COMPLETE[GROUP]The Pirate Woman by Captain Dingle - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Pirate Woman by Aylward Edward Dingle (1874 - 1947).

Within his mysterious stronghold, "The Cave of Terrible Things," on the Maroon coast of Jamaica, washed by the waters of the Caribbean Sea, Red Jabez, Sultan of Pirates, had just died. Dolores, his daughter, "a splendidly lithe, glowing creature of beauty and passion," "a royal woman conscious of mental and physical perfection," succeeded her father as tyrant over the motley crew. Moved to mutiny by Rufe, the Spaniard, the pirates had risen in revolt to loot the rich treasure of the dead Sultan's cave; but supported by Milo, Dolores had cowed them, no less by her dagger than her threats. (The Book)
  • Avast! I was looking for a play about a lady pirate with a chilling make-them-walk-the-plank scene and guess what? This is perfect. Except that it is a book, not a play. Ah well, I could not resist. Pulp fiction, serialized in 1918 in "All-Story Weekly".

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-pirate-woman-by-aylward-edward-dingle/

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30057
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: ScT9qPfq
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Aylward Edward Dingle) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Dingle
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1918
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: pirates, treasure, pulp fiction, serial

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Pirate Woman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Pirate Woman, by Aylward Edward Dingle. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Pirate Woman, by Aylward Edward Dingle. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      piratewoman_##_dingle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. piratewoman_01_dingle_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      Tags are not required
      Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
    Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: I just read your intro, Todd...this seems to be quite a cliché swashbuckler/pirate romance novel. Picture Anthony Quinn, Erroll Flynn and Maureen O'Hara :mrgreen:

Ok, I need to have a grab at it. Sign me up for chapter 1. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 6:20 am :lol: I just read your intro, Todd...this seems to be quite a cliché swashbuckler/pirate romance novel. Picture Anthony Quinn, Erroll Flynn and Maureen O'Hara :mrgreen:

Ok, I need to have a grab at it. Sign me up for chapter 1. :)

Sonia
Welcome, and have you seen the book cover in the Gutenberg text? This entire project is in your honor!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 6:25 amWelcome, and have you seen the book cover in the Gutenberg text? This entire project is in your honor!
it is ? :oops: oh...

but I look nowhere like that woman :lol: I am curious if there will be a plank-walking scene :mrgreen: Actually for that I should probably be DPL and read it all. I can do that, if you'd have the time to check my own section(s).

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

It would be wonderful to have you as DPL!

(Prospective readers: in case you do not know, over in the Dramatic Works forum Sonia is known for the fastest and most encouraging DPL feedback around. But watch out if your character has a role at odds with hers: "Killer Kitty" comes out! Do not turn your back....)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 7:01 am(Prospective readers: in case you do not know, over in the Dramatic Works forum Sonia is known for the fastest and most encouraging DPL feedback around. But watch out if your character has a role at odds with hers: "Killer Kitty" comes out! Do not turn your back....)
Disclaimer: my nickname "Killer Kitty" has been coined by some shady people over in the drama forum who wholly deserved what was coming to them (rumours that I was garrotting anyone are only fake news - it was only a mild throttling, really).

That should put my reputation right again. :mrgreen:

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Chapter 8 to me, please :lol: And 20, Decisions are great
Kitty wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:22 am (rumours that I was garrotting anyone are only fake news - it was only a mild throttling, really)
Oh, Teague comes out again :shock:
Teague wrote:Hanged! dat is nothing, dear joy:—we are used to't.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote:Chapter 8 to me, please :lol: And 20, Decisions are great
ah the first of my female pirate crew has arrived :) Thanks Monika, I'm looking forward to listening to your chapters.

