Howdy from Montana!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
kimgibbs

Post by kimgibbs »

Hello!

My name is Kim Gibbs and I'm excited to begin recording with Librivox.

I do some fun things with reading every week. On Tuesdays I dress up like a pirate - Captain Hooked on Books - and do a story time for preschoolers at the library. On Wednesdays I read articles from "Good Old Days" magazine to senior citizens.

I've had a little bit of recording experience including reading children's books on the radio. For recording with Librivox, I've created a cozy recording spot in my home using an upside-down card table and blankets!

As suggested, I'd like to start with some shorter pieces, and the ones I really like are written by men, like A Cowboy Life by Frank Benton, or Farm Ballads by Will Carleton. Would it be weird for me as a woman to read these pieces that are obviously written by men?

Also, I see you have a lot of poetry written by Australians - again does it break any unwritten rule to read these selections with an American accent? I know it's not as authentic, but my Aussie accent is poor and I really love the poems!

I'm looking forward to some fun recording!

Kim Gibbs
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Kim :)
kimgibbs wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am Would it be weird for me as a woman to read these pieces that are obviously written by men?
Eh, no, why should it be? I know a lot of stuff written by men in the role of a woman, so why should you prevent from reading poems written by men?
kimgibbs wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am again does it break any unwritten rule to read these selections with an American accent?
If it did, I'd need to stop reading in English at once, as I have a terrible German-Bavarian accent ;)
kimgibbs wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am I really love the poems!
That is the important thing! :)

Have fun reading, no matter if the author was Australian, man, parrot or some alien ;)
kimgibbs

Post by kimgibbs »

Alright, great! Then I'm going to dive in!

Thanks for your help.

Kim