An oldie is back!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Hallo everyone!

Oh my gosh-- it's so so so awesome to be back and see Librivox rocking just like back in 2007!! Been such a long time! So wonderful to see so many books cataloged! I remember having this long list of mystery/detective books I wanted to eventually record and lo and behold, they're all in the catalog. Truly inspiring!

I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face browsing through forum. Doesn't seem that time's gone by at all! So wonderful to see old friends still here and still active from back when I first joined up -- Gesine, kayray, Cori, Chocholic, annise, Peter Why, knotyouraveragejo, lezer, TriciaG, digitaltoast, RuthieG and so many more! You all inspire me to dive back in after such a long hiatus. haha!

Thank you to for all the readers who've sent many thank you messages! I got one of those email messages today with a link to Librivox and here I am! lol It's very humbling to know that you've made someone's day from such a simple thing as listening to the book/chapters you've recorded. Such simple things mean so much.

So many things have changed from 2007-- we don't recognize the world anymore it seems. But thank goodness that some things never really change and still exist! A big thank you to all the new and old volunteers that have made this happen and are still making it happen. More power to you all!
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Why, hello there! 8-) Good to see you again, too!

The workflow has changed a bit since you were here last - the general process is the same, but the Magic Windows work a little differently. You'll get the hang of it quickly, I am sure. :thumbs:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, welcome back, Kehinde; it's a magnetic hobby. I still find it hard to believe that I've been recording for over ten years.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Welcome back! I'm one of the many newbies you won't recognize. :D I've been recording for LibriVox about a year and a half. But I first discovered it way back in 2008, I think, and immediately wanted to become a reader. But at the time (and for a long time afterward), I didn't have internet connection at home and thought I wouldn't be able to do it without that. Now I realize I probably could have :roll: , but anyway, almost the first thing I did upon getting set up in my current living space was to go out and buy a mic.

I hope to see you around on the boards soon!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Wait ... the Philippines? :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Kehinde! [waving] It's great to see you back again!
Laurie Anne
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good to see you again, Kehinde! Welcome back! :clap:
Allow me to echo Cori's comment: "The Philippines?" I love the PI, spent a year and a half there many years ago, wish I could return. Many fond memories, and, fortunately, retained a number of photos.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Thank you all! <3<3 I'm slowly getting into the flow of things and having a one on one with MW lol!
TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2018, 6:49 am The workflow has changed a bit since you were here last - the general process is the same, but the Magic Windows work a little differently. You'll get the hang of it quickly, I am sure. :thumbs:
You're right TriciaG-takes a bit of getting used to!
Peter Why wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:15 am it's a magnetic hobby. I still find it hard to believe that I've been recording for over ten years.
That's so awesome. Totally love it! Over ten years and still counting! :D I'm sure you've seen so much happen over the years and the different changes Librivox has gone through. Just keeps getting better!
mightyfelix wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:20 am but anyway, almost the first thing I did upon getting set up in my current living space was to go out and buy a mic.
haha mightfelix! I just thought of doing that last night after my first recording in who knows how long. I'm using a headset with a mic and the constant clicking and some noises from headset almost drove me batty. lol I think it was movement from the mic and headset. Mmm had to tweak things a bit and experiment before the noises got significantly reduced. What mic do you use?
chocoholic wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:04 pm Hi, Kehinde! [waving] It's great to see you back again!
Chocoholic!!! ~hugs! squeezes!~
Cori wrote: January 16th, 2018, 11:37 am Wait ... the Philippines? :D
Roger wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm Good to see you again, Kehinde! Welcome back! :clap:
Allow me to echo Cori's comment: "The Philippines?" I love the PI, spent a year and a half there many years ago, wish I could return. Many fond memories, and, fortunately, retained a number of photos.
lol Yes- I'm from the Philippines! Here to visit family for the holidays and will be here for a couple more months. Wish I could say I have nice lovely weather but actually I live up in the mountains so it's been rainy, wet and really cold! It's the monsoon season. Although not as cold as it's gotten for some of you in Europe and in the East coast. Also, not anywhere near Mayon volcano thankfully! I'm currently in the south on the island of Mindanao. :D