I notice I may not be reading this book in the correct order :lol:
Oh, Teague comes out again :shock:
Hanged! dat is nothing, dear joy:—we are used to't.
:lol: you seem to pick 'em

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, for when you return home, here is the first chapter. It was great fun, I haven't read such pulp in ages :mrgreen: And the aptly named Dolores (which means "sorrow, pain") doesn't need a plank to drive her men into the ocean. I quote from the first chapter:
Not a man could ever forget the offending slave whom she had thrashed with her own hands, disdaining assistance, until the wretch tore loose and fled screaming to the cliff to pitch headlong into the shark-infested sea; nor could they forget her unhesitating dive and terrific struggle to recover him and her completion of the interrupted punishment when she had brought him back.
Have fun !

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_01_dingle_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 15:07 min.

And please, if I do mispronounce anything, please tell me, I do want to improve my English (no, I am not perfect).

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Disclaimer: my nickname "Killer Kitty" has been coined by some shady people over in the drama forum who wholly deserved what was coming to them (rumours that I was garrotting anyone are only fake news - it was only a mild throttling, really)."

I just want to say, I deny everything, I wasn't there, can't prove nuthin'. :mrgreen:

"but I look nowhere like that woman."

True. That woman is brunette, not blonde. Plus her dress sense is too subdued, and she needs to jeuje up her accessorising. Perhaps you could hook her up with something from your "Tropical Kit" label, Sonia? (Available from The Honorable Mrs. Gaylustre, Seamstress to the Stars).

I hear the sound of a Pirate-Queen's cutlass being sharpened, so I just want to say ... seriously, mind you, and I know I speak for Todd here, too ... they don't come nicer at Librivox than Sonia. Tireless, ever helpful, and super-nice. Stick around for a bit, and you'll soon be saying the same thing.

Now that I've totally embarrassed her and made her blush, I'll retire in low dudgeon. I can't make high dudgeon, not on this 1918 gasoline, I can't.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 8:25 pm I hear the sound of a Pirate-Queen's cutlass being sharpened, so I just want to say ... seriously, mind you, and I know I speak for Todd here, too ... they don't come nicer at Librivox than Sonia. Tireless, ever helpful, and super-nice. Stick around for a bit, and you'll soon be saying the same thing.

Now that I've totally embarrassed her and made her blush, I'll retire in low dudgeon. I can't make high dudgeon, not on this 1918 gasoline, I can't.
:lol: thank you for defending my honour at least, Chris (for once). Cutlasses are back in the sheath (for now).

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 5:23 pm Todd, for when you return home, here is the first chapter. It was great fun, I haven't read such pulp in ages :mrgreen: And the aptly named Dolores (which means "sorrow, pain") doesn't need a plank to drive her men into the ocean. I quote from the first chapter:
Not a man could ever forget the offending slave whom she had thrashed with her own hands, disdaining assistance, until the wretch tore loose and fled screaming to the cliff to pitch headlong into the shark-infested sea; nor could they forget her unhesitating dive and terrific struggle to recover him and her completion of the interrupted punishment when she had brought him back.
Have fun !

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_01_dingle_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 15:07 min.

And please, if I do mispronounce anything, please tell me, I do want to improve my English (no, I am not perfect).

Sonia
Ah, what a great start to the story! Perfect. PL OK! Can't wait to hear more!

I am sure that a number of other readers will pronounce "Jabez" as "jah-bez" in their sections instead of the Spanish "Hah-bez" (with the "H" more than an "H" sound) you used. I don't care one way or the other - and I certainly would not tell Dolores if I did.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 4th, 2018, 11:58 amI am sure that a number of other readers will pronounce "Jabez" as "jah-bez" in their sections instead of the Spanish "Hah-bez" (with the "H" more than an "H" sound) you used. I don't care one way or the other - and I certainly would not tell Dolores if I did.
:mrgreen: yes I wasn't sure about the name, but figured he was Spanish, so I opted for that pronunciation. I'm not even sure he will show up often later on, since he seems on the point of kicking the bucket.

Thanks for the quick PL :9:

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

May I claim Section 4?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

DrPGould wrote: February 4th, 2018, 12:35 pm Todd:

May I claim Section 4?

Many thanks,

Philip
Thanks.

Todd