother's family name is actually McSpadden (with several variant spellings), but they were on the list of affiliated families with the McClaine's of Lochbuie. I applied for membership and they readily accepted. I know that there were several MacNeils in the area--and possibly there was an intermarriage, and I'm not sure but what McFarland isn't also an affiliated family (McFayden is). It'll likely be in the narrative text when I get around to reading it.

I've already got on my planning board to BC the play by Joanna Baillie that is at the end of note C, and I'm planning to read the narrative as a solo later in the year...but I thought I'd get this out there first.

Jo--thanks for setting up the MW. (Sorry I can't count).

Many thanks,

Philip

PS Larry--looks like your Catharine de Bora project filled up while I was a project for the surgeon. If something orphans, I'll be happy to read it.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Jo:

Something else I forgot to do. JP MacLean is the author of the work and the person who selected and arranged the poetry. Each poem has a different author. So what I intended to do was to use the Poetry Intro for all but the first section of the project [Name of Poem] by [Author], read for Librivox.Org by Philip Gould

And end with "End of Poem. This recording is in the public domain." I didn't find the place where this intro/outro could be, so I cut and pasted it into the first post from another project for which I am currently reading.

For the first section, I will use the intro as specified in the first post.

I appreciate your shortening of the file names as well.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Larry:

A couple of things (1) I am not going to proceed through these poems in order. (2) I'm planning to omit the head notes before each poem, but will read the Title and author information. (3) Since these have all been translated into English, I'm going to be sticking with English pronunciation EXCEPT when the English pronunciation is "strange" i.e. I'm about to post Section 9 entitled "Inch Kenneth" (It's a small island off the W. Coast of Scotland.) I have used the Gaelic (Innis Choinnich) in this Section...
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Section 9 is in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DrPGould wrote: February 4th, 2018, 5:06 pm Section 9 is in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
PL OK

I've read all your notes. Looking forward to listening to the rest of the poems.
~ Larry
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks so much, Larry. There will probably be another thing or two that comes up as we go along...but I'm trying to avoid any surprises. I appreciate your PL.

Philip
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I've edited the disclaimers in the first post to reflect what you plan to say. You can fix it if I didn't get it quite right. Meanwhile, I will move this thread to Going Solo. :)
Jo
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, again, Jo.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sections 2 & 10 are in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Larry:

Sections 12 and 16 are in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

All are PL OK, Charlie......
~ Larry