[COMP]The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-court-and-character-of-king-james-by-anthony-weldon/

A review of a certain book currently causing a bit of a furore drew my attention to this earlier text of a similar kind!
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/19/fire-and-fury-book-bring-down-president

I have given myself until the end of February to do it, but I think it might be done much quicker, to try to catch the topical moment.

The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon (1583 - 1648).
Gossipy exposés of shenanigans at the heart of government are nothing new. The author, Sir Anthony Weldon (1583–1648), was a courtier of years of experience and standing; his account of court intrigues around the Stuart Kings James I (1603-1625) and Charles I (1625-1649) was written seemingly in the tense period leading up to the English Civil War in the 1640s, and for a private readership (the printed text was not published until several years into the Commonwealth period, when the monarchy had been abolished, and he himself had died).

This text, known as the source for the summing up of James I as "the wisest fool in Christendom", gives us an insider's partisan, at times pruriently scurrilous, account of James's diplomatic manoeuvres to maintain peace with Spain and avoid involvement in foreign wars, and of the jockeying for position between English courtiers and those brought from Scotland by James, the factional intrigues and rivalries, the trading of office and revenues, and the rise and fall of favourites and ministers. Here are the details of how an ambassador flouted diplomatic niceties to retrieve his jewelled hat, how and why Sir Walter Raleigh was condemned to death, the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury, and some salaciously Puritan-shocking licentiousness, as well as the young Prince Charles's unauthorised venture to the Spanish court in search of a wife. Curiously, perhaps, there is no mention of the Gunpowder Plot, which is perhaps the one event of this time most often remembered to this day.

For the reign of Charles I, Weldon sets the scene for the descent into civil war in 1641-42, recounting the high-handed behaviour of successive favourites and ministers through Charles's and their efforts to rule without Parliament, and their increasing exactions of taxes and duties. Conservative Parliamentarians like Weldon held these to be illegal and oppressive measures and a flagrant disregard of the precedents set by the custom and practice of Queen Elizabeth I and her advisers.

A supplementary list of personalities and events referred to in the text is available to download. (Summary by Patrick Wallace)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A65393.0001.001?view=toc
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: kings, stuarts, english civil war

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. "
  • There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename courtandcharacterofkingjames_##_anthony_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. courtandcharacterofkingjames_01_weldon_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      Please use your BC/DPL login
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Patrick,

I can MC this for you.

Normally using an .edu source is not recommended as professors and students files are frequently deleted. This is from the TCP a dedicated group associated with the University of Michigan's Digital Library system so the source text should be available for future reference.

The MW is set up and started.

I removed the section in the first post about the ID tags, our catalog software will pull the information from the database the section titles from the MW.

I removed the generic login image and replaced it with a reminder to use your BC login. The generic login will not have access to the MW, your login does have that access.

David O
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:D I know it is early days, but I would love to be DPL.
That part of history has always been of interest to me.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Here's the easy one:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/courtandcharacterofkingjames_01_anthony_128kb.mp3

Duration: 3:46

The main file on King James is likely to be a long recording - is there any guidance on how long is too long, or maximum filesize, if I have to split it up?

I will also probably revise the catalogue description, and if you need an illustration perhaps an obvious one would be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_House_Conference_(painting)#/media/File:The_Somerset_House_Conference_19_August_1604.jpg
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Patrick,

The maximum file length is a little over an hour (70 minutes). You can add sections when you need to.

The description/summary can be revised as many times as you want before we publish the project into the catalog.

Are you interested in doing the CD cover for this project?

David O
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

Thanks to everybody for volunteering to help on this. Glad to have you aboard, as it were.

I've never done a CD cover, so I've no idea what's involved. Anything I can do, I will gladly.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Patrick,

I have set Helen up as DPL. I will move this project to "Going Solo."

The information on CD covers can be found in the forum under "Volunteers Wanted: Other LibriVox Projects"; here is a quick link to get there viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785 Basically it involves manipulating images and text then saving three files: a.pdf file for the actual CD cover, a .jpg file of the front cover (and a smaller thumbnail of that) for the Catalog page. As a soloist you can request that the CD cover be reserved for you to make or you can just let someone else make it after the project is cataloged.

David O
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Patrick & David,

sect 1 Title, dedication and introduction
PL notes:

1- Where is a copy of the full written text? (Even for standard, there may be times I need to refer to it.)

2-Intro. "The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. 00:32 [Chapter]" omitted.
How do you want to work this? Repeat the chapter again at the end of the intro? Your decision, as long as you keep it constant.

3-Do you want me to wait until the stats are in the MW before I make my posting in it?

:D TY
Helen

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

HZFerr wrote: January 24th, 2018, 4:11 pm
1- Where is a copy of the full written text? (Even for standard, there may be times I need to refer to it.)
I confess I didn't look too closely for online originals of the transcribed text at the link above. There are, particularly on Google books, partial extracts of Sir Walter Scott's edition of 1811. There is also Smeeton's 1817 edition:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=osu.32435003538725;view=1up;seq=6

I could work from that, but would have to include the publisher's note of that time. Do you think the listeners would be expecting to refer back to a printed text, and which would they prefer? I suppose the advantage of the imaged version is that it resolves some of the transcription blanks and errors (the "s" and "f" problem).
HZFerr wrote: January 24th, 2018, 4:11 pm
2-Intro. "The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. 00:32 [Chapter]" omitted.
How do you want to work this? Repeat the chapter again at the end of the intro? Your decision, as long as you keep it constant.
Point taken on consistency. It did strike me as odd, in effect to repeat the same thing in reverse, especially since the structure of the work doesn't itself refer to chapters in the conventional sense, but has a further title for each section. I'll have to think a bit more about it, especially if we change source text - and if the main section on King James (Chapter 2) has to be split into separate parts.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Patrick,

I am regretfully stepping down as DPL. This is getting complicated for me. You need somebody with more expertise.
I wish you the best with this project.
Helen

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

I'm sorry if I've complicated things through my own inexperience as to custom and practice. I have posted a request for a new listener on the Listeners & Editors Wanted board.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi folks,
I've had a look and a listen and I think with a few small changes you can quickly be back on track.

The next post is a bit lengthy so give me a few minutes. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Patrick, please use the text you cited when you set up the project. Being consistent and ensuring the text is in the public domain is essential to the work done here at LV.

Helen, you may access the text from the link. I hadn't worked with this site before but when you pull it up, look to the bottom right and there is a link to access the full text. That link pulls up what you are looking for.

Patrick, the template for setting up the project defaults to "chapter" but a common substitute is "section". I think that will serve you much better on this project. Here are the changes to your initial post I recommend.
PatrickLondon wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 5:59 am START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. [Section Title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Section title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section #]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The court and character of King James whereunto is now added The court of King Charles, by Anthony Weldon. "
This will change your intro and ending for the initial section you have recorded. Other than that it is PL OK. Your initial section should be section 0.

If you need to split a section into multiple parts then just add a part to the section title. Example:
Section 1, The court of King James, part 1
Section 2, The court of King James, part 2.

David, Patrick is reading a dedication and intro so when possible please change the section numbering to begin with 0.

Patrick, when you have a section ready for PL, please make sure you post it in the MW along with the duration. Since your text doesn't have chapters you can add it to the notes in the MW or when you post your link. Example: Section 3 ready for PL, text begins on page 164.

I hope all of this helps. Please let me know if you have questions. :D
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Linny,

Are you volunteering to be DPL ?

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Patrick,

I have replaced the word "chapter" with the word "section" where it appears in the first post since this project is not divided into chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3, etc. like some of our titles.

We do use a section 0 for an introduction when projects have a chapter 1, 2, 3 so that the numbering of the chapters matches the sections of the MW. Since we don't have numbered chapters here we are okay starting with section 1 for an introduction.

If you run into a recording that is more than 60 minutes in length, let me know and we can work through how to split it up at that time.

Any questions, please ask.

David O