COMPLETE - The Absentee by Maria Edgeworth - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

The Absentee by Maria Edgeworth (1768 - 1849).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-absentee-by-maria-edgeworth/
Published in 1812, “The Absentee” by Maria Edgeworth examines social injustice in 19th-century Britain. At that time, the management of many Irish estates suffered from the absenteeism of their Anglo-Irish landlords.

We meet Lord and Lady Clonbrony. Lord Clonbrony struggles with debt, while Lady Clonbrony tries to shed her Irishness and earn status in London’s high society (known as “the ton.”) Meanwhile, their son, Lord Colambre, is wary of the entanglements of that society and escapes to the family estate in Ireland, where he discovers the abuses that have arisen in the family’s absence.

Maria Edgeworth was a pioneer of realism in fiction, and one of the most successful and popular novelists of her time. She offered satirical portraits of society manners and sympathetic treatment of regional life. Her work won admiration from authors such as Jane Austen and Sir Walter Scott. “The Absentee” is named in the reference list “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.” (Summary by Bruce Pirie)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1473
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Absentee. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Absentee, by Maria Edgeworth. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Absentee by Maria Edgeworth. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Absentee, by Maria Edgeworth. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename absentee_##_edgeworth_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. absentee_01_edgeworth_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
beeber

Post by beeber »

Thank you!
Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

May I claim DPL on this one? It looks interesting.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I assume it's OK with Bruce. I've put you in. :)
beeber

Post by beeber »

jenniferrd wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:48 pm May I claim DPL on this one? It looks interesting.
Great! Thank you, Jennifer. We'll get rolling on this right away.

Bruce
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Next thing you know, we're moving to Going Solo!
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Looking forward to it! Thank you!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.

I should mention that Chapter 1 introduces a minor character, Mr. Mordicai, who is presented as an unmistakably anti-Semitic stereotype. Edgeworth later regretted this portrayal, and tried to make amends by basing a later novel on a sympathetically portrayed Jewish character.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

I think it's part and parcel of these stories that based in outdated ideologies and mores. As long as we recognize it for what it is, it still makes the stories enjoyable. :)

Chapter 1: Can you add .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the story? Other than that PL OK!
You are a terrific reader! I can't wait until the next chapter!
beeber

Post by beeber »

jenniferrd wrote: January 20th, 2018, 3:15 pm Can you add .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the story?
Thanks, Jennifer. Since the guideline is "no more than 0.5 to 1 second," I've always taken that literally, i.e., as a maximum, not as implying any minimum. However, I've re-uploaded the chapter with .5 second silence at the beginning.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

beeber wrote: January 20th, 2018, 3:37 pm
jenniferrd wrote: January 20th, 2018, 3:15 pm Can you add .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the story?
Thanks, Jennifer. Since the guideline is "no more than 0.5 to 1 second," I've always taken that literally, i.e., as a maximum, not as implying any minimum. However, I've re-uploaded the chapter with .5 second silence at the beginning.

Bruce
That would be an excellent question, I always interpreted it as between .5 and 1 second. Regardless - it's now PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 2 is ready for PL.

Incidentally, at 2:11, I made a little correction to the text. The Gutenberg rendering of the text reads "ecoinieres", but that should be "encoinières." I checked this by going to the original photoscan of the text at archive.org. (Not that it's very important.)

Bruce Pirie
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 2 - PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 3 is ready for PL.

There were three little spots where there was an error in the Gutenberg version; of course, I confirmed each case by checking the photo version at archive.org.
• At 7:28, "shelved a desire" should be "showed a desire"
• At 20:31, "an explanation in her car" should be "an explanation in her ear"
• At 33:11, "Now comprehend perfectly" should be "Now I comprehend perfectly"

And here's a little nerdish trivia. At one point in this chapter, someone wearing a black coat leaves a stain on a white sofa. I checked this out. Synthetic (aniline) dyes were not developed until the middle of the 1800s — that is, after the period of this novel. Before then, dyes for fabrics were made with "natural" or "organic" pigments, and black dye was notorious for rubbing off.* So, thoughtlessly sitting on white furniture while wearing a black coat was indeed likely to cause a problem. (I suppose what's going on here is that we're being reminded of the foolish impracticality of indulging in something like white furniture.)

Bruce
(* I suppose the Victorian fashion, later in the century, of wearing (black)mourning clothes for a long time was practical only thanks to the development of these new dyes.)