Where were you at in the Philippines Roger? How about you Cori?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Kehinde wrote: January 16th, 2018, 8:45 pmWhere were you at in the Philippines Roger?
How cool! Mindanao sure is south! I was on Luzon, about 50 km north of Manila (Clark AB, Angeles City). I was planning on visiting Mindanao at one point, but a massive monsoon crushed those plans. 103 inches of rain in 30 days (a record at the time). I reminisce frequently about my time there. Loved the scenery, the beaches, waterfalls, jungles, but most of all the people. Still have a few friends there with whom I keep in touch. (And I can still count to ten in Tagalog....) :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kehinde wrote: January 16th, 2018, 8:45 pm What mic do you use?
Well, I started with a headset mic, too. It wasn't so great, and picked up a lot of bad plosives if I wasn't careful. And being new, I didn't yet know that I could go and re-record just a sentence or two if it sounded bad, so some of my early recordings still have them. And then, if I wore it for too long, it got quite uncomfortable. Fortunately (although I was upset at the time), it died after only a couple of months. For no reason that I could find, my computer stopped recognizing it, so I had an excuse to upgrade! :lol: So I upgraded to a Samson Meteor mic. I think it cost somewhere around $40-60 USD. I like it a lot!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Kehinde wrote: January 16th, 2018, 8:45 pmWhere were you at in the Philippines Roger? How about you Cori?
I've never visited, though I'd dearly love to! My only connection is knowing some lovely people from there, and having helped proof-read several books in Tagalog (which I don't speak or read, but it was just comparing the words with the scans, and it's a nice language to look at!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Roger wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:13 pm I was on Luzon, about 50 km north of Manila (Clark AB, Angeles City). I was planning on visiting Mindanao at one point, but a massive monsoon crushed those plans. 103 inches of rain in 30 days (a record at the time). I reminisce frequently about my time there. Loved the scenery, the beaches, waterfalls, jungles, but most of all the people. Still have a few friends there with whom I keep in touch. (And I can still count to ten in Tagalog....) :lol:
oh nice! were you stationed at Clark Air Base? Ya- monsoons are no joke. :/ we got seriously pummeled in the south over the holiday season. Everyone trying to visit family and relatives on other islands lol usually people take the ferries but if there's a typhoon flights and all ferry rides get canceled. First time I had experienced being stranded!

Not a huge fan of Manila but I like the surrounding provinces. I think my favorite city has got to be Baguio-- lol mm Davao city is pretty awesome. I like it there as well. I've not gone on an extensive tour around the Philippines myself-- there are places that I've not even been to much to my chagrin. But-- it's a WIP! :D that's why we keep traveling right?

lol At least you can remember to still count in Tagalog! :D I'm not fluent in Tagalog at all-- I can read, speak and understand it on a general level but like some of the Tagalog on TV -the academic stuff goes over my head and that's when I need to ask my family for help. lol I'm more versed in Visayan/Cebuano-- my parents/family speak it and I grew up around it so I'm better than a newbie I guess lol but don't get all academic and deep on me. I seriously fail. lol

Maybe next time you'll get to visit again! :D Philippines ain't going nowhere!

Cori wrote: January 17th, 2018, 12:38 pm I've never visited, though I'd dearly love to! My only connection is knowing some lovely people from there, and having helped proof-read several books in Tagalog (which I don't speak or read, but it was just comparing the words with the scans, and it's a nice language to look at!)
Aww- understand! :D When trying to read Tagalog or in speaking it - I find some words to be major tongue twisters! It's a very flowing language with quite a few Spanish words in the mix. :D Visayan/Cebuano on the other hand, has a significant amount of Spanish in it. Showcases our Spanish heritage when Spain colonized the Philippines for almost 400 years.

Where have you all traveled to or where would you love to travel next? :D
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mightyfelix wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:42 pm So I upgraded to a Samson Meteor mic. I think it cost somewhere around $40-60 USD. I like it a lot!
I just checked it out and it looks way cool! Bet it sounds even better-- that has now been added to my 'want' list. hehehe
Roger

Post by Roger »

Kehinde wrote: January 17th, 2018, 11:41 pm oh nice! were you stationed at Clark Air Base? Ya- monsoons are no joke. :/ we got seriously pummeled in the south over the holiday season. Everyone trying to visit family and relatives on other islands lol usually people take the ferries but if there's a typhoon flights and all ferry rides get canceled. First time I had experienced being stranded!

Not a huge fan of Manila but I like the surrounding provinces. I think my favorite city has got to be Baguio-- lol mm Davao city is pretty awesome. I like it there as well. I've not gone on an extensive tour around the Philippines myself-- there are places that I've not even been to much to my chagrin. But-- it's a WIP! :D that's why we keep traveling right?

lol At least you can remember to still count in Tagalog! :D I'm not fluent in Tagalog at all-- I can read, speak and understand it on a general level but like some of the Tagalog on TV -the academic stuff goes over my head and that's when I need to ask my family for help. lol I'm more versed in Visayan/Cebuano-- my parents/family speak it and I grew up around it so I'm better than a newbie I guess lol but don't get all academic and deep on me. I seriously fail. lol

Maybe next time you'll get to visit again! :D Philippines ain't going nowhere!

Where have you all traveled to or where would you love to travel next? :D
Yes I was at Clark, many years before Pinatubo erupted and pretty much wiped it out. A close friend of mine was Visayan, so a lot of the language I learned probably more closely resembled Visayan, although I cannot speak it fluently.

Baguio is indeed a beautiful location. I visited Baguio twice (but NO WAY would I drive up to it!! I took the bus.) Friends have told me that Baguio is now too crowded. I used to drive up to the beaches near San Fernando/La Union (Bauang in particular was my favorite). Also to Dagupan once or twice. Visited Manila a few times, and Olongapo, didn't care as much for either of those two. Also traveled to Tagaytay and Lake Taal, which was breathtaking. Visited a jeepney factory on the way. And of course I drove a lot around Angeles City, Tarlac, Mabalacat, San Fernando, etc. *sigh* I miss that time. Where on Mindanao are you, if I might ask?