COMPLETE [PLAY] The Gamester by Edward Moore - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, the finale is really very touching. All this sorrow and yet there is pent-up anger as well. Charlotte is a strong character right after my heart. :9:

Act 5 is PL ok.

In Act 4 there is one missing line:

> at 0:01: first sentence missing: “The smooth-tongued hypocrite!”

Thank you for the great performance :D

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thank you so much for finding these missing lines, Sonia! Will read and put up as soon as I can!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Spot PL for when you have time!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_charlotte_3_128kb.mp3 5.32 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_charlotte_4_128kb.mp3 0.51 KB
Kitty wrote: January 12th, 2018, 2:18 am Act 5 is PL ok.

In Act 4 there is one missing line:
> at 0:01: first sentence missing: “The smooth-tongued hypocrite!”

Act 3:
> at about 1:41: beginning of scene 4 it's still Charlotte speaking: "We were just speaking of you."
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well that was a quick and easy PL job :) Both missing sentences perfectly inserted = PL ok for both acts.

thank you so much, now you can lay back and wait for the play to unfold.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, Eva! :D

Guess I better start editing the first act...
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Alright, Sonia, Act 1 is ready for PL. :mrgreen: Everything is coming together wonderfully.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 12th, 2018, 6:32 pm Alright, Sonia, Act 1 is ready for PL. :mrgreen: Everything is coming together wonderfully.
I totally agree :9: Act 1 PL ok.

Wow, guys, you really managed to give quite gloomy atmosphere to this play, as it should have. Totally different vibe from the comedies. Mrs Beverley and Jarvis convey the sadness and faithfulness; Charlotte, Lewis and Lucy the suspicion and anger; Stukely and Bates the cunning mischief. Everyone perfect in their role. :clap: Not to forget the fabulous stage directions and intro by Rob and an interesting prologue, ironically read by the fallen Mr Beverley himself.

Highly enjoyable. Looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Hi Tomas and Sonia!

Just wanted to let you know that before I got sick over the holidays, I recorded multiple versions of all Lewson's acts, and I am now just trying to sift through and pick out the best versions. While recording, I found that the more I spoke in his voice the deeper I could get (warming up the vocal chords, I guess... but that made some inconsistency in tone). Now I have no voice at all (because of my cough, not because of stretching my voice for Lewson :wink: ). I'll get the edited versions to you as soon as possible.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote:I found that the more I spoke in his voice the deeper I could get (warming up the vocal chords, I guess... but that made some inconsistency in tone).
I wouldn't worry about that. It's not as if he is a soprano in one scene and a bass in the other, right ? :mrgreen: My own voice is changing from time to time, depending whether it's morning or evening or how I feel or with who I talk even. I think that is normal.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:55 am I wouldn't worry about that. It's not as if he is a soprano in one scene and a bass in the other, right ? :mrgreen:
lol! No, I think it’s more like swinging between contralto and countertenor.
Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:55 am My own voice is changing from time to time, depending whether it's morning or evening or how I feel or with who I talk even. I think that is normal.

Sonia
Lewson gets a little emotional in Act three and it was hard not to let my voice go up. It’s easier to play him cool and emotionless: “Just the facts, mam.” 😜
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"I think it’s more like swinging between contralto and countertenor."

I trust, before your voice gave out entirely, you took the opportunity to go the full Shirley Bassey and lay down a few bars of "Goldfinger"?

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:10 am "I think it’s more like swinging between contralto and countertenor."

I trust, before your voice gave out entirely, you took the opportunity to go the full Shirley Bassey and lay down a few bars of "Goldfinger"?

Chris
How about switching between a Cab Calloway and Betty Boop voice?
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
benderca

Post by benderca »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:10 am "I think it’s more like swinging between contralto and countertenor."
Chris
Ha! Alas, yet another opportunity passed by... although I still have the cough. That could help me achieve some of Shirley Bassey's roughness... :lol:
Ealswythe wrote: January 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm How about switching between a Cab Calloway and Betty Boop voice?
Not in this play, though I wouldn't rule it out for a future performance. :D

Okay. So here's my husky, not-as-manly-as-I'd-like-to-be (but who is, right?) Lewson, Act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_Lewson_2_128kb.mp3
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, TJ! :) It's now in the MW, awaiting Sonia's PL.

(Just remember not to use upper-case letters in file names for the future)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: Okay. So here's my husky, not-as-manly-as-I'd-like-to-be (but who is, right?) Lewson, Act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_Lewson_2_128kb.mp3
thanks TJ, and I think you sound husky enough. I really love the voice you're doing for Lewson. :9: Also his inner rage when he speaks about laying open Stukeley's schemes, that part was very nicely acted out. :thumbs:

PL ok, and that means, Act 2 is ready for assembly !!!

Sonia