Translation (EN/FR/DE) of Pushkin, Eugen Onegin?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Hi all,
I happened to watch the movie "Eugen Onegin" with Ralph Fiennes some weeks ago, found the story heart-gripping, and would now like to read the "original", not for LV, but just for reading.
As I do not speak russian, I am looking for a translation in verse that catches the spirit of Pushkin's original as good as possible.
German is my native language, but I could read english and french as well.
Looking for a german translation, I found that there are at least twenty to choose from, presumably even so in english and french.
Are there any russian speaking members or experts on russian literature who can recommend me a fine translation that catches the spirit, even if it is not in the public domain?

Thanks
Ricarda
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi Ricarda,

I cannot recommend any translation myself. I googled for reviews of translations of Onegin and came across some recommendations online. I will not repeat them here, though, to avoid creating an impression of preference (which I don't have). The search text I used was "german english translations of onegin by pushkin reviews" (no quotes).

Good luck!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Thank you, Tovarisch, I continued my online search and think I found a suitable Text.
Best, Ricarda
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
paulkass

Post by paulkass »

Looks like my reply is not really needed, but I hope it might be useful for somebody else. My Uni friend from Russia recommended James Falen's translation as the most successful one. Is this the one you found? There used to be a recording of it by Stephen Fry and it was free to download on the site http://fryreadsonegin.com/ which now seems to be down.
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Hello Paul,
thank you for your answer, I actually found a german translation, but I love Stephen Fry as a reader, so I might try to get that recording.
thanks
Ricarda

My reading list