COMPLETE[PLAY]The Twin-Rivals by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: February 1st, 2018, 8:10 am Would like to take on the role(s) of footman, who appear(s) in acts 1, 2, 3, and 5, if I am so permitted.
thanks so much for giving this project another boost, Roger :9: your job appliance for footman has been accepted (but please take off the cowboy hat when you show up at your new workplace :mrgreen: )

Sonia
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Hi!

I would love to play Captain Trueman! This would be my first recording with Librivox (I would like to be credited as Tyler Hulegaard) I can send some test audio if that is necessary! I am a somewhat experienced actor and theatre student, and excited to help make historical theatre more accessible for everyone.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FlameyFlame wrote: February 1st, 2018, 2:07 pm Hi!

I would love to play Captain Trueman! This would be my first recording with Librivox (I would like to be credited as Tyler Hulegaard) I can send some test audio if that is necessary! I am a somewhat experienced actor and theatre student, and excited to help make historical theatre more accessible for everyone.
Hi Tyler, welcome to the drama forum :) "experienced actor" sounds already very promising. However it would still be good to make a one-minute-test, even if you are used to recording. Every set-up is different and at LibriVox we want some specific settings for the audio, like 128 kbps, 44,100 Hz, MONO, not Stereo (which many do wrong first).
Can you get your recording program set up according to this and upload a quick one-minute test and post it here: viewforum.php?f=21
Simply create a new thread and someone will come along shortly and give you feedback (if you're quick, it will be me LOL)

I can hold the role of Trueman for you in the meantime. Once the test is ok, you need to give me a name which you want as your reader name (Tyler Hulegaard ?). Then I can create a reader page for you and you're all set to go.

Great to have you on board !

Sonia
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Kitty wrote: February 1st, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlameyFlame wrote: February 1st, 2018, 2:07 pm Hi!

Hi Tyler, welcome to the drama forum :) "experienced actor" sounds already very promising. However it would still be good to make a one-minute-test, even if you are used to recording. Every set-up is different and at LibriVox we want some specific settings for the audio, like 128 kbps, 44,100 Hz, MONO, not Stereo (which many do wrong first).
Can you get your recording program set up according to this and upload a quick one-minute test and post it here: viewforum.php?f=21
Simply create a new thread and someone will come along shortly and give you feedback (if you're quick, it will be me LOL)

I can hold the role of Trueman for you in the meantime. Once the test is ok, you need to give me a name which you want as your reader name (Tyler Hulegaard ?). Then I can create a reader page for you and you're all set to go.

Great to have you on board !

Sonia
Thanks Kitty I was just getting around to that. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69076

Yes I would like to be credited as my real name for Lib recordings which is Tyler Hulegaard.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right Tyler, you're all set up, here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12240
there you can see all your assignements and the projects you have participated in. For the moment only the Twin Rivals, but hopefully more as time progresses. :)
Under "Reader Section details" you can see which sections are still outstanding and which have PL notes to deal with. So you can keep track what you still have to do ;)

Now for this play: please do one file for each act. Between each of your "speech chunks" (so whenever someone else speaks) leave out at least 2 seconds of silence. This is important for our editor who needs to cut and paste each of our speeches into a masterfile. It's easier if he has enough room to fiddle with. So even if there are stage directions in the middle of one of your sentences, like [goes to the door] leave two seconds in the middle of that sentence, otherwise we can never get the stage directions pasted in accurately in your speech.

Then we need a voice credit at the beginning of your file, in your case please say: "Captain Trueman, his Nephew, and friend to Hermes Wouldbe, read by Tyler Hulegaard".

Other than that, just be outgoing, read a bit up on your character, how you want to portray him and how you will react to the others around you and be as dramatic as possible. :9: Judging from your one-minute-test I have the feeling that will not be a problem for you. :mrgreen:

Good luck and if you have any questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome aboard.

And thank you, Sonia, for handling all the welcome!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:20 pm And thank you, Sonia, for handling all the welcome!
I'm happy to help, didn't know you would be logging in so soon after me.

Tyler: meet Todd, the real boss of the project (I'm just the deputy :mrgreen: )

Sonia
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:20 pm Welcome aboard.
Happy to be here! I'll start doing some research on the play this weekend and should be able to get some recordings done fairly quickly. Let me know if you have any notes or thoughts on what you want from this character before I get started. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FlameyFlame wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:43 pm Happy to be here! I'll start doing some research on the play this weekend and should be able to get some recordings done fairly quickly. Let me know if you have any notes or thoughts on what you want from this character before I get started. :)
well usually the character creation is left entirely to the reader :) Let me say, Trueman is the friend of the "nice twin", so he seems to be an upstanding citizen too. So if you could harness your inner ruffian for this part, that would be a bonus. :lol: But other than that, the way I go about is simply read through the play or scene I am in and imagine how I would react to those around me. And then simply let loose and act it out.

Looking forward to your contribution. How about you record one act and I can give you feedback on that before you proceed ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:34 pm
ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:20 pm And thank you, Sonia, for handling all the welcome!

Sonia
Don't believe her that I'm the boss. And DON'T ever turn your back on her - I'm currently looking up "woman pirate plays" to try and channel her aggression!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:53 pmDon't believe her that I'm the boss. And DON'T ever turn your back on her - I'm currently looking up "woman pirate plays" to try and channel her aggression!
you know, I was fully expecting exactly such a quip from Chris tomorrow morning but you beat him to it :lol:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty Ka-boom the Pirate-Queen goes through a lot of minions.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:53 pm
Kitty wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:34 pm

Sonia
Don't believe her that I'm the boss. And DON'T ever turn your back on her - I'm currently looking up "woman pirate plays" to try and channel her aggression!

Thanks, Todd
Ooh, can I pre-claim first mate? :lol:
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:53 pm I'm currently looking up "woman pirate plays" to try and channel her aggression!
Wonderful! I pre-claim the steerswoman, or something like that :lol:

;)

edit: I just noticed that steerswomen is the same as first mate. So, ship mechanics will do ;)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 1st, 2018, 4:48 pm Kitty Ka-boom the Pirate-Queen goes through a lot of minions.
awww guys, stop it or the people will start to believe all this :lol:

Devorah, Monica, you're definitely hired on board in plum positions. And all the male readers who are now reluctant to join a female crew will simply be shanghaied. :twisted: After all, we also need someone to scrub the decks and peel the 'taters. :mrgreen:

Sonia