COMPLETE [RUSSIAN] Essays of the Past by Levanda - maryanns

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Gingema, welcome to the project!
A standard PL is requested, but feel free to offer CC (constructive criticism). I've been out of Russia for 30 years, could make mistakes, esp. plagued by wrong stresses.
The second not-so-short story is posted, broken into 3 pieces:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_02_levanda_128kb.mp3 [24:18]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_03_levanda_128kb.mp3 [30:09]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_04_levanda_128kb.mp3 [29:14]
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
gingema

Post by gingema »

Mark,
Checking in (hope this will trigger notifications!)
I am out of Russia for 28 years, but will be happy to offer some CC :)
gingema

Post by gingema »

Mark,
I've getting closer to the real task, read the instructions for PLs and downloaded the three parts of the second story. Will get to actual listening this week.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

gingema wrote: January 27th, 2018, 8:55 am Checking in (hope this will trigger notifications!)
Thank you, let's see if you get notified, please let me know when you see the notification.
All you need is in this template:
  • Does the intro match the one specified in the first post of the project thread (below the Magic Window)? 

• Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time. 

• Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time. 

• Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading? 

• Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?) 

• Does the ending match the one specified in the first post of the project thread?
  • Are there 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?

However, I'm asking for CC (constructive criticism), so feel free to express yourself :-)
gingema

Post by gingema »

Mark,
I listened to one piece and have one exactly comment. Should I post it here, or PM you, or what? I thought I should be able to change the status of the piece to "PL complete" but it does not look like I have editing permissions in the "Magic window".
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Please post your PL comments in the thread so we have a record.
gingema wrote: February 1st, 2018, 7:46 pm I thought I should be able to change the status of the piece to "PL complete" but it does not look like I have editing permissions in the "Magic window".
Yeah, that was my fault. You should be able to get in now.

MaryAnn
gingema

Post by gingema »

Mark,
I listened to the "Perepolox" story, and here are the comments:

Общее замечание - я понимаю, что ты читаешь комментарии из footnotes, когда они есть, но в тексте очень много еврейских слов без всяких footnotes. Мне кажется, что слушатель или в курсе дела - и тогда ему не надо пояснять слова вроде "кугель", или не в курсе - и тогда для него в этом тексте бездна незнакомых слов, большинство без объяснений, и, наверное, он с этим смирился, раз продолжает слушать.

Часть 1:
11:02 Ты говоришь "Принцесса Шабат", а в тексте написано "Принцесса Саббать".
Часть 2:
7:52 и 7:55 меня смущает слово "нАги". Разве не "нагИ"? Где проверить, не знаю. Вот на 8:32 ты говоришь в женском роде "нагА", и это звучит логично.
27:57, ахтунг! Ты сказал "Государь" вместо "Господь" (Господь послал испытание).
Часть 3:
1:35 тоже ударение, слово "полы", у сюртука. Ты говоришь "пОлы", я бы сказала "полЫ". Но, опять же, уверенности нет.
4:48 пояснение про кугель (субботний пудинг), слово "пудинг" вдруг очень тихо, я первый раз услышала "кугель (субботний кугель)"

Все! Отличная запись, я с удовольствием послушала при всей моей нелюбви к аудиокнигам.
Следующий рассказ послушаю как только так сразу.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

gingema wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm Mark,
I listened to the "Perepolox" story, and here are the comments:

Общее замечание - я понимаю, что ты читаешь комментарии из footnotes, когда они есть, но в тексте очень много еврейских слов без всяких footnotes. Мне кажется, что слушатель или в курсе дела - и тогда ему не надо пояснять слова вроде "кугель", или не в курсе - и тогда для него в этом тексте бездна незнакомых слов, большинство без объяснений, и, наверное, он с этим смирился, раз продолжает слушать.
Я не читаю все сноски, только те, которые мне помогли бы когда мне было лет 20, так я примерно оцениваю нижний порог знаний целевой аудитории. С удовольствием поясню слова которые ты посоветуешь (некоторые сам не понимаю).
Часть 1:
11:02 Ты говоришь "Принцесса Шабат", а в тексте написано "Принцесса Саббать".
Поскольку я решил читать "пейсы" вместо "пэйсы" и "меламед" вместо "меламд", то позволяю и другие слова произносить привычно. (but these are from the next story)
Часть 2:
7:52 и 7:55 меня смущает слово "нАги". Разве не "нагИ"? Где проверить, не знаю. Вот на 8:32 ты говоришь в женском роде "нагА", и это звучит логично.
http://xn----8sbhebeda0a3c5a7a.xn--p1ai/%D0%B2-%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B5-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8/
27:57, ахтунг! Ты сказал "Государь" вместо "Господь" (Господь послал испытание).
Uh-oh. Thanks!
Часть 3:
1:35 тоже ударение, слово "полы", у сюртука. Ты говоришь "пОлы", я бы сказала "полЫ". Но, опять же, уверенности нет.
https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0#%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%84%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D0%B8_%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0, there is a table to the right, plural always stresses O.
4:48 пояснение про кугель (субботний пудинг), слово "пудинг" вдруг очень тихо, я первый раз услышала "кугель (субботний кугель)"
Thanks! Will fix promptly!
Please login to the MW (if you have the access) and change status to "See PL notes"
gingema

Post by gingema »

О, классные ссылки! Спасибо! Ударения - мое слабое место.

Комментарии в сносках я бы вообще не читала, именно потому что одним слушателям они не нужны, а другим мало помогут, потому что слишком много слов не обЪяснено.
Давай я послушаю следующую историю, держа мысль о комментариях в голове (и "привычном" произношении идишистских слов - тоже не очень ясно, что такое "привычное", и кому привычное, но найти кого-то, кто бы в этом действительно понимал, должно быть очень непросто), и если мне будет что сказать осмысленное на эту тему, я потом вернусь и переслушаю "Переполох".

I still cannot understand how to log in to MW. MaryAnn said that she granted me access, but I am not sure it worked.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

gingema wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 12:13 pm I still cannot understand how to log in to MW. MaryAnn said that she granted me access, but I am not sure it worked.
There is a "BC admin" link under the MW, try your id / password there
gingema

Post by gingema »

I did. Used the same username and password that I use for the forum, but it does not let me in.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

gingema wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 5:46 pm I did. Used the same username and password that I use for the forum, but it does not let me in.
MaryAnn, would youl please :help:
Thank you :!:

Meanwhile, I marked sec.2 PL OK (do you agree, Gingema?), sec. 3 and 4 are ready for spot-PL
Uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_08_levanda_128kb.mp3 [28:14]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_09_levanda_128kb.mp3 [30:20]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_10_levanda_128kb.mp3 [23:07]
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

gingema wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 5:46 pm I did. Used the same username and password that I use for the forum, but it does not let me in.
The password system for the MW and the forum are different. So the first time you access the MW, you need to ask it to reset your password - it sends you an e-mail and you can "reset" it by creating a password. I used the same Password for both the MW and the forum, but you must enter them separately (and update it in both places if you change it).

MaryAnn
gingema

Post by gingema »

Thank you, MaryAnn! It worked, and I can change the statuses in MW now.