[COMPLETE] Micrographia by Robert Hooke - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 29th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

DrPGould
Posts: 2793
Joined: December 12th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Post by DrPGould » January 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm

Jordan:

Here are the links to Sections 28 and 29. Their running times, respectively are 3:41 and 3:51.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_28_hooke_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_29_hooke_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 31st, 2018, 3:36 pm

DrPGould wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm
Jordan:

Here are the links to Sections 28 and 29. Their running times, respectively are 3:41 and 3:51.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_28_hooke_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_29_hooke_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Both are PL OK, but I think there's a typo for section 29 at 2:05, where 'cowag-ecod' should be 'cowage-cod' (looking at Observation XXVI, he talks of cods of cowage, where 'cod' here means 'husk'). I leave it up to you if you think it needs changing.

Also, not an observation, but I love the sound of the phrase 'gummous exsudation'. If you're curious, 'gummous' means 'gum-like' and 'exsudation' or 'exudation' means 'something that is discharged through pores or incisions'. Oh, and just for completion, 'luciferous' means 'illuminating', in either a literal or a figurative way.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

DrPGould
Posts: 2793
Joined: December 12th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Post by DrPGould » January 31st, 2018, 4:16 pm

Jordan:

Thanks for your PL. I have made the correction (In the Google Books print of the text the word is "Cowagecod" from the Hindi and refers to a plant which produces itchy beans pods.) (The picture on Wikipedia makes it look like something to be avoided.)

I was familiar with the other terms, but that phrase "gummous exsudation" I had to repeat 5 times...my articulation was a bit imprecise--I kept sounding like the guy at the pub with one pint too many. Our friend phil chenevert is a word maven also. In fact, I started a board "Speaking of English" here at librivox--but haven't been able to get back to it--for stuff like this. I am currently winding things up for a bit--surgery scheduled for Friday (I hope I'll be back Saturday...but they've reserved a week in hospital for me--it's supposed to be outpatient--but go figure).

I'll probably copy your PL post that and post it there when I get back...should get some discussion ignited--that is , if you don't care.

On another level, awhile back I told you of a project partly in Scots Gaelic that I was planning. Well, with the resources you pointed me to, and the resources they pointed me to, I have enough to attempt a phonetic rendering of the random Gaelic paragraphs in the otherwise English book, so I'm going to start that in April (Interestingly, it was easier to find translation sites than pronunciation sites). The shame of it is that there was a librivoxer who actually lives in the parliamentary constitutency of the area (Argyle & Bute) but he hasn't been here since 2009--I PM'd him anyway but no reply.

Ever forward,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 31st, 2018, 4:20 pm

DrPGould wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 4:16 pm
Jordan:

Thanks for your PL. I have made the correction (In the Google Books print of the text the word is "Cowagecod" from the Hindi and refers to a plant which produces itchy beans pods.) (The picture on Wikipedia makes it look like something to be avoided.)

I was familiar with the other terms, but that phrase "gummous exsudation" I had to repeat 5 times...my articulation was a bit imprecise--I kept sounding like the guy at the pub with one pint too many. Our friend phil chenevert is a word maven also. In fact, I started a board "Speaking of English" here at librivox--but haven't been able to get back to it--for stuff like this. I am currently winding things up for a bit--surgery scheduled for Friday (I hope I'll be back Saturday...but they've reserved a week in hospital for me--it's supposed to be outpatient--but go figure).

I'll probably copy your PL post that and post it there when I get back...should get some discussion ignited--that is , if you don't care.

On another level, awhile back I told you of a project partly in Scots Gaelic that I was planning. Well, with the resources you pointed me to, and the resources they pointed me to, I have enough to attempt a phonetic rendering of the random Gaelic paragraphs in the otherwise English book, so I'm going to start that in April (Interestingly, it was easier to find translation sites than pronunciation sites). The shame of it is that there was a librivoxer who actually lives in the parliamentary constitutency of the area (Argyle & Bute) but he hasn't been here since 2009--I PM'd him anyway but no reply.

Ever forward,

Philip
It's PL OK. Again.

And yes, feel free to use my post.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

DrPGould
Posts: 2793
Joined: December 12th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Post by DrPGould » February 4th, 2018, 9:52 am

Jordan:

Although my Latin is only slightly less fractured than my French, I'd like to claim sections 1-3.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » February 4th, 2018, 10:01 am

DrPGould wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 9:52 am
Jordan:

Although my Latin is only slightly less fractured than my French, I'd like to claim sections 1-3.

Many thanks,

Philip
They're all yours.

There's not actually that much Latin in that first section, just the epigraph, which I believe is pronounced like this:

Nōn possīs oculō quantum contendere Lynceus, Nōn tamen idcircō contemnās Lippus inunguī: nohn POS-sees O-kuh-loh KWAN-tum kon-TEN-deh-reh LIN-kyoos, nohn TA-men id-KEAR-coh kon-TEM-nahs LIP-pus ih-NUNG-gwee

Horat. Ep. Lib. 1.: Horātius, Epistulārum līber prīmus: ho-RAH-tee-us, e-pis-tu-LAH-rum LEE-ber PREE-mus

(no, I can't read Latin, I used this guide along with Wiktionary. And no, I didn't just do this for you, I had already looked all this up from when I had planned to solo this book)
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

DrPGould
Posts: 2793
Joined: December 12th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Post by DrPGould » February 4th, 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks, Jordan. (Wow--an ambitious solo).

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16444
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » February 4th, 2018, 5:46 pm

JorWat wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 3:12 am
Thanks, Availle

Section 4 is PL OK, but for Section 5, I heard 'ms' instead of 'mn' at 4:33.
Section 5 corrected and reuploaded.

It makes it easier for me to find what I need to correct in the text if you give me a bit more context. This was the sixth "mn" in the text :wink:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » February 5th, 2018, 1:58 am

Availle wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:46 pm
JorWat wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 3:12 am
Thanks, Availle

Section 4 is PL OK, but for Section 5, I heard 'ms' instead of 'mn' at 4:33.
Section 5 corrected and reuploaded.

It makes it easier for me to find what I need to correct in the text if you give me a bit more context. This was the sixth "mn" in the text :wink:
PL OK!

I'm confused by what you mean... I gave you the time code. You didn't need to find it in the text. Also, yes, that was the sixth 'mn' in the text. But the first five were in other sections. And also were parts of longer words...
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16444
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » February 5th, 2018, 7:06 am

Unfortunately, my real life has taken over what I consider my private time, so I don't have much time to spare for LV and need to streamline whatever I do on here as much as possible.

That means I don't go back and forth between the text and my recording when I deal with errors. I do not listen to my previous recording to find out what I need to correct. It's an extra step that's not necessary - IF you give me more context with the error. I take whatever you give me to correct and search for this phrase in the text and then I record it. Since you're reading along with the text and have it open somewhere, copy/pasting a few more words should be easy and straightforward.

In this particular case, I would have needed "The rusty spot mn" or whatever it was exactly, to make searching in the text as fast as possible. Yes, it was quite clear in this instance which "mn" it was, but just assume I had made a mistake on "lens" or "microscope" or whatever...
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

DrPGould
Posts: 2793
Joined: December 12th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Post by DrPGould » February 7th, 2018, 11:22 am

Jordan:

Here is the link for Section 1. Duration is 4:47.

ttps://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_01_hooke_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

silverquill
Posts: 10040
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » February 7th, 2018, 11:40 am

Just a note to our DPL:

I agree with Ava. A time stamp without some context makes it difficult to do corrections. Trying to match that with the text is not always easy. One first has to find the place in the recording, then go back and find it in the text, and it is hard to judge where that might be without some context. I try to give a sentence, or phrase to make this easier. Sometimes a PL will give me other hints, such as, "end of page --" or "in the second paragraph," depending on the type of reading. This is not always necessary, but can be nice little touches that make doing corrections easier and less likely to be put off. Still, ALL work by a DPL are highly valued!! :clap:

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » February 7th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I don't want to start a big argument about PL notes, but I always assumed that if I gave the time stamp, what was wrong, and what was right, that was all that was needed.

If I got that note on a recording I did, I would go to the timestamp, find where I said 'ms', record myself saying 'mn', and replace it. No need to look at the original text.

I will try to give more context in the future, but I will point out that I've been PLing for a while now, and no-one has ever complained that my notes weren't clear enough before.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that the Guide for Proof-listeners on the Wiki includes this sample note:
31:02 "commiseration", read "commission"
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

JorWat
Posts: 1209
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » February 7th, 2018, 12:57 pm

DrPGould wrote:
February 7th, 2018, 11:22 am
Jordan:

Here is the link for Section 1. Duration is 4:47.

ttps://librivox.org/uploads/availle/micrographia_01_hooke_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
And on a more positive note, this is PL OK!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

Post Reply