[COMPLETE] Stories From The Operas by Gladys Davidson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Stories From The Operas by Gladys Davidson ( - 0).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/stories-from-the-operas-by-gladys-davidson/
"Owing to the appreciation which has been accorded to my three series of "Stories from the Operas," it has been decided to re-issue the collection in one volume, and to include in this additional stories of new and popular operas recently produced in England.

The plan of the work, as before, is to present all the incidents of each libretto in the clear, readable form of a short story; and it is hoped that the combined volume will continue to prove of interest, not only to opera-goers but to all lovers of dramatic tales. The three volumes have been entirely reset and re-collated in a manner which it is hoped will make them easier for reference." (Gladys Davidson)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56280 Tom (Vagabond) recommends this site for pronunciation help: https://forvo.com/
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard. Linny will be the DPL for this project.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Stories From The Operas, by Gladys Davidson. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Section title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Stories From The Operas, by Gladys Davidson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    storiesfromtheoperas_##_davidson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. storiesfromtheoperas_01_davidson_128kb.mp3)
  9. ID3 V2 tags, including Genre and Track Number
    Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
  10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by linny on May 9th, 2018, 4:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Post replaced by MW
Last edited by linny on January 25th, 2018, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)

Since this is not a solo, we cannot use the shortened LV disclaimer on subsequent sections. I've removed the "second and subsequent sections" intro from the first post.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
linny

Post by linny »

Ok. Thanks, Tricia. I’ll get this set up tonight.
linny

Post by linny »

All set and ready for business. Thank you for MCing! :9:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'd like to read "Rigoletto" please! I just narrated this live, so having learned how to pronounce all the Italian names I can now give it another run! :mrgreen:
linny

Post by linny »

This one should be much easier. Thanks for getting us started!
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Hi,
I spotted the link to this book on your technical advice emails, and as an opera lover I would love to make a contribution. (By chance, I was enjoying La Traviata last evening, so could not finish my test as soon as I had intended!)

I am confident of being able to complete the following section over the next two months:

7. Bizet - Carmen
17. Leoncavallo - I Pagliacci
18. Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana
27. Puccini - La Boheme
28. Puccini - Madam Butterfly
37. Verdi - La Traviata
40. Verdi - Othello
55. Short biographies of the composers

I am familiar with all of these operas and with the pronunciation of Italian names, etc.

I'm very much looking forward to this!

TD
'Make use of time, let not advantage slip'
(Shakespeare, Venus and Adonis)
linny

Post by linny »

TD,
Congratulations on completing your test! It is so nice to see your here. Sorry for my delay. Every other Saturday is always a bit busy for me. I’ll get you entered in the morning but all the sections you listed are yours. Feel free to post them as you finish them instead of one at a time. If you have any questions along the way just give a shout.

Please let me know what name you would like to have listed for the catalog as well as any website you have that you would like linked.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

You asked what name I would like to have listed for the catalogue.

I assume this could be my real name - which I would be happy to have listed - or my LibriVox name. Are there any considerations about this choice which might not be obvious to a newbie?

Tom
linny

Post by linny »

No, that's about it. Some people don't like to use there real name anywhere on the internet, others are children and the parents prefer them to use less than their full name. Some use real first name only or first name last initial or a nickname or....well the list goes on and on. It's entirely up to you.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Just a note to confirm that I am happy to attach my own name, Tom Denholm, to the catalogue of recordings, etc.

I've done some preliminary checking of the first couple of sections I plan to record, and intend to start the recording itself tomorrow.

Tom
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim sections 6 and 39 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
linny

Post by linny »

Tom,
Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/12227 :clap:
linny

Post by linny »

Kathleen,
Thank you for claiming. I'm glad you could join us. :